New rule changes - How will it affect our team?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be a silly question ... but hypothetically - scores are locked, there is 7 minutes remaining in the game. Dogs are attacking 40m out from opposition try line. There is a ruck infringement. Does the ref give a penalty or 6 again? That decision could decide the result

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Might be a silly question ... but hypothetically - scores are locked, there is 7 minutes remaining in the game. Dogs are attacking 40m out from opposition try line. There is a ruck infringement. Does the ref give a penalty or 6 again? That decision could decide the result
Hopefully six again as we cant kick goals from that far out. Also, 7 minutes out from full time is an eternity if the scores are locked but, if we are involved I have a chubby and my mind is so deluded I cant make any sensible decisions...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm not sure? Guess if the attackers are like "na fuck it" and just drop the ball then a penalty is awarded? Guess we'll find out tonight.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure? Guess if the attackers are like "na fuck it" and just drop the ball then a penalty is awarded? Guess we'll find out tonight.
Yea will have to watch and see. Seems to grey to me. There will be times when teams get the 6 again and then fumble the ball and wish they just got the penalty and a chance for field position or a shot at goal

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yea will have to watch and see. Seems to grey to me. There will be times when teams get the 6 again and then fumble the ball and wish they just got the penalty and a chance for field position or a shot at goal
Tonight will be funny, I'm certain the execution of this rule will be messed up multiple times haha

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see what Pay has coached the players to do in this instance.
We can now put pressure on teams thru the middle thru quick play the balls. I'd like to see us playing thru the middle more with DWZ, Meaney etc poking around the middle when we get 6 again, rely on their speed to create chances. Move the opposition middle forwards around laterally with switches of play between the halves from side to side.
In terms of defence, we're a small but mobile forward pack, defensive structures are mostly good since mid 2019. Hopefully when we get the 6 again call against us it won't have a great impact.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm hating this rule already. It's like union, or unlimited tackles. The penalty and kick or quick tap is fair.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The whole game seemed faster and there was less penalties but we will have to see more games before knowing what has definitely changed. One thing for sure the tackle re-start looks to be back breaker it results in a try or a huge amount of possession.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was deff faster, flowed better .. but time will tell..!!

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Like the way the new rules worked tonight but I’m shitting myself with how we will adapt with low quality side and tuck infringement machine Elliott in the team we could be gassed in 15 mins and have cricket scores against us, hope im wrong.... really wrong

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know Tolman isn’t the most popular player on here, but it can’t be understated how much clean up he does in the middle when we are on the backfoot. He does a lot in cover defence and is our best wrestler. With him looking like he’s not playing this weekend I have a feeling we will struggle hard with Napa and Sue starting in the middle.
more cons then pros in Tolmans game!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like the way the new rules worked tonight but I’m shitting myself with how we will adapt with low quality side and tuck infringement machine Elliott in the team we could be gassed in 15 mins and have cricket scores against us, hope im wrong.... really wrong
Weren't we one of the better disciplined teams last year and the year before??
After Parramatta received 6 again calls twice in a row and scored within the first few minutes, I thought, fuck this, here we go, this new rule is going to be a disaster. But then it didn't actually happen again for a long time. And only once more if I'm not mistaken. So it didn't impact the outcome as much as I'd anticipated.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shows how dumb pay is wakeham would be great with new rules
I agree but I think Cogger will have a good game with this new rule change. And not seeing Lewis kick for touch every time with that twirl of the ball and that daft grin on his face and two minutes later he finally kicks the ball means this rule change is a win :tearsofjoy:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We will likely be the first team fucked over by it even though we play last.. nah who am I kidding we will get romped so a penalty goal won't matter
I'm hating this rule already. It's like union, or unlimited tackles. The penalty and kick or quick tap is fair.
Yep it should be restricted inside the opp half maybe within 20-30m zone

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Having just the one ref at least means we don't have two guys with different interpretations of the same rules. I was getting tired of watching sides get away with holding down and similar infringements at one end of the field, while we were penalised at the opposite end.

The speed of the game will go against us, as we seem to be the least fit team in the NRL. I expect most teams will pile on the points in the final 10 minutes of the first half, and the final 20 minutes of the second half - much as they've been doing the past three seasons.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If that's the pace most games are played at due to the rule changes then I think defensive minded teams like ours will struggle. Teams that play up tempo in attack and who get it through hands quickly will be able to rack up points.

The more methodical teams who have limited strike power will struggle. I'm terrified of what DCE and Turbo will do to us on Sunday if it's an up tempo game.