News "News" More Burton media dribble

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There isn't a single 5/8 in the game that earns a million a season so it isn't realistic at all.
When Thurston was playing 5/8 for the Cowboys, QLD and Australia in around 2012 he was re-signed for 5 Mill across 4 years... don't even need a calculator to know that is more than a Mill a year. Thurston was a player that could play both 5/8 and Half Back. Just like Burton will be able to once he gets more confidence in the halves. He already would be the best Half Back at the club. But that is not saying much.

If you don't think Burton in a couple of years could be the most dominating 5/8 in the game, you are dreaming. If we sign him for 5 years I can't see him on less than a mill a year in the later years.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When Thurston was playing 5/8 for the Cowboys, NSW and Australia in around 2012 he was re-signed for 5 Mill across 4 years... don't even need a calculator to know that is more than a Mill a year. Thurston was a player that could play both 5/8 and Half Back. Just like Burton will be able to once he gets more confidence in the halves. He already would be the best Half Back at the club. But that is not saying much.

If you don't think Burton in a couple of years could be the most dominating 5/8 in the game, you are dreaming. If we sign him for 5 years I can't see him on less than a mill a year in the later years.
Lol what? Are we in 2012 right now? Is Burton at the level of prime JT? What sort of argument is this? If anything your argument would support my opinion.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Burton is no where near worth a million dollars. Paying kids on potential is what had gotten clubs in so much trouble over the years. And he wont get a million from us either.
When in a few years he is as good as Munster and has runs on the board then maybe he will get another upgrade.
Mybe!!!! We never want to repeat that experience. That fraud got paid a fortune for nothing in return.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly right. Munsters current contract is nowhere near 1 mil. His next one will be more then 1 mil, but he is an established superstar of the game that has been winning comps and playing rep footy for years. Burton has a long way to go yet. In saying this, he is also very grounded, so i dont think he would be expecting that kind of money either.
His current one is more than a million. Just ask Braith

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Too be fair, I rate Ponga as the more skillful and accomplished player right now, but Burton's kicks are more important to our team as I don't see us getting opportunities in the opposition 20m zone through our forwards play.

Mahoney will improve Burton's game next year but we really need to either find a real halfback to compliment him or invest and support Wakeham.

Im not convinced Burton can be the dominant half. Another year with Flanno next to him might be the catalyst for him to consider moving on
I was more just comparing them because they both came through with similar levels of hype, Knights gambled (and gambled again) and Ponga hasn't been worth anywhere near what they've paid.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as he has shown promise and glimpses of brilliance, he really is more of a big boot at this point in time.

All his good play is still in the centres or slightly wide of the edges. He hasn't really mastered the role of the 5/8th.

So the question is.... what is he worth?
Tough one but his big boot is more than just that. It's probably the beginning of an evolution of bigger and better kickers who will go a long way towards playing a bigger role in helping their team better dominate field position in a more efficient manner. We cannot afford to lose him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Isn’t worth anything more than 600k right now.
500k is close to minimum wage for a starting NRL half these days. Yo suggest Burto is only worth 100k more than that is undervaluing him to the extreme.

If you think Burto isn’t worth at least 750k, I’m very glad you’re not in a decision making position at the club.

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone hear that fuckwit on 360? Nothing but bad shit talking against us . Buzz is a cancer on the game. Basically by the sounds of it , buzz said he contacted burtons manager ..burton won’t sign on with us till he knows the coach. So in other worlds buzz didn’t hear what he wanted to..

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We all know Gus can spin a good yarn,but we also know he is a very smart operator with his finger on the pulse. Does it seem strange that Burton's dad was wearing a doggies cap and not a NSW cap at state or origin? I honestly think Gus has the situation under control,and the less we listen to that little alcoholic grub the better off we will all be.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No, he's just a player you build a side around.
500k is close to minimum wage for a starting NRL half these days. Yo suggest Burto is only worth 100k more than that is undervaluing him to the extreme.

If you think Burto isn’t worth at least 750k, I’m very glad you’re not in a decision making position at the club.

And we are glad you're not writing the cheques either

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When Thurston was playing 5/8 for the Cowboys, NSW and Australia in around 2012 he was re-signed for 5 Mill across 4 years... don't even need a calculator to know that is more than a Mill a year. Thurston was a player that could play both 5/8 and Half Back. Just like Burton will be able to once he gets more confidence in the halves. He already would be the best Half Back at the club. But that is not saying much.

When did JT play for NSW

Also by 2012 JT had already won a premiership and won numerous games at state and country

He deserved every single dollar

Burton has played 47 FG games and 1 origin

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I think the ones that matter would have to. What about you ?
I think all the players were told potential targets, the players that are contracted for 2024 probably have a shorter list of potential coaches

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
And we are glad you're not writing the cheques either
Mate, suggesting Burton is not worth more than 600k is crazy talk. It is only 100k more than ge is on now and Gus has already hinted Burton will be offered a significant upgrade.

I may not write the club’s cheques, but I’d bet good money my estimate of what he will be offered is closer to the mark than yours.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Mate, suggesting Burton is not worth more than 600k is crazy talk. It is only 100k more than ge is on now and Gus has already hinted Burton will be offered a significant upgrade.

I may not write the club’s cheques, but I’d bet good money my estimate of what he will be offered is closer to the mark than yours.
I said 700k max