bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/no-bone-for-bulldog-96204
No bone for Bulldog
05/08/2010 6:58 PM
Steve Orme
Sportal

Canterbury-Bankstown coach Kevin Moore has confirmed rugby league's worst kept secret, revealing veteran half-back Brett Kimmorley won't be offered a playing contract with the Bulldogs in 2011.

Kimmorley, currently in his 15th season in the top grade, is yet to make a decision on his future beyond this season.

The 33-year-old has been linked with both Parramatta and Canberra, however it appears former club Cronulla is now his only option should he wish to squeeze out one more season.

It has long been accepted there would be no room for Kimmorley at his current club next year after the Bulldogs signed gun Manly half-back Trent Hodkinson and Parramatta five-eight Kris Keating on long-term deals.

But both Moore and CEO Todd Greenberg have both repeatedly refused to rule out re-signing the former NSW and Kangaroos No.7 - until now.

"There's never an easy time to work out when I suppose someone's career is coming to an end," Moore said on Thursday when asked if he regrets his decision not to offer Kimmorley a new deal.

"And that's been a difficult one for us and our discussions with Brett were always around the fact that it was probably going to be market driven."

"And Trent Hodkinson became available and he's playing some great footy and we're excited about when he comes to the club what he might be able to offer as a half-back, not just next year but for the next eight or 10 years."

Meanwhile, Moore is refusing to give up on his side's slim finals hopes, insisting last season's preliminary finalists are playing well enough to sneak into the play-offs.

The Bulldogs, who currently sit six points out of the eight in 13th spot, must win their remaining five matches and rely on other results to fall in their favour.

"As far as we see it we're still a little bit of a chance in this competition so our focus is to win every game and pick the best 17 players available and that's what we're doing," Moore said.

And the coach is under no illusions ahead of Sunday's clash against a resurgent Newcastle at Energy Australia Stadium.

"Our last six weeks pretty much has been our best football of the season so we're starting to put together that good form and building the confidence and cohesion," Moore said.

"We've got our best players (available) and we're playing some good footy but we know that we've got to keep working hard and it's a big challenge against Newcastle this week."

"Obviously with them being above us (in 11th place) we can join them this weekend (with a win), so that's one thing that's in our favour ... if you pull two back on them it's like a four-point game."

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
No surprises tbh

With Hodkinson and Keating signing onboard with Barba and Roberts' ability to play in the halves, there was always going to be no room for Noddy.

It's only a matter of when Noddy will announce his future.

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's gonna be sad when Brett Kimmorley play his last game for the Bulldogs. He has played some great football when playing for us.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Brett has played some great footy since joining us and it will be sad to see him go, but honestly Brett dont push yourself for just one more year. Take the coaching roll and stay with us for many years to come.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
We threw him a life line i hope he aint bitter at the club

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We threw him a life line i hope he aint bitter at the club
This. He should be grateful for what he got and not pack a sad about it. Its a reality of professional sport and i am sure he can accept that.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/no-bone-for-bulldog-96204
No bone for Bulldog

Canterbury-Bankstown coach Kevin Moore has confirmed rugby league's worst kept secret, revealing veteran half-back Brett Kimmorley won't be offered a playing contract with the Bulldogs in 2011.

Kimmorley, currently in his 15th season in the top grade, is yet to make a decision on his future beyond this season.

The 33-year-old has been linked with both Parramatta and Canberra, however it appears former club Cronulla is now his only option should he wish to squeeze out one more season.
---

He certainly is...

It's a shame to see him play so poorly this year, despite the odd good game.

I'm hoping he takes the coaching gig, would be good for him (not financially though) and good for us.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He's 33? Fark me I thought he was almost 40.

Life hasn't been kind on ol Noddy.

He has two options I reckon:
1. Push on and sign elsewhere - in my opinion he would be doing his career dis-service to do this. Pricey pushed too far and went out on a downer, BK doesn't deserve that with all his accolades in the game.

2. Retire and take on a coaching job like Johns, and commentary job - his best option and would see him go out on a high (somewhat).

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
He's 33? Fark me I thought he was almost 40.

Life hasn't been kind on ol Noddy.

He has two options I reckon:
1. Push on and sign elsewhere - in my opinion he would be doing his career dis-service to do this. Pricey pushed too far and went out on a downer, BK doesn't deserve that with all his accolades in the game.

2. Retire and take on a coaching job like Johns, and commentary job - his best option and would see him go out on a high (somewhat).
As much as I'd love to see him play at least one more season for the dogs, I think his only option now is to retire.

The only club who could possibly take him on is the sharks, and what's noddy really going to achieve there?

Take the coaching position, and get into the commentating / media position more heavily. Trying to break into that in 3-4 years will be tougher. If he takes up those two roles he'll be earning very good cash and still be heavily involved in the footballing world.

Status
Not open for further replies.