Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Cmon bro worst kept secret in Rugby League

Cleary basically conceded as much in his presser last night
Or its just the rumour with most legs.

I seriously cant see the difference with him and Baz at this time. Why take yet another gamble on a rookie we dont know what we will get from? At least with Potter we know we have great attack. Just needs some help in the defence side of things. And Flanno has won a premiership as coach. Even Green has won a premiership. So Ciraldo wasnt in my top 3 choices.

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You mean like TBaz was thier attacking coach!
he was attacking coach with a team that had the ability to attack with structure. With our players, we couldn’t play structured footy, that’s why we’re more free flowing with Potter, cause he doesn’t like structure. Defence is an attitude, anyone can do it

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah id take Gus's opinion over yours any day.
How do you think that you know any better hmmm experience which is what you want in a coach.
Come on water boy i thought you would know better.
Love Gus, but even the sharpest minds can get things wrong on occasion.

sacking Cleary and appointing Griffin was not exactly a master stroke.

Grimace

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a terrific job Mick Potter is doing.

If Ciraldo wants to come here then he can do so for the purpose of continuing his apprenticeship under Mick.

This is the best footy we’ve played since I can remember.

Just get a top defensive coach in to replace Furner
You have no idea mate oyr defence is shit and the guys are just have a care free approach to say Potter should be the 1st grade coach you are drunk and have no idea!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Based on logic. Name one coach who has walked into a team and completely reshaped its defence mid season without the benefit of a preseason and with numerous forced changes to his backline.

If you’re gonna come at me, at least come at me with an argument, Simple Simon.
Hahaha your argument is that Ciraldo cant coach, yet he has never been a head coach. So whats your comparison based on?
For the record, i love what Potter has done. But as per usual you have an agenda and are blind to it.
Reshaped our defense?? Lol its hardly better. Did you mean attack?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
And if we do get Ciraldo i expect him to get wins immediately. If he is supposedly better, he has to at very last outdo Potter if hes replacing him. If he makes us worse, i will be creating a sack Ciraldo thread myself early in the season, and those kind of threads usually annoy me lol.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You have no idea mate oyr defence is shit and the guys are just have a care free approach to say Potter should be the 1st grade coach you are drunk and have no idea!
So he needs some help in the defence dept. Get some defensive coaching staff in to help. Potter has our attack looking better than our last 3 coaches. Thats gotta count and we are gambling that we could lose that getting in an unknown coach at fg level......again. Potter isnt a known FG coach either, but we know what we are getting with him. I like enough of what hes done to want him to stay on with some help in defence.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. I’m just wondering your reasoning. If hypothetically the rumours are untrue and Ciraldo isn’t locked in, why wouldn’t, or shouldn’t he be an option?

I just don’t get why he’s not being given more serious consideration.
Being locked in long term is very different to being interim. They are playing for him at the moment because he is only there for the short term, things aren't too serious, and you can see that in his press conferences. He has played the interim coach thing very well.

Bottom line, there are reasons our defence has gotten worse, and those reasons need to get sorted out next season if we are going to threaten the 8. Taking over as interim coach halfway through a season with a team with only 2 wins and with the hardest part of the season behind them is a LOT different to taking charge for a full pre-season and with expectations that with the new recruits and blokes like Burto with a full season under their belts we should be pushing for top 8.

Would like to see him stay in the organisation though.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Being locked in long term is very different to being interim. They are playing for him at the moment because he is only there for the short term, things aren't too serious, and you can see that in his press conferences. He has played the interim coach thing very well.

Bottom line, there are reasons our defence has gotten worse, and those reasons need to get sorted out next season if we are going to threaten the 8. Taking over as interim coach halfway through a season with a team with only 2 wins and with the hardest part of the season behind them is a LOT different to taking charge for a full pre-season and with expectations that with the new recruits and blokes like Burto with a full season under their belts we should be pushing for top 8.

In the last 10 years our attack and defence has been shit. Potter at least has the attack flying. He may need some new defensive coaching staff. And if hes not best option, how is an untried FG coach guaranteed to be better. He has the same credentials as Baz? Why not go for a more experienced coach?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Why with all the rookie coaching gambles since Hasler? 2/2 have failed already. How is a 3rd from the same place as the 2nd one, better?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hahaha your argument is that Ciraldo cant coach, yet he has never been a head coach. So whats your comparison based on?
For the record, i love what Potter has done. But as per usual you have an agenda and are blind to it.
Reshaped our defense?? Lol its hardly better. Did you mean attack?
Where did I ever say Ciraldo can’t coach? Point out to me one time when I’ve said that. I said he is unproven, there’s a huge difference. …. And I didn’t say Potter had reshaped our defence either. I was replying to a comment stating Ciraldo would show us how to defend and asking the hypothetical question of whether he could do that without a preseason to work with the team, because that is the expectation some people seem to have of Potter.

