Opinion New strip rule

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why exactly did they change the strip rule?
The old rule was that if there had been more then 2 tacklers touch the player with the ball at any point they would still include that as 2 in the tackle. So for example say a player broke a tackle ran 5 meters and was untouched then got the ball striped by another player it would be classified as 2 in the tackle. So they changed it so that as long as one player is in contact at any point they could legally strip the ball.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm 50/50 on it to be honest.

Slightly side-note, why can we now contest the ball with this new strip rule, but still can't contest the ball in a scrum?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The rule they should bring back is raking back the ball at marker (Elias, Ian Roberts were good at it)

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I loathe the contest rule in the in goal in the act of trying to score or defend a try in a cross kick/Bomb situation. This crap where if the ball wobbles back and forth into the players contesting the ball is called a knock on IS RIDICULOUS. Its a contest FFS. It should only be ruled a knock if it touches the ground. No wonder why this game is going down the gurgler. My rant for the day.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They should just scrap the rule altogether. It’s stupid.

Also get rid of the zero tackle rule, or make it only for kicks from outside 30m that go dead in goal.
Where can i subscribe to your newsletter.

But seriously, hold onto the fucking ball. How hard is it?

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m so sick of all the stripping...it’s fucking ridiculous

Dumbest rule ever !!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m so sick of all the stripping...it’s fucking ridiculous

Dumbest rule ever !!!
It's made the game even messier and harder to watch. The need to go back to old rule.

I still think players should have a responsibility to hold onto the ball but this rule change has taken things too far.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t mind it to be honest. There’s not enough contested possession in league anymore. If you are good enough to steal the ball then you deserve it.
Thats how I was coached when I used to play.
We were trained to treat the footy like a rare piece of gold!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
The old rule was that if there had been more then 2 tacklers touch the player with the ball at any point they would still include that as 2 in the tackle. So for example say a player broke a tackle ran 5 meters and was untouched then got the ball striped by another player it would be classified as 2 in the tackle. So they changed it so that as long as one player is in contact at any point they could legally strip the ball.
Thats a fair rule.
If its a one on one contest for the ball then its fair game.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats a fair rule.
If its a one on one contest for the ball then its fair game.
Yeah I agree although I don’t like it when there’s 3 in a tackle and one tackler works his way in to get a good grip on the ball then calls the other tacklers out of the tackle.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I agree although I don’t like it when there’s 3 in a tackle and one tackler works his way in to get a good grip on the ball then calls the other tacklers out of the tackle.
I love it!
That almost brings the old school element back in the game.
They should allow the markers to contest the play the ball again.

How do you think the dragons won 11 premierships in a row? The grubs.