News New York Freedom sacks Williams over social media rant on Hayne verdict

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210507_135732.jpg
Former Test and Origin star Tony Williams has been sacked by the New York Freedom over his social media rant following the guilty verdict in former teammate Jarryd Hayne's rape trial.

Williams had signed last week to play in the new North American Rugby League competition but the club issued a statement on Friday to say: "We cannot control what others do, but we can control how we respond.

"In light of the comments made by Tony Williams, his contract with New York Freedom has been terminated."

Williams, who represented Australia and Tonga at international level and played three Origins for NSW, has been playing for the Windsor Wolves in the Ron Massey Cup after being released by Manly at the end of last season.

He had posted on social media: "Before I let this be just want to congratulate the victim and the so called justice system you’ve sent an innocent brotherly to jail away from he’s kids you bunch of flops … that’s all respectively."

Hayne on Thursday was sentenced to jail for a minimum of three years and eight months after he was found guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent after meeting a woman in Newcastle in September 2018.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's a Muppet but I doubt he's losing a tonne of money because he lost his contract with the New York Freedom.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We lost Finucane in the prime of his career because of this fat dog.
And Taupau and Cook and others. Like with the Foran signing, there was no justification for signing him to 700k at the time. He'd had a few good games at Manly and then Des makes him one of the highest paid players in the comp. All his deals with ex-Manly staff and players were so shady. I swear he got a cut of every deal.

Malla

Reaction score
And Taupau and Cook and others. Like with the Foran signing, there was no justification for signing him to 700k at the time. He'd had a few good games at Manly and then Des makes him one of the highest paid players in the comp. All his deals with ex-Manly staff and players were so shady. I swear he got a cut of every deal.
The less I think about it the better mate. I guess its why we are in the position we are now, however can't fully blame Des. He had full control thanks to the Board and CEO at the time. There should have been more done there to stop these stupid signings.

Anyway, it is what it is and She Rex is still unemployed lol

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not usually one for these lefty reactions but this one makes me happy.