Nine goes Nuclear on NRL & Greenberg

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...g/news-story/819b5145570fd7eab6eda55ce76e5a4d

The Nine Network statement also accuses the NRL of operating with a “bloated head office” that is driving the code into the ground.

“At Nine we had hoped to work with the NRL on a solution to the issues facing rugby league in 2020, brought on so starkly by COVID-19,” a Channel 9 statement claimed

“But this health crisis in our community has highlighted the mismanagement of the code over many years. Nine has invested hundreds of millions in this game over decades and we now find they have profoundly wasted those funds with very little to fall back on to support the clubs, the players and supporters.

“In the past the NRL have had problems and we’ve bailed them out many times including a $50m loan to support clubs when the last contract was signed.
So Nine has been giving this sport loans when they can’t pay the bills?

Super league part 2 already please just let the NRL die.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t let nrl die. Our bulldogs Are why we are all here.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Todd is done, there is no way he survives at this point

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The best case scenario out of all of this is that the NRL dies, Foxtel goes out of business and 7, 9 and 10 all have a bidding war for the rights.

All Nine are doing is trying to drive the price down. They might have a point, but they've also botched the coverage and had too much influence over the game for years, so they're not faultless in all of this.

Nine know as well as anyone that if anything the rights are worth more than ever if the comp remains at 16 teams because people will have missed watching sport so much that they'll watch it more than ever.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nine having a cry on how the NRL spend their money. They're just shitting themselves because they're easy money investment over decades is heavily under the threat.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There are teams that are a money hole/sink (Manly). There isn't really another solution if we want to have all 16 clubs survive. For the better of the game moving forward maybe it's time to let those struggling clubs die (or relocate).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
" The former bulldogs CEO" .....funny how when it's negative news they associate us with this asshole...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
" The former bulldogs CEO" .....funny how when it's negative news they associate us with this asshole...
Bring him back after he gets sacked.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
The best case scenario out of all of this is that the NRL dies, Foxtel goes out of business and 7, 9 and 10 all have a bidding war for the rights.

All Nine are doing is trying to drive the price down. They might have a point, but they've also botched the coverage and had too much influence over the game for years, so they're not faultless in all of this.

Nine know as well as anyone that if anything the rights are worth more than ever if the comp remains at 16 teams because people will have missed watching sport so much that they'll watch it more than ever.

Can’t see 10 bidding and 7 have afl
abc government owned
Sbs won’t bid
So Not sure how you get your statement as best case unless Foxtel bid again

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are teams that are a money hole/sink (Manly). There isn't really another solution if we want to have all 16 clubs survive. For the better of the game moving forward maybe it's time to let those struggling clubs die (or relocate).
Teams may be a sinkhole for money. But the fact that clubs aren't getting a big slice of the broadcast sponsorship raises the question of how much of a financial sinkhole the administrative branch of the game is. I'd assume that between nine and Fox Sports, the staff paid to film the game would be paid by them, the NRL wouldn't be paying for advertising time. It seems that clubs are paying for stadium hire and if they own their stadium, the club would be paying to maintain it. So the administration is either massively overpaid or they're overpaying for the facilities they rent. I know a couple of people that are involved in running a team in my home town and they're not getting a skerrick of funding.

So to me it seems that the profit is being pulled out of the game before clubs see it, so they're not as much of a sinkhole as the administrators. This is how the business world works. But the people running the game have obviously mismanaged the funds if they can't even coast through a single year. I don't think Greenberg will survive this, but he alone shouldn't be the only head on the chopping block.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
abc government owned
Sbs won’t bid
7 and 10 bid last time the rights were up and that is while they both shared the AFL rights.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nine are bullshit they haven't invested shit for long time and broadcast rights for a lot less than they were worth only the more recent deals are anywhere near what is worth.

Fact is thy have profited from rugby league years and they have used that money prop up other parts of their business for many years.

So now is if they don't have a full season other parts of their company is going to be fucked.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
NRL is over officiated.

why can't they just have one guy to monitor the camera angles of the ref can't rule on field?

my issue with the bunker, is it's too convenient for a ref to go upstairs.

99% sure, why risk not being 100% sure? Up we go!

I want to reserve the bunker for the 15% of trues that are very tough to see on field.

I think refs should have 2 bunker referrals a game. And that should only be one guy who's looking at the camera angles.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nine are bullshit they haven't invested shit for long time and broadcast rights for a lot less than they were worth only the more recent deals are anywhere near what is worth.

Fact is thy have profited from rugby league years and they have used that money prop up other parts of their business for many years.

So now is if they don't have a full season other parts of their company is going to be fucked.
Saying they invested anything is a load of shit. They paid for a product from the NRL they didn’t “invest” a thing. Nine were hoping that the NRL wouldn’t be back this year to save themselves $130 million but now they are going to have to stump up some cash. The sooner the NRL get away from Nine the better.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This situation raises a very difficult question; which do I hate the least, Nine or NRL?

This is a tough one...

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I can sort of see their point of view. Like the bridesmaid organising the wedding and not telling the bride. Obviously they would have had different angles/opinions on how to do (most likely in their financial favour) which maybe the NRL was worried about.

In terms of money the NRL spends, I am willing to bet the C word comes up, Consultants... they have been spending millions on these money grubbers to tell them how good they are and how to do their job.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
This situation raises a very difficult question; which do I hate the least, Nine or NRL?

This is a tough one...
I know right, quite the conundrum... I am enjoying it, though

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully the NRL fold they are poor custodians of the game. Rugby league is probaly the most tv markable sport in Australia.

How they cant make a decent profit is disgraceful.

Let them fold. Rugby league and the viable clubs will survive. Dogs will survive.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
abc government owned
Sbs won’t bid
Would have been good if 10 didn't fail in the past with their dedicated sports channel ONE HD lol

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know right, quite the conundrum... I am enjoying it, though
It's like if Kim Kardashian and Jeff Bezos ran at each other with chain saws. It is hard to know which one you want to win, you just hope they both remembered to turn their chainsaws on.