Opinion Nick Cotric vs Greatest Canterbury Centers.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Gees we’ve had some great centers at the dogs.
heres a list the greats that I remember with some a bit lesser and I’m hoping Nick can Mark himself somewhere near the top of this list in time. I think he will.
It’s all discussion and personal opinion, but let’s reminisce some of these great centers and your memories of some of the great things some of these individuals had done for our great Bulldogs club.
And who was your favourite.

My list of the greats I remember, for one reason or another.

Chriss Mortimer
Andrew Farrah
Tony Currie
Darren Smith
Matt Ryan
Jarrod McCracken
Steven Hughes
John Timu
Shane Marteene
Willie Talau
Nigel Vagana
Jamahl Lolesi
Willie Tonga
Reni Maitua
Josh Morris
Jamal Idris
Krisnan Inu
If you are going to put Shane Marteene on that list you will need to include Ben Harris who was our centre in 2004 when we last won the premiership. Harris was a solid player - nothing flash but still better than Marteene.

Also missing Jonathan Davies and Garry Connelly

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Vagana actually scored 5 in one match against the bunnies. Was so good to watch
I was there and that unfunny fat fuck Mikey Robbins (whatever the fuck his name is) was in the box above us.

The whole army ripped into the **** until he left lol

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to dream though
Dunno about Marteene being put on that list he was a honest player but he was a level below the rest of those there.

Steven Hughes could have been anything if it wasn’t for injuries. He was head and shoulders above his brothers with natural talent.
this is so true. Was easily the most talented and the best of the three through the young grades also.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of great centres are listed but right now I'd really like a speedster like Vagana or Currie, and an intimidator like McCracken on the other side. We might be halfway there if Cotric can master the position. Staggs is the man we should go for - intimidation and speed.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Willie Talua was one of my favourites along with Matt Ryan and Nigel Vagana.
I met Vagana when he was playing for the dogs, saw him out in public when I was a teenager and went up and said hello and he was really humble and friendly.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary Connolly and Jonathan Davies played centres when they were in the blue and white.
Farrar and C Mortimer were my all time favourites tough defenders with great hands.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of negative replies, which wasn’t the theme of this, how about some positive memories of who you loved wearing the 3 or 4 for the doggies.
My list is just a reminder to y’all of who wore those numbers to get the memory started.
not all of them were greats but some of the lesser did some great things.
Johnny Greaves

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post punch. Brings back lots of memories
We've had a shitload of terrific centres since I and many others here started watching Berries games in mid sixties, most of whom have been mentioned. The ones that stand out to me are Johnny Greaves, Bernie Lowther and Josh Morris. We've all seen Josh, in his prime one of the best in his position and state and oz rep player many times. Bernie Lowther came over from nz with Henry Tatana early seventies, they really added some special stuff to our team. Lowther was very quick, just a great elusive tryscorer and nz international (Tatana was a prop similar in ability to Craig Young plus a great goal kicker with unusual two steps back long range accuracy). Johnny Greaves came to us from st geo because he was stuck behind two centres one of whom was Reg Gasnier. Greaves reminded me of Puff (Gasnier) with a very similar running style and like Josh oz international. I really try not to look through rose coloured glasses, hard to be too enthusiastic about a lot of current players but I think we have some potential fan faves in Luke Thompson and the newest signings.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tonga was a great centre on his day, one of the best, another doggies legend in his won right it has to be said.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Darren Smith is my all time favourite Bulldogs player to watch, but have to include a couple of others I loved watching play like Nigel Vagana the guy was a freak, also loved Willie Tonga and Talau because they could all carve up opposition defences! Josh Morris was a great Bulldogs player for a long time and was a premium centre!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
SBW debuted his first year at centre.

Willie Tonga was brilliant in his time there.

Our best likely one of:
Darren Smith
Nigel Vagana
Jarrod McCracken

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
SBW debuted his first year at centre.

Willie Tonga was brilliant in his time there.

Our best likely one of:
Darren Smith
Nigel Vagana
Jarrod McCracken
They are my 3 favourite players also! :smiley:
I will never forget the night Vagana scored 5 tries it was one of my favourite Doggies games ever :smiley:
So loved when he counted up the fourth with his fingers :grinning:

Last edited:

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jumping the gun a bit. Cotric hasn't played a game for us yet and comes to us as a winger. I'll reserve my judgement until I have 1. seen him play centre and 2. have seen him play for us.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Didn't have the privilege to watch any of the centers of 80s or early 90s but imo nobody comes close to Willie Tonga in his prime when it comes to attack. Guy could beat his opposite with ease and set up his winger.
100% Tonga in his time with us was poetry in motion. Loved watching him carve up Justin Hodges.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gees we’ve had some great centers at the dogs.
heres a list the greats that I remember with some a bit lesser and I’m hoping Nick can Mark himself somewhere near the top of this list in time. I think he will.
It’s all discussion and personal opinion, but let’s reminisce some of these great centers and your memories of some of the great things some of these individuals had done for our great Bulldogs club.
And who was your favourite.

My list of the greats I remember, for one reason or another.

Chriss Mortimer
Andrew Farrah
Tony Currie
Darren Smith
Matt Ryan
Jarrod McCracken
Steven Hughes
John Timu
Shane Marteene
Willie Talau
Nigel Vagana
Jamahl Lolesi
Willie Tonga
Reni Maitua
Josh Morris
Jamal Idris
Krisnan Inu
Don't forget Tim Winitana..

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How good was Norton? Classic Lock.
As much as I did like Norton if you want to talk classic locks for the dogs who can go past Jason smith or jim dymock!!
Fricken legends not only of the bulldogs but rugby league in general.