Nick Meaney - 2018 Consolidated Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why not give the player and his currant coach a break and at least see how he goes before judging the young bloke?
Exactly. You don't put a player in to fail. I mean i know the Knights have won 5 out of the past 7 premierships and so missing out this year is no big deal in terms of Brown's career......I can see why he would just throw some plonker in. I mean who cares, right.....

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. You don't put a player in to fail. I mean i know the Knights have won 5 out of the past 7 premierships and so missing out this year is no big deal in terms of Brown's career......I can see why he would just throw some plonker in. I mean who cares, right.....
I am 100% behind this young guy and trust Dean Pays judgment in getting him to our club next year.
We should reserve judgment on Meaney until he has a full off season under the dogs coaching staff and is fully fit.
Let’s just see how he goes in a Bulldogs Jersey

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tell you what.... lets go see what Nathan Brown (Knights coach) has to say.

Hang on... Did I not just say that ?

THEY HAD NO OTHER OPTIONS AVAILABLE AT FULLBACK.
THE ONLY OPTIONS THEY HAD AT THE CLUB, ARE EITHER TOO YOUNG (Cooper), OR ALREADY NAMED TO PLAY FIRST GRADE!!

Nathan Brown obviously doesn't know what he is on about... because you know better.

How many clubs were battling for Meaney's signature? 1 ... US
Knights didn't even attempt to retain him.

The bottom line is our club got more desperate than a teenage girl 2 days before prom night without a date. They were happy to take anyone to plug the hole Mbye was going to leave, because if Mbye went and they DIDN'T secure another fullback, and it dragged on for too long, members would want their heads, and any faith in the current board would have been decimated.

They HAD to sign someone... that someone was Meaney.

Same applies to Cogger. People blew loads over Cogger and are starting to see he is an average signing as well.

Will Meaney come good, who knows, BUT at this stage in his career, he is no better than Brett Lane / Brent Crisp / Patrick Templeman (all hype and no action). That is what I am saying!!

This year Meaney has been horrible. Missing tackles and leading to several tries. Not getting involved in attack. I've already posted several highlights of his games this year highlighting it, and others agreed with my astute observations.

There is nothing to say otherwise.

Yes I have.. I watch a lot of NSW Cup. Stats PROVE what video shows. Over at the Knights forum most were rather "meh" about Meaney leaving as well, stating young Cooper (who I've mentioned already in this thread) was a better option.

How many games have you seen him play?

I'm just being realistic. Peoples expectations are way too high that he'll be starting fullback next year. Unless his defence improves dramatically, he doesn't stand a chance.

Bergamin is a better prospect, heck even Cerruto or Tom Carr is.
Yep. Definitely way too mch time.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is he actually a homo sapien? Wow.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Tell you what.... lets go see what Nathan Brown (Knights coach) has to say.

Hang on... Did I not just say that ?

THEY HAD NO OTHER OPTIONS AVAILABLE AT FULLBACK.
THE ONLY OPTIONS THEY HAD AT THE CLUB, ARE EITHER TOO YOUNG (Cooper), OR ALREADY NAMED TO PLAY FIRST GRADE!!

Nathan Brown obviously doesn't know what he is on about... because you know better.

How many clubs were battling for Meaney's signature? 1 ... US
Knights didn't even attempt to retain him.

The bottom line is our club got more desperate than a teenage girl 2 days before prom night without a date. They were happy to take anyone to plug the hole Mbye was going to leave, because if Mbye went and they DIDN'T secure another fullback, and it dragged on for too long, members would want their heads, and any faith in the current board would have been decimated.

They HAD to sign someone... that someone was Meaney.

Same applies to Cogger. People blew loads over Cogger and are starting to see he is an average signing as well.

Will Meaney come good, who knows, BUT at this stage in his career, he is no better than Brett Lane / Brent Crisp / Patrick Templeman (all hype and no action). That is what I am saying!!

This year Meaney has been horrible. Missing tackles and leading to several tries. Not getting involved in attack. I've already posted several highlights of his games this year highlighting it, and others agreed with my astute observations.

There is nothing to say otherwise.

OK so you agree then that after Ponga, Brown rates Meaney as the next best FB in the club. After that all your waffle doesn't amount to much does it. It the kids coach rates him as number 2 in the club then that's it then......

Yes I have.. I watch a lot of NSW Cup. Stats PROVE what video shows. Over at the Knights forum most were rather "meh" about Meaney leaving as well, stating young Cooper (who I've mentioned already in this thread) was a better option.