I’m not pushing any “blind agenda”, I’m stating my opinion. Which is exactly what this forum was designed for.

You’d be better off quitting this argument while you’re behind, bro. You clearly have an issue with comprehension and you’re making a bit of a goose of yourself.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So he needs some help in the defence dept. Get some defensive coaching staff in to help. Potter has our attack looking better than our last 3 coaches. Thats gotta count and we are gambling that we could lose that getting in an unknown coach at fg level......again. Potter isnt a known FG coach either, but we know what we are getting with him. I like enough of what hes done to want him to stay on with some help in defence.
Every new interim coach whether it be Nrl Arl or any other code playing unstructured freedom or pressure plays better.
But coaches or teams over time works them out eventually.
Potter for assistant attacking coach

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooo Ciraldo would leave a premiership club maybe 2 yrs in a row with massive nursery of kids coming through that he has worked with to come to the Bulldogs to be an assistant.
Okay!?!
Sometimes people need a new challenge.

People saying no to ciraldo , you have no idea how he ll do as a head coach, neither do I, however hes massively wanted by clubs needing a coach and former dogs captain Jimmy Graham gave him a huge rap and said he ll be the next supercoach, I like mick potter and would certainly keep him as an assistant but just because mick is the first coach to make us look decent in years doesnt mean hes our saviour
People said the same about TBaz.

I guess I'm just highly skeptical given how we got burned getting all excited the start of the TBaz era only to be let down once again.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes people need a new challenge.

People said the same about TBaz.

I guess I'm just highly skeptical given how we got burned getting all excited the start of the TBaz era only to be let down once again.
Just because TBaz was shit tho doesnt mean ciraldo will be bro, TBaz was a proven failed headcoach at manly, ciraldo is wanted by alot of clubs, not every penrith assistant will be like Baz, Panthers are clearly the best team in comp at the minute and we are taking one of the key factors in that

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Ok, thanks. I understand your point of view. Still not an opinion I share.

I think there’s a lot more to what potter is doing than just telling the team to play without pressure. Our attacking structures have been looking great in recent weeks. He has given us more than just freedom.

As far as our d goes, yeah it needs work, but I certainly don’t think it’s gotten worse. Potter has been forced to make key positional changes in our backline week after week. That’s going to impact the cohesion of any defensive line. If you look at our most recent games, our defence was good against Parra, pretty good against the tigers, ok against the sharks…. The rabbits are putting scores on everybody at the moment, including top 8 teams. Kick defence was really poor today but a lot of that was Casey being caught badly out of position. If Avo plays today, we win very comfortably, imo. Fair chance we go very close to beating the sharks too, if not for Casey’s horror debut.

No doubt our defence needs work, but I don’t think it’s accurate at all to say it has gotten worse. Potter has faced a lot of challenges in recent weeks. And I don’t think there are many coaches out there who can significantly improve a team’s defence overnight without a preseason.

As far as pressure goes, I think any coach who comes to the club is going to feel that pressure. There’s a lot less pressure on an assistant, too. Ciraldo has only head coached three games, also on an interim basis. Or if we went Flano, the man hasn’t coached at any level for years. A lot of things have changed in the game since then (the six again for one). So I think there’d be a lot of pressure on Flano too. Woolf hasn’t coached at NRL level…. Pressure.

Potter isn’t a mug. He has coached extensively in the UK, and was probably given up on a bit too quickly at the tigers. He came to the club during a bit of a rebuilding phase, with the team doing poorly in Sheens’ last season…. And he also had to contend with some pretty significant personnel changes. The best part of a decade has passed since he left and the club hasn’t rebounded since, with even well respected/ premiership winning coaches trying and failing.

I want to see us playing finals as much as anyone. I think we’d have a great chance of getting there next year under Mick (especially with a new defensive coach to help him). If I didn’t think he could get us there, I wouldn’t want him in the job.

Sorry for the lengthy tome… lol. I respect your opinion. I also love a good debate.

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ciraldo assitant. Potter head coach. Simple. These upcoming super specific "data driven" assistants make for some horrible first grade coaches. They lack a certain touch. Ive seen it in workplaces and in footy. Fuck your data.
Ciraldo knocks back 3 head coaching gigs to become assistant at the spooner bulldogs lol

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is Ciraldo the defence mastermind like Barrett was the attacking mastermind. I hope for all our sanity he is as good as people are making out. There was no end of articles about how fantastic Barrett was before he arrived.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Potter did no favours for himself, saying he didn't want the job from the get-go. Granted, he has done very well because he has simplified things and made the necessary changes. No idea about Ciraldo, but I trust Gus to get this right.