Opinion Nick Meaney on the Wing?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His body weight is fine he actually has 10kgs on someone like Ryan Papenhuyzen.
Problem with the kid is he runs into walls and doesn't try to run through them. Kids a pussy and like Okunbor just another young talent that needs to grow.

Moronic he aint learning his trade in reggies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well the warning signs came from the highlights video of his debut season: https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/10/17/new-recruit-highlights-nick-meaney/

I always said he was a "meh" signing.

Yeah he just lacks punch and aggression. Seems like he's afraid to put his body on the line and is almost too timid.

Add in lacking the ability to back up in most capacity, or inject himself into our attacking line.

Part of that comes down to Pay not coaching him properly and playing to his talents.
Abbey Mk11

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm betting he doesn't see himself as a winger either and bails before the end if his deal.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm betting he doesn't see himself as a winger either and bails before the end if his deal.
But who would take him on current performances? He really hasn't shown much at all.

I think he needs to drop back into NSW Cup and train as much as he can with first grade fullbacks. Absorb as much as he can from Hoppa and DWZ, and start killing it and physically dominating in NSW Cup.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
But who would take him on current performances? He really hasn't shown much at all.

I think he needs to drop back into NSW Cup and train as much as he can with first grade fullbacks. Absorb as much as he can from Hoppa and DWZ, and start killing it and physically dominating in NSW Cup.
He certainly looked passable at Newcastle..not here...has gone backwards.

Crighton at least shows more aggression and brings the ball back to start the sets.

Meaney getting the Pays Favs saloon run...so wrong.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He certainly looked passable at Newcastle..not here...has gone backwards.

Crighton at least shows more aggression and brings the ball back to start the sets.

Meaney getting the Pays Favs saloon run...so wrong.
Pay continuing on Haslers flying under the radar selections...confusing everyone, including his players.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A no brainer for me. If he isn’t at fullback he’s out of the team for me as he’s gonna get crunched up in most other positions
Ideally you would have Okunbor as he’s got what you want from a ideal winger who can break through the line, can start sets off Yet his in CC when he should be in first grade

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Feels like Meaney needs a year or two to get better. Also harder for development on a team struggling. He's definitely not a natural superstar.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I've brought this up countless times on this forum, and for some reason it keeps getting deleted which is CRIMINAL! But Meaney doesn’t fit the Bulldogs unfortunately. And is not his fault.

Meaney is best to develop at an established team like the Roosters, where he can develop as a young, fresh,green fullback amongst established experienced players who know their game.

The dogs on the other hand are the complete opposite. Because our team is largely inexperienced, we need an experienced,good fullback at the back to direct the play.

I think Pay kinda understands that and that’s why we went for Dalline (and please dont forget Holland). This sort of addresses that. That’s what a lot of fans don’t understand.

Our players we have in First Grade are GOOD support players, genuine first graders at most clubs, but the team is very unbalanced because we don’t have any established stars they can support. Too many 6 and 7s out of tens, when every other team has 5-7s but offset with 9s and 10s players.

You know saying, ‘Too many Chiefs,not enough Indians? Well at the Bulldogs, everyone is Indian.

We are an Indian team.

Meaney cant develop the right way with us and we haven’t got time to play long ball with him.

We are best to trade him to the Roosters and add a bit of cash on top to get Latrell, Or Ponga at the knights.

Since Ive first starting having these deep thoughts about Meaney, It's come to my attention he also has severe support play issues, he doesn’t back up the breaks. No secret really, heaps of Kennel people have commented on this recently.

Nasheed.

Last edited:

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Meaney has gotta go surely okunbore takes his place next week he is useless

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Need metres out of our red zone, and Meaney can’t do that

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
His skill ceiling is very high at fullback once he puts abit of mass on and fixes his support play... sadly our wanker coach has shattered what little confidence he had. He's either our first grade fullback or our reserve fullback, there is no other place for him in our side not even on the bench