How many games have you seen him play?

I'm just being realistic. Peoples expectations are way too high that he'll be starting fullback next year. Unless his defence improves dramatically, he doesn't stand a chance.

Bergamin is a better prospect, heck even Cerruto or Tom Carr is.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once upon a time a big part of our success came from scouting for juniors that were a good off-season away from exploding onto the scene when we didn't have the talent in the lower grades to adequately fill a position. It was always a matter of rolling the dice on these players but in the past we could do it very selectively. But we're in a situation where every recruitment decision we make needs to be a roll of the dice on getting a youngster that might transition into the NRL well. Meaney might not make the step up. But with any luck he along with the rest of our group of youngsters will flourish when given a chance.

Even if some of the youngsters we've signed need another year before they offer much, they could become great long term investments. Good luck to Meaney in his debut.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I heard him in an interview I thought he was a homo.

Not that it matters.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just get this real Luke Patten vibe about him. Have said it before and will say it again.

Not a bad thing by the way.
If he has anything close to the General's doggies career, I will be very happy!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney's NRL debut a good thing for Dogs and Knights, says Brown
Send via Email

Nathan Brown suspects he is doing Canterbury a favour by handing Nick Meaney his NRL debut against the Parramatta Eels at McDonald Jones Stadium on Friday night.

With Meaney knocking back an offer to re-sign with the Knights and instead linking with the Bulldogs on a three-year deal, the Newcastle coach could easily have overlooked the 20-year-old when he was looking for a replacement for the injured Kalyn Ponga.

Stepping up: Newcastle Knights rookie Nick Meaney.

Photo: AAP
But Brown knows he is the second best fullback at the club and believes that unlike a lot of other youngsters he has thrown into the top grade before their time over the past few seasons, Meaney is at least ready for it.

"He is one of the younger players at the club over my time who has actually probably earned the right to play first grade through good consistent form in the 20s and reserve grade," Brown said.

"He hasn’t been picked for all the wrong reasons and with Kalyn out, he deserves a chance.

"He’s our next best player in that position and [selecting him] also stops us moving the whole team around."

A top grade debut looked a long way away for Meaney after he fractured his foot in the opening round of the season in NSW Cup and missed almost three months of footy.

He has been back for six weeks but the long injury lay-off didn’t deter the Bulldogs, who went after him as a long-term fullback replacement for Moses Mybe.

The fact he had Ponga in front of him at the Knights made his decision to leave a pretty easy one.

"Even though Nick is leaving us, we are at a stage of our development where we want to win some games," Brown said.

"We are probably doing Canterbury a favour but we are quite confident Nick will do the team and the club plenty of favours too and play well."

Meaney was at home when he got the call on Monday from the coach.

"I was at home chilling out. I was pretty shocked actually. The nerves started to kick in straight away," he said. "Once I got off the phone, I gave my dad a ring straight away and told a few of my close mates. It’s a great feeling."

Last edited:

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’s kicking a football in that photo.

That’s a good start for us.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That article is wrong because Mr Invisible said knights didn’t even put an offer in for him

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That article is wrong because Mr Invisible said knights didn’t even put an offer in for him
They technically didn't. There was an player option in the final year of his contract to extend with the Knights for another season. Dogs offered him three years, and promised a starting fullback role, and over he came.

It's not like the Knights got into a bidding war trying to retain him.

We really need to stop making such promises though.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They technically didn't. There was an player option in the final year of his contract to extend with the Knights for another season. Dogs offered him three years, and promised a starting fullback role, and over he came.

Who else have we promised spots to

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

With these promises, are they actually put into contracts, or is it more a "gentleman's agreement"?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Who else have we promised spots to
Cogger, Priest.

With these promises, are they actually put into contracts, or is it more a "gentleman's agreement"?
Contractual. So there would be something written that the player (or club) can choose to extend the contract another year should they have no other offers they wish to persue.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cogger, Priest.

Contractual. So there would be something written that the player (or club) can choose to extend the contract another year should they have no other offers they wish to persue.
Wrong again, Cogger admitted he was not promised anything other than a chance for First Grade. He saw with Pearce at Knights a chance was better than no chance at Knights.

Would suggest Meaney was made the same 'Promise'

'Listen mate if you come to the dogs you will have a chance to play Fullback and First Grade'

Status
Not open for further replies.