Opinion Nick Cotric vs Greatest Canterbury Centers.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Gary Connelly was pretty good. Wasn't here long but a good centre.
And Johnathon Davies. That was when the English Super League season didn't run parallel to the NRL season. So when their season would finish, we would get a 8 game run into the finals with those guys. Loved watching both guys. I think it was with Johnathon Davies where we were known as the comeback kings. Always down on the scoreboard but not out.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vangana and Tonga were my Favorites with Morris and Ben Harris not far Behind

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favourite centre pairing was Vagana and Talau. Vagana was bloody quick with great footwork and support play. Talau was bloody tough both in attack and defence. Loved watching Vagana beat opponents with his speed and footwork. Talau was equally as devastating with his "get outta my way" runs. He'd steamroll opponents pretty regularly. Pretty sure Vagana scored 4 tries and had one disallowed in one match.

Tonga was good too. Pity he didn't stick around for longer.

He covered centre when injury struck a few times.
Vagana actually scored 5 in one match against the bunnies. Was so good to watch

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd add Johnny Greaves to that list.
Not many on here would know who he was, or how good he was, training and playing part time and a policeman during the week. One of my favourite all time players.

Go Dogs

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Josh Morris was a gem for us and is still playing good footy too, i fucken LOVED crackers he was one tough unit also highly rate Darren Smith,Talau and Vagana.
Tonga was probably injured too much but a brilliant playerwhen on song..anyone who can outdo that group 1 flog Hodges is alright in my book(i really hated that prick)

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You wouldn’t find a tougher centre pairing than Chris Mortimer and Andrew Farrar. It’s no coincidence we enjoyed such a successful period, with those guys at 3&4.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When did mick mullane play for us sort of remember him during the waz years pretty sure he was a center

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tonga’s performance against the Roosters in 2004 was one of the best games I have seen from a centre in all my time watching footy. He gave Hodges a total bath.
That was one of our better wins in the club's history imo, top of the table clash + they beat us 35-0 earlier in the year and then to win in that fashion while watching tonga put it over the QLD centre was icing on the cake

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember Greg Mullane back in the day 70s and 80s.
As a kid I was never sure if he was playing for the berries,sharks,bulldogs and I think the sharks again.
Wasnt there two mullanes one was a fullback for cronulla

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite so.
I'd add Johnny Greaves to that list.
We've had a shitload of terrific centres since I and many others here started watching Berries games in mid sixties, most of whom have been mentioned. The ones that stand out to me are Johnny Greaves, Bernie Lowther and Josh Morris. We've all seen Josh, in his prime one of the best in his position and state and oz rep player many times. Bernie Lowther came over from nz with Henry Tatana early seventies, they really added some special stuff to our team. Lowther was very quick, just a great elusive tryscorer and nz international (Tatana was a prop similar in ability to Craig Young plus a great goal kicker with unusual two steps back long range accuracy). Johnny Greaves came to us from st geo because he was stuck behind two centres one of whom was Reg Gasnier. Greaves reminded me of Puff (Gasnier) with a very similar running style and like Josh oz international. I really try not to look through rose coloured glasses, hard to be too enthusiastic about a lot of current players but I think we have some potential fan faves in Luke Thompson and the newest signings.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And Johnathon Davies. That was when the English Super League season didn't run parallel to the NRL season. So when their season would finish, we would get a 8 game run into the finals with those guys. Loved watching both guys. I think it was with Johnathon Davies where we were known as the comeback kings. Always down on the scoreboard but not out.
Always wondered how players played in SL and NRL at same time. Makes sense now