Newbie from Brazil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brésil

New Pup
Reaction score
Hey, Aussies.

I'm very interested in Rugby League right now, so i'm watching some NRL games (I'm still learning the rules) on youtube and doing some researches about the game. Well, as a brazilian guy it's hard to follow the sport, not so many informations in my language and the only way to watch the games is via stream. For now I choose the Dogs to root for. :grinning:

Some things that I didn't catch:

- What's the NRL positioning about the Dragons? Did they count all the premierships as one team, I mean, the St. George Ilawarra Dragons absorbed all the championships before the merge?

- I'm little surprised with the number of teams from Sidney and the fact that Melbourne has just one club, considering they are the largest cities.

- Is there any plan for an expansion? And my last question, wich are the most popular players in this club? Thanks!

obs: I didn't finish my english course yet, so i'm sorry for the egregious mistakes here (a lot of them).

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey mate - first of all welcome to a hell of a sport! Good choice.

1. I'm not sure there is an official line. St George Illawarra have only won one premiership but St George have won countless others. That's what the history books say, but many Dragons fans might like to count them all as one total.

2. Historically, all the teams were in the greater Sydney area. There were a few other smaller separate leagues (ok, one other major-ish league based in Brisbane) but by the 70s/80s, all of the best players were coming to Sydney. the Sydney-based competition then expanded by adding new teams outside of its main base - Canberra, Brisbane, Newcastle, Illawarra, North Queensland, Melbourne, Gold Coast... They have reduced the number of Sydney teams slightly (merging the Tigers and Magpies, the Dragons and Steelers plus squeezing out the Bears) but the strong history of the Sydney clubs means it's tough to change, although really Sydney could do with at least one fewer club.

3. God knows. There's talk of a second Brisbane team (much needed), a team in Perth, a second New Zealand team plus a few less likely options (Central Queensland, Papua New Guinea, Central Coast etc)

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi Bresil, it's nice to have a brazilian guy on the forum just because I have a good imagination.

Anyhow the most popular players are James Graham , Sam Kasiano ,Frank Pritchard and David Klemmer.. the bulldogs are known for their big forward pack plus these guys have pretty good ball skills which makes them fairly unique for their position

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Welcome and it's funny that a Brazilian chooses the dogs to follow, cause most Lebanese follow this club and if you ask any Lebo who do you follow in soccer they will tell you Brazil

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...

Good to see the world of Rugby League is so far and wide :grinning:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
G'day bresil,
Josh Reynolds would easily the most popular player on the team (not on this forum though)

Oh, and the dragons are about to be stripped of their premiership, for having a diving, lying, whining, piece of shit, bitch on their side.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
G'day bresil,
Josh Reynolds would easily the most popular player on the team (not on this forum though)

Oh, and the dragons are about to be stripped of their premiership, for having a diving, lying, whining, piece of shit, bitch on their side.
Please don't poison the mind of a new doggies fan lol

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, Aussies.

I'm very interested in Rugby League right now, so i'm watching some NRL games (I'm still learning the rules) on youtube and doing some researches about the game. Well, as a brazilian guy it's hard to follow the sport, not so many informations in my language and the only way to watch the games is via stream. For now I choose the Dogs to root for. :grinning:

Some things that I didn't catch:

- What's the NRL positioning about the Dragons? Did they count all the premierships as one team, I mean, the St. George Ilawarra Dragons absorbed all the championships before the merge?

- I'm little surprised with the number of teams from Sidney and the fact that Melbourne has just one club, considering they are the largest cities.

- Is there any plan for an expansion? And my last question, wich are the most popular players in this club? Thanks!

obs: I didn't finish my english course yet, so i'm sorry for the egregious mistakes here (a lot of them).
G'day. I'm not a Doggie, but you picked a good group here and a good example of an NRL team. It's a great game and it looks like you have been doing a bit of research. Only advice I'd give is don't use root and dog in the same sentence:-) LOL.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Welcome to the family :grinning:

Also, my condolences for what Germany did to Brazil at the 2014 World Cup

Brésil

New Pup
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys, especially Pom.

I didn't know about Rugby League until a couple of weeks, I have always heard about Union, for a layperson there's just one code, and this code is the Union code. Something that I realized in my Country is that everytime sports analysts are talking about Rugby they always illustrate the sport with Union examples, they never mention another Rugby variation. I think the probability to find out a RL fan in Latin America is the same probability to find out a Kanguru in the Amazon Forest. But in general, the Latin American loves any sport, it's just a question of disseminating properly the sport.

Awsome you just reminded me of a kick ass band from your homeland
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...Rb4QMBb_r0Zlw9uig&sig2=PcBc6uVs8goYRFHDkrOfqQ
hahahaha I thought it would be a Sepultura image, I was wrong. They are a very funny band.

Welcome to the family :grinning:

Also, my condolences for what Germany did to Brazil at the 2014 World Cup
Oh, thanks for the diplomacy, but I have to say that I enjoyed a little. Not the biggest fan of the brazilian national squad.

Brésil

New Pup
Reaction score
Welcome and it's funny that a Brazilian chooses the dogs to follow, cause most Lebanese follow this club and if you ask any Lebo who do you follow in soccer they will tell you Brazil
I assume that most Lebos follow the Bulldogs due to El Masri (I've been watching some of his videos). Or is there another cause for it?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys, especially Pom.

I didn't know about Rugby League until a couple of weeks, I have always heard about Union, for a layperson there's just one code, and this code is the Union code. Something that I realized in my Country is that everytime sports analysts are talking about Rugby they always illustrate the sport with Union examples, they never mention another Rugby variation. I think the probability to find out a RL fan in Latin America is the same probability to find out a Kanguru in the Amazon Forest. But in general, the Latin American loves any sport, it's just a question of disseminating properly the sport.

hahahaha I thought it would be a Sepultura image, I was wrong. They are a very funny band.

Oh, thanks for the diplomacy, but I have to say that I enjoyed a little. Not the biggest fan of the brazilian national squad.
Ha ha Yes Sepultura I gots my first tattoo of Sepultura at 15
Under a pale grey sky............... lol

Brésil

New Pup
Reaction score
Ha ha Yes Sepultura I gots my first tattoo of Sepultura at 15
Under a pale grey sky............... lol
Haha Seriously? I like some Sepultura albums, but Max Cavalera is a douchebag, really don't like this guy.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha Seriously? I like some Sepultura albums, but Max Cavalera is a douchebag, really don't like this guy.
Beneath the remains , and arise will always be classics I read maxs book . Im in 2 frames of mind about him when he was in his prime he was a metal god but didn't mind jumping on every trend I was never aware Sepultura had briefly had a singer called Wagner who went onto form sacrofago , now that band excited me lol hail Brazilian metal

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boa noite. Im a Doggies supporter living in Sao Paulo.

Status
Not open for further replies.