Newcastle Jets sign Emile Heskey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Alessandro Del Piero's home debut for Sydney FC is poised to become an even bigger occasion because opponents Newcastle have signed former England striker Emile Heskey.

Fox Sports News understands Heskey has joined Gary van Egmond's side for the 2012-2013 season on a deal worth around $1m.

The former Liverpool forward, who played in three World Cups, including two years ago in South Africa, left Aston Villa at the end of last season and has been looking for a new deal since.

Assuming Heskey passes a medical - which after 28 games in the EPL for Villa last season is not likely to be a problem- he will join van Egmond's squad in time for the A-League season, opening the possibility of a direct match-up with Del Piero when the Jets travel to Allianz Stadium in round two.

Heskey earned 62 England caps and though he only scored seven goals, he was usually cast as the foil for a more prolific striker, such as Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney.

His strength and ability to hold the ball up would dovetail with the youth and energy of van Egmond's squad.

The Jets last night declined to comment, citing the club's policy of "not speculating about player movement through the media".

Football Federation Australia has to sanction any marquee arrival but FFA sources have already confirmed this will be a formality.

The 34-year-old had been linked with moves to Stoke, Norwich and Spanish side Espanyol - and also an emotional return to Liverpool, where he won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup in a four-year spell.

But he recently insisted he was fit enough to play immediately for a new side. "I feel as fit and hungry as I have done in a long time and have been training everyday throughout the summer," Heskey said.

"As has been reported, I did receive a number of offers during the transfer window but didn't feel like any of them were the right opportunity for me at that time."

Brought to you byFOX SPORTS
:lol:

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
Good move for both sides, except Newcastle might regret the $1mil

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, huge coup for the a league. Wanderers are after ballack, just wow!

Last edited by a moderator:

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Would have bet my life that Oz started this

*insert anti liverpool*

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looking forward to Hesky scoring.... But won't put money on it. Surely he can in the A League.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Wanderers get Ballack, and Heskey signs for Newcastle I'm actually going to the A-League games between these clubs.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our lord and saviour has arrived.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The guy looked like a 45yo in the pic i saw. He is only 34!!!

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Heskey :lol:

[video=youtube;JO_r_Szc3Oo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_r_Szc3Oo&feature=related[/video]

P

Paint.

[video=youtube;uzcRRzdvRtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzcRRzdvRtM[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.