Nine goes Nuclear on NRL & Greenberg

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's like if Kim Kardashian and Jeff Bezos ran at each other with chain saws. It is hard to know which one you want to win, you just hope they both remembered to turn their chainsaws on.

haha love your work. Couldn't of thought of a better way to describe it. :tearsofjoy:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Let them fold. Rugby league and the viable clubs will survive. Dogs will survive.
this may be true. They will go to the north shore and survive just fine, but this is the issue I have with this line of logic.

If you're a fan, are u a fan of just the dogs, or the ecosystem as well!?

I'm a fan of the ecosystem. Nature lover.
By this I mean I like things like;
-our rivalry with the Eels
- the unique branding and history of Souths
- the roosters unchanged look from 1908
- I love to hate the broncos and roosters
- Manlys dominance of the peninsula and Cronulla-Sutherland in the shire. I live driving into their territory and instantly fearing and knowing I could get attacked or abused. I feel like Black hawk down without the death and it's fun.
- I like the green machine of the nineties
- I like going down the main road of Balmain and getting tiger colours and symbolism everywhere
- the tribalism, tradition and history!

This is what I love. Can you imagine Seinfeld without George and Kramer? The side characters and sideshow make it for me.
If bulldogs survive and they are up against 'west Sydney heat' or 'southern suburbs fight' id be pretty cheesed off as a supporter. Wouldn't feel the same to me. At all. I might watch a game or two but that's where it will end. The magic of the nrl that we built the game on and what survived it through super league will be lost.
Only GC feels alien to me. I wouldn't mind them folding. They feel fake and wasn't done right.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The best case scenario out of all of this is that the NRL dies, Foxtel goes out of business and 7, 9 and 10 all have a bidding war for the rights.

All Nine are doing is trying to drive the price down. They might have a point, but they've also botched the coverage and had too much influence over the game for years, so they're not faultless in all of this.

Nine know as well as anyone that if anything the rights are worth more than ever if the comp remains at 16 teams because people will have missed watching sport so much that they'll watch it more than ever.
Exactly. That’s what I was thinking. 9 wants to reduce costs as much as possible so would dig their heels in.

You would think if you have 8 live games a week you are in a position of power with what is happening in the world at the moment.

If fox and 9 don’t hold up their contractual obligations. Take the game to the open market. Get abc, sbs, 7 and 10 to bid on it. Get fox, espn, sky sports to open their cheque books if they want content. You could end up having multiple ch having multiple games a week. You could end up having more of a global penetration.

Game is close to death to be honest. Could be the Hail Mary pass they need. All or nothing play.

When you have negotiated to pay 130% of the cap to clubs. Any low ball offer from 9 or fox who have their best interest at heart will be crippling for the league.

but with 5-6 weeks until a relaunch could be time for vlandys and Greenberg to prove their worth. See if they can pull this together and get through with a pulse.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
" The former bulldogs CEO" .....funny how when it's negative news they associate us with this asshole...
I was thinking the same thing. They literally just randomly chucked that in with the news article.

Anyway, NRL and Nine are one and the same in my eyes. Both are bad for business.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
This situation raises a very difficult question; which do I hate the least, Nine or NRL?

This is a tough one...
I have the same problem with Melbourne, South's and the Roosters. I just had to accept the fact that i hate them equally as much :triumph:

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
this may be true. They will go to the north shore and survive just fine, but this is the issue I have with this line of logic.

If you're a fan, are u a fan of just the dogs, or the ecosystem as well!?

I'm a fan of the ecosystem. Nature lover.
By this I mean I like things like;
-our rivalry with the Eels
- the unique branding and history of Souths
- the roosters unchanged look from 1908
- I love to hate the broncos and roosters
- Manlys dominance of the peninsula and Cronulla-Sutherland in the shire. I live driving into their territory and instantly fearing and knowing I could get attacked or abused. I feel like Black hawk down without the death and it's fun.
- I like the green machine of the nineties
- I like going down the main road of Balmain and getting tiger colours and symbolism everywhere
- the tribalism, tradition and history!

