New Stadium

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This looks promising

Canterbury Leagues Club seek to skip Liverpool Council refusal for $500 million precinct development Canterbury Leagues Club seek to skip Liverpool Council refusal for $500 million precinct development

The precinct at 84 Memorial Avenue, Liverpool, spanning over 80,000 sqm, is set to become a world-class facility that will boast a state-of-the-art stadium, training facilities, and community spaces.
In a battle of interests, Liverpool City Council has come to a head with the club over the proposed lifestyle, entertainment and recreational precinct worth a staggering half a billion dollars on the outskirts of the city.

Canterbury Leagues Club has engaged a team of consultants, including Zhinar Architects and GAT & Associates, to prepare a Planning Proposal to create an amendment to Schedule 1 of the Liverpool Local Environmental Plan 2008 to allow for the 10-building project, earmarked to accommodate 1150 apartments, 44 serviced units, 150 hotel rooms, up to 1000 sqm of commercial space and a registered club.

However, the proposal has been met with significant resistance from Liverpool City Council, leading to a potential stalemate, with the council rejecting the plans in March 2022 stating the proposal, "engendered an “out of centre” development that had potential to undermine planned residential and commercial growth in the city centre" along with noting reduced walkability issues.

The project would involve rezoning the area to allow for building heights of up to 77 metres, a significant increase from the current maximum of 21 metres, with the proposed buildings ranging in height from 37 metres to a towering 77 metres.

Canterbury Leagues Club has however made an audacious move in calling for the New South Wales Planning Department to overturn Liverpool Council's refusal of its rezoning application for the major redevelopment, stating "the precinct is not intended or designed to compete with the Liverpool City Centre, but rather be a destination precinct in its own right."

GAT & Associates also noted in their planning proposal on behalf of the club that “the development is conceived as a lifestyle, entertainment and recreational precinct providing entertainment and recreation uses that are not found within the Liverpool City Centre, while also providing residential and limited commercial uses."

The plans also propose upgrades to the existing open spaces around the site, as well as new pedestrian links, which would alleviate some of the council's issues.

The site is part of a greater block of land known as Woodward Park with the subject land being directly on the corner of Memorial Avenue and Copeland Street and is positioned as the western gateway for the Liverpool City Centre.

The site is to be broken into three precincts: a club/hotel precinct, a western residential precinct and an eastern residential precinct.
The eastern residential cluster is located on the corner of Memorial Avenue and Copeland Street and will serve to provide a legible built form marker on this prominent corner. This site is the smallest in site area. The intended design is for five separate residential flat buildings with a shared central communal open space, with some buildings to provide rooftop gardens that will receive excellent solar access.

The western residential cluster similarly intends for five residential flat buildings, a central communal area and rooftop gardens.
A boulevard is intended to provide a direct linkage from the City Centre, over a new pedestrian footbridge, through the centre of the site to Hillier Oval and the Whitlam Leisure Centre. This boulevard is supported by limited commercial floor space to provide an active street.

The precinct's design is set to revolutionise the way sporting facilities are constructed in Australia. The state-of-the-art stadium will have a seating capacity of 45,000, making it one of the largest stadiums in the country. The unique bowl design will ensure that every seat in the house provides an unobstructed view of the game.

The stadium will have a retractable roof, allowing games to be played in all weather conditions. The precinct will also have a community sports centre, featuring indoor and outdoor sporting facilities, available to the community for use.

The precinct is expected to generate significant economic benefits for the local community, with an expected $300 million injection into the economy. The project is also expected to create over 2,000 jobs during the construction phase

Last edited by a moderator:

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally don’t like the idea of having a stadium and training facility all the way out in Liverpool players these days choose location and where they want to live and work to me making Liverpool stadium to out of reach with our supporters and players Bulldogs always have and always will belong at Belmore end off

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I personally don’t like the idea of having a stadium and training facility all the way out in Liverpool players these days choose location and where they want to live and work to me making Liverpool stadium to out of reach with our supporters and players Bulldogs always have and always will belong at Belmore end off
It's not that far lol

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Looks like a massive project..

Last edited by a moderator:

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate they can keep training at Belmore and play most games at Liverpool, massive clashes or double headers at Homebush and a Belmore heritage round. Easy

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't it closer than Stadium Australia

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just got approval for a new centre of excellence in Belmore. That’s where the team would be based and train. A lot of dogs fans are based in the SW region of Liverpool, Macarthur and Camden.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We just got approval for a new centre of excellence in Belmore. That’s where the team would be based and train. A lot of dogs fans are based in the SW region of Liverpool, Macarthur and Camden.
Huge population growth too bro. The tigers have abandoned the SW side of the tigers. Be great to have our own facility with a real home grown advantage.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Belmore will always be home bro but IMO this is the only shot we will have at having a regular home ground in a purpose built state of the art stadium. 45k capacity would be perfect - especially when we are travelling better

Froggo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Dog bought Liverpool pools and Whitlam centre because the Liverpool post code had the largest base of Dogs supporters other than Bankstown.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having our own stadium in Liverpool is the future. Expand our junior base around the area. Liverpool needs its own Stadium, its the 3rd city of Sydney. I personally think If they can build the oasis there as the stage one and get it to help fund the construction of the stadium. 40k stadium would be good.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I looked into this about a month back as part of my work. It's still very much up in the air as far as plans go. The original plan started in 2015 and they have been fighting for approval since then. The project has also constantly drastically changed since then. The stadium and training grounds are only a small part of the project. The main part is the residential area that will bring big money to the club.

Also, I would like to say a big F You to Bulldogs 4 Life page for copy pasting this article without sharing a link to the actual article or giving the journalist any credit.

The original investigation and article was done by Alison Warters. A solid Real Estate journalist that put in a lot of hard work for Urban. Here's the original article

So again, don't be dicks Bulldogs 4 Life. Give credit where credit is due.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I looked into this about a month back as part of my work. It's still very much up in the air as far as plans go. The original plan started in 2015 and they have been fighting for approval since then. The project has also constantly drastically changed since then. The stadium and training grounds are only a small part of the project. The main part is the residential area that will bring big money to the club.

Also, I would like to say a big F You to Bulldogs 4 Life page for copy pasting this article without sharing a link to the actual article or giving the journalist any credit.

The original investigation and article was done by Alison Warters. A solid Real Estate journalist that put in a lot of hard work for Urban. Here's the original article

So again, don't be dicks Bulldogs 4 Life. Give credit where credit is due.
It's similar to the article/post I put up not long ago.

maybe we have a combined post or forum for Stadium stuff?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's similar to the article/post I put up not long ago.

maybe we have a combined post or forum for Stadium stuff?
Or the one I put up before that

Probably should merge all the threads, but I'm too lazy to do it myself. One of the admins could probably do it.