New rule changes - How will it affect our team?

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
we will get exposed our unfit our team is
We aren't unfit. We get tired out due to poor go forward and a lack of variety around the ruck which leads to losing the battle of field position.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gone are the days of the big slow forwards,having watched the first 3 games,with new rules the teams with mobile forwards have been the victors,now we are not blessed with mobility,and I can see y Tolman has been left out,

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From the first few games, the new rules favours teams that will quickly switch to attacking formation or have players that are "footballers" & not "athletes". These players can sense opportunities in tired defensive lines.
I am worried that the Dogs will use 4 of an extra 6 sets & tuck the ball under their arms for settlers. They will need to be adventurous & put the opposition under pressure.
Interesting to see how effective the Dogs will be against Manly.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
From the first few games, the new rules favours teams that will quickly switch to attacking formation or have players that are "footballers" & not "athletes". These players can sense opportunities in tired defensive lines.
I am worried that the Dogs will use 4 of an extra 6 sets & tuck the ball under their arms for settlers. They will need to be adventurous & put the opposition under pressure.
Totally agree, will be interesting to see how C.Smith goes with his “spoiling” tactics when defending his own line.

This could really hurt the teams that play that shit type of game...

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have concerns that the 6 again rule will create the situation where be there will be possession will be so lopsided that the games will be decided in the first 15-20 minutes. In the Parra Broncos game the Broncos did so much defending and used up so much energy in the first half that they were spent in the last 20 of the game.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We don't have a good number 9 so our play through the ruck won't change.

One of our halves does not play straight let alone run the ball. Our fullback does not have any combinations around the ruck. Look I don't want to be negative, we are still fielding most of the players who lost to the Raiders reserve team last year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have concerns that the 6 again rule will create the situation where be there will be possession will be so lopsided that the games will be decided in the first 15-20 minutes. In the Parra Broncos game the Broncos did so much defending and used up so much energy in the first half that they were spent in the last 20 of the game.
Spot on. This will lead to way more blowouts. So while it's great to have less wrestle and a quicker game, it is also being played at such a fast pace that teams will capitulate way more than before and there'll be a lot less close games.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree and I reckon Cogger is way more of a footballer than Lewis (so is Wakeham). Problem with Cogger is he's slow, but he can give clean ball so we need Lewis off and Averillo on as early as possible. The need for less settlers is maybe why Tolman is out.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How the team adjusts to the new rules will really determine Pay's future.

If he adapts, plays a more expensive style and chooses more mobile players that suit the quicker pace, we can surprise a lot of teams. We have dangerous players who are better suited to the new rules. They just need to play and be trusted to play their natural game.

If he persists with playing a one out, conservative and defensive brand of footy and keeps playing less mobile or defensive players huge minutes, then we'll struggle more than ever to get wins.

The sign of a good coach is to be able to adapt and be flexible tactically. We'll soon find out whether Pay is up to the challenge.