This is what I love. Can you imagine Seinfeld without George and Kramer? The side characters and sideshow make it for me.
If bulldogs survive and they are up against 'west Sydney heat' or 'southern suburbs fight' id be pretty cheesed off as a supporter. Wouldn't feel the same to me. At all. I might watch a game or two but that's where it will end. The magic of the nrl that we built the game on and what survived it through super league will be lost.
Only GC feels alien to me. I wouldn't mind them folding. They feel fake and wasn't done right.
In all honesty im a fan of dogs first and foremost. Have been since i can remember. Since i was 3 or 4 watching all the victories in the 80's success in the 90's and then after.

I lived and breathed rugby league my whole life and played at a reasonably high level when younger. Am i a fan of the modern game unfortunately not as much as i would like. I find it hard to watch with the over policing by referees, constant rule changes, over paid players ,i found the NRL keeps shoting itself in the foot. The only real thing that keep my interest in the NRL is the dogs.

Games evolve either for the better or the worse. Its my belief that the NRL is on the decline and has been for a while. This cvoid 19 situation has shown us what poor state the game is in at a managerial level.

Its my belief in the current format the game is on a life line. Nil cash , massive inequalities between clubs. The game has been poorly managed.

Out of all this the minimum i would expect would be a decrease in clubs numbers maybe 1 or 2 or 3 or 4. Allow the viable clubs succeed and redistribute players to even the teams. Changes to NRL at exec level Greenberg has to go. I would also think a reveiw of the commission is necessary as i thought they were meant to protect and grow the game. Sadley the game is on its knees.

Maybe we need another organisation to run rugby league and not the nrl. Maybe we need a 12 team comp or 26 teams. Maybe we need player managers banned. Who knows !!

The one thing i do know is that if the game continues as is has it wont be what it was or could be.

Im hoping that this cvoid19 debacle is the kick in the arse the NRL needs to get it back to being the greatest game of all.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pot calling the kettle black with 9 pretty sure their bottom line aint that good

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I like how epl, one of the biggest sporting comps in the world, with players earning as much as a whole NRL side, has 160 staff running it. NRL has 400. Read that last week.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like how epl, one of the biggest sporting comps in the world, with players earning as much as a whole NRL side, has 160 staff running it. NRL has 400. Read that last week.
Tagging along with that point, they're not bitching that they're close to folding. I know that they have more fans worldwide. But the salaries of players reflect that too.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
In all honesty im a fan of dogs first and foremost. Have been since i can remember. Since i was 3 or 4 watching all the victories in the 80's success in the 90's and then after.

I lived and breathed rugby league my whole life and played at a reasonably high level when younger. Am i a fan of the modern game unfortunately not as much as i would like. I find it hard to watch with the over policing by referees, constant rule changes, over paid players ,i found the NRL keeps shoting itself in the foot. The only real thing that keep my interest in the NRL is the dogs.

Games evolve either for the better or the worse. Its my belief that the NRL is on the decline and has been for a while. This cvoid 19 situation has shown us what poor state the game is in at a managerial level.

Its my belief in the current format the game is on a life line. Nil cash , massive inequalities between clubs. The game has been poorly managed.

Out of all this the minimum i would expect would be a decrease in clubs numbers maybe 1 or 2 or 3 or 4. Allow the viable clubs succeed and redistribute players to even the teams. Changes to NRL at exec level Greenberg has to go. I would also think a reveiw of the commission is necessary as i thought they were meant to protect and grow the game. Sadley the game is on its knees.

Maybe we need another organisation to run rugby league and not the nrl. Maybe we need a 12 team comp or 26 teams. Maybe we need player managers banned. Who knows !!

The one thing i do know is that if the game continues as is has it wont be what it was or could be.

Im hoping that this cvoid19 debacle is the kick in the arse the NRL needs to get it back to being the greatest game of all.
The NRL is a thugs game pretending it isn't. That's the issue. Just own it ya know.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
from being known as head honcho greenberg hes now known as stinking on the nose with everyone greenturd karma