Next year ! I know it’s been done

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This should be our team at the minimum. If we can't get a new decent hooker then our recruitment team gets a MASSIVE FAIL in my opinion. Burton is under contract until end of 2021. Would lie the Panthers to release him early but we can't count on it unfortunately. So we need to re-sign Foran for at least 1 more year. I really don't believe there is enough room to re-sign Foran, a new hooker and Elliott so Elliott we'll need to sacrifice. We need Foran more. I hate to think how hard it would be to find the tryline next year with 2 of Lewis/Wakeham/Cogger as our halves.

1 Nick Meaney - showed against the Eels he has a passing game. Wish he had a side step but he's a better long term option than Hopa who's too slow
2 DWZ - can he try running into gaps instead of directly at defenders ?
3 Nick Cotric
4 Will Hopoate
5 Reimis Smith - hopefully his little holiday will lite a fire in his belly
6 Kieran Foran
7 Lachlan Lewis - yes not perfect but slightly ahead of Wakeham / Cogger who don't really offer any more in attack and definitely offer less in defence.
8 Ofahiki Ogden - really liked his game in attack and defense against the Eels. Hope he can keep it up
9 Daryl Clarke hopefully OR Tom Starling at minimum
10 Dylan Napa - we need a big body to tackle opposing big forwards. We saw on the weekend our forwards had trouble handling big Paulo
11 Renouf Toomaga - he trained in the off season to play edge and he is a bit of a ball player
12 RFM - I agree he's more a middle but we don't have much choice unless Stimson improves
13 Luke Thompson

14 Suaso Sue
15 Josh Jackson
16 Joe Stimson
17 ?
Josh Jackson on the bench and you've only got one new signing (I believe after retaining Foran, Elliott and Sue we'll have at least 1.5m left) who's probably the 5th best option at hooker we could get. I agree Clark or Starling should be minimum for hooker.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Jackson on the bench and you've only got one new signing (I believe after retaining Foran, Elliott and Sue we'll have at least 1.5m left) who's probably the 5th best option at hooker we could get. I agree Clark or Starling should be minimum for hooker.
Jackson is really a middle forward only. He doesn't offer anything in attack as an edge forward. I think we're better off starting with 2 big body props and having Thompson at lock ahead of Jackson. Jackson can come on when the others get tired and do a heap of tackles. Thompson could possibly be effective on an edge though as he's pretty fast so maybe him and Jacko could swap. Yes this side was "minimum" for 2021. I just hope we get a new hooker and retain Foran. I'm really concerned there's not much cap left though and that's why we offered unders to both Elliott and Foran (and they rejected). We need to sign at least 4 good players for 2022 when we'll have even more current players coming off contract so we should have even more to spend.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t mind that Talakai from Sharks from what I saw against the Broncos. Can play back row or centre. He’d be one I’d be asking a question about.

basically, I’d be putting feelers out for the following:
9. Smith, McInnes, Clarke
6. Burton - the end!
Prop - Hetherington, Welch. Bromwich is pie in the sky but hey...
Back row - Pangai, Asiata, Talakai
Centre/Wingers - Coates, Rona, Koroibete, Staines.

I’d be happy as Larry with 4-5 of these guys!!

buldogs1956

Waterboy
Reaction score
I don’t mind that Talakai from Sharks from what I saw against the Broncos. Can play back row or centre. He’d be one I’d be asking a question about.

basically, I’d be putting feelers out for the following:
9. Smith, McInnes, Clarke
6. Burton - the end!
Prop - Hetherington, Welch. Bromwich is pie in the sky but hey...
Back row - Pangai, Asiata, Talakai
Centre/Wingers - Coates, Rona, Koroibete, Staines.

I’d be happy as Larry with 4-5 of these guys!!
I agree! 3 or 4 more

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why do so many people leave Jake Averillo out of their top side.
The guy will be a gun,.
He surely has proved he has the ability even with no service emanating from our princely number 7.
Some great juniors in the 30 that have not been seen because of Covid.
We only need to purchase a 9, a 8/10 and a 6/7 and off we go with BAZ.