New zealand Vs Samoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
3) Have we found the New Zealand answer to State of Origin?

Yes we have: it's New Zealand versus Samoa.

This is just my opinion of course, but at the same time New South Wales take on Queensland, a Kiwis/Samoan series should be an annual event.

I have now been lucky enough to commentate two of the three internationals between the nations and both have been memorable.

Last year's battle in Warrington and last Sunday's clash in Whangarei were wonderful contests; incredibly physical, and importantly given plenty of passionate support by the fans.

Be it a two- or three-game series, it may just put an end to players chopping and changing allegiance between nations and make State of Origin a less lucrative option for Kiwi or Samoan eligible players.

The concept could only be considered with the support of the players and fans. Based on last Saturday, we are well placed to take the first steps.

Ideally, schedule Test matches between Australia and the Kiwis and the Samoans to follow Origin, and we could be on a winner.

What do you reckon?

Source: Nrl.com

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I reckon a new zealand vs samoa 3 game series which is played every year just like state of origin would be great for our game. It would be great to watch.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm ok with it. I think it is a great idea. Hopefully it causes more players to choose Samoa over Australia or New Zealand, or New Zealand over Origin.

However I am not sure it will. Origin players will continue to be paid more and Origin will still be the biggest event in RL atleast for the foreseeable future.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only thing that sucked about this game was they both didn't do their war dances at the same time. I've seen this done before and goodness it's one hell of a spectacle.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just let anyone play SOO ffs. SOO is what all the players want to play, let them play it without dumping there home country. Imagine seeing Graham or Foran lining up for NSW...

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What about NZ Vs the Islanders, sort of an All Stars of Samoa, Tonga and Fiji

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What about NZ Vs the Islanders, sort of an All Stars of Samoa, Tonga and Fiji
I think this is the way to go. Definitely the best way to keep things competitive.

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NZ vs Samoa or NZ vs Islanders either would be great and it boosts international footy to a point where the smaller country players are getting 4/5 tests a year instead of 1 every year till world cup or 4 nations.

NRL need to get on board too!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now the debate is on whether Samoan players can play for NZ again?

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 22086
My missus told my son he has to play for Samoa when he grows up =P...
Would be great to see players like Kaz, Marty , even Milford, represent Samoa, would give international footy a real boost ... Stand alone weekends , origin Friday, Samoa v the sheep shaggers on Saturday , Tonga v Fiji on Sunday

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just let anyone play SOO ffs. SOO is what all the players want to play, let them play it without dumping there home country. Imagine seeing Graham or Foran lining up for NSW...
That would be the end of origin when that happens. It will go back to essentially a residents game with the amount of international players that would make it. There is only 3 QLD teams so the vast majority of International players would be added to the NSW side you would imagine.

I get that some want Origin dead. But it is the biggest event that NRL have under their banner financially. Doing anything to hurt the success of it would be insane from a business perspective.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is the way to go. Definitely the best way to keep things competitive.
The islands all have traditions of hating each other and wars with each other etc. a few islanders I am mates with used to hate this idea when it was being brought up.

Reaction score
3) Have we found the New Zealand answer to State of Origin?

Yes we have: it's New Zealand versus Samoa.

This is just my opinion of course, but at the same time New South Wales take on Queensland, a Kiwis/Samoan series should be an annual event.

I have now been lucky enough to commentate two of the three internationals between the nations and both have been memorable.

Last year's battle in Warrington and last Sunday's clash in Whangarei were wonderful contests; incredibly physical, and importantly given plenty of passionate support by the fans.

Be it a two- or three-game series, it may just put an end to players chopping and changing allegiance between nations and make State of Origin a less lucrative option for Kiwi or Samoan eligible players.

The concept could only be considered with the support of the players and fans. Based on last Saturday, we are well placed to take the first steps.

Ideally, schedule Test matches between Australia and the Kiwis and the Samoans to follow Origin, and we could be on a winner.

What do you reckon?

Source: Nrl.com
Great idea

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The islands all have traditions of hating each other and wars with each other etc. a few islanders I am mates with used to hate this idea when it was being brought up.
Yea but thats more the older generations. These younger guys wouldnt be like that. My dad still lives in the old days and been samoan doesnt associate with tongans because of incidents that happened when he was a growing up. Thats all past now.

In rugby they've done it. They also done it in perth, albiet wasnt professional, Islanders vs WA Maoris.

In rugby, there were some big names that put on the blue, white and red jersey and represented the islands loud and proud. Surely league could sort something out.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea but thats more the older generations. These younger guys wouldnt be like that. My dad still lives in the old days and been samoan doesnt associate with tongans because of incidents that happened when he was a growing up. Thats all past now.

In rugby they've done it. They also done it in perth, albiet wasnt professional, Islanders vs WA Maoris.

In rugby, there were some big names that put on the blue, white and red jersey and represented the islands loud and proud. Surely league could sort something out.
Im not an islander so I'm not pretending to get it personally. If that is the case I'll take your word for it.

I think if it is something both the NZers and the Islanders buy into I think it is a great idea. A much better idea than trying to force international players into Origin somehow like Marley suggested. Origin is predicted to generate $100mill next year (that is revenue for the NRL and cities holding it though I believe), anything that harmed this would be financial suicide for the NRL. But anything that can be available for players not eligible for Origin that will also benefit the international game as a whole is a good idea.

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not an islander so I'm not pretending to get it personally. If that is the case I'll take your word for it.

I think if it is something both the NZers and the Islanders buy into I think it is a great idea. A much better idea than trying to force international players into Origin somehow like Marley suggested. Origin is predicted to generate $100mill next year (that is revenue for the NRL and cities holding it though I believe), anything that harmed this would be financial suicide for the NRL. But anything that can be available for players not eligible for Origin that will also benefit the international game as a whole is a good idea.
It would be massive for the game if origin was wednesday night, saturday could be tonga vs fiji 4pm & kiwis vs samoa 6pm. Stand alone weekend would cut the season down to 23 weeks which is still a shitload of games and players not involved would get an extra 3 weeks to recover/heal during the year and maybe extend their careers an extra year.

Again most probably wont happen but would be great for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.