News New recruit Jack Hetherington opens up on joining a proud list of Bulldogs enforcers

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a kid, Jack Hetherington loved watching Ogre run amok.

On the field.

With his fists.

Didn’t matter.

Same story with Big Willie.

SBW, too.

Jack Hetherington can’t wait to kick off his Belmore career.

Jack Hetherington can’t wait to kick off his Belmore career.
“I’d get on YouTube and watch clips of those three for hours,” Hetherington says, referencing 2004 Canterbury premiership trio Mark O’Meley, Willie Mason and Sonny Bill Williams.

“It was unreal.

“All I did was watch them putting on big hits or fight.”

But as for his favourite?

“Had to be Ogre,” he continues of the old Bulldogs enforcer.

“There was an Origin game where he fought Queenslander Michael Crocker — great blue.

“I loved watching that one.”

Same deal when Willie Mason, playing for Australia, kayoed Englishman Stuart Fielden.

Or when Williams wheeled out those shoulder charges deadly enough to eventually be outlawed altogether.

Hetherington and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves get up nice and close.

Hetherington and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves get up nice and close.
Which today, is wonderfully apt.

Once a fan of Canterbury enforcers, Hetherington is now set to become one.

Hand-picked by new Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett, the 24-year-old has been identified as a player capable of inking his own name to a list of Bulldogs toughs including not only Ogre, Big Willie and SBW, but also men like David Gillespie, Kevin Ryan, Peter Kelly and Geoff Robinson.

Despite boasting just 23 NRL appearances, Hetherington is quickly becoming not only a fan favourite, but also ‘must watch’ TV thanks to his willingness to take on some of rugby league’s most feared names.

In Round 12 this year, for example, the Warriors loan prop was suspended for a month following his high shot on Manly Sea Eagle Marty Taupau.

A fortnight earlier, the grandson of Eastern Suburbs legend Bill Mullins was also involved in a heated exchange with Roosters firebrand Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, after which the hulking New Zealander refused to shake hands.

“But that was made out to be bigger than it was,” Hetherington insisted of the showdown.

“And I’ve got nothing against Jared at all.

“Personally, what happens on the field stays there.”

Mark O’Meley is an inspiration.

Mark O’Meley is an inspiration.
SBW and one his famous shoulder charges.

SBW and one his famous shoulder charges.

But as for JWH refusing to shake your hand?

“Maybe he had the s****s that day,” the former Penrith forward continued. “I know we were both talking smack on the field so I wasn’t really surprised by it.

“But as I said, there’s no animosity from me.

“I actually look up to Jared.

“As a player, he’s a beast.

“And if I can go on to achieve even half of what he has, I’ll be happy.”

Importantly, Hetherington understands any future success means improving a tackling style that, more than once, has seen him go before the NRL judiciary.

As result, the new Bulldogs recruit is working closely on his defensive technique with Bulldogs assistant coach David Furner.

“When I get fatigued, I struggle to bend my back,” Hetherington explained.

Hetherington paid the price for this tackle on Marty Taupau.

Hetherington paid the price for this tackle on Marty Taupau.
“I become a bit ‘armsy’ when I tackle.

“Like the hit against Marty Taupau that got me suspended.

“Or against the Roosters last year, when I got James Tedesco a bit high.

“So I just need to get that right. Bend my body a little more”.

But as for fearing his reputation could be starting to count against him within the NRL refereeing ranks?

“Not at all,” he insisted.

“I only worry about what I control, which is what I do on the field.

“And I’m going out there to be a good footy player. To be somebody that people want to play alongside.

“So I’ll definitely have everything right.

“I just need to be fit and I know come the season opener I’ll be extremely fit. Everything is going to be tip top.”

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm actually starting to get excited about this signing, but please don't get suspended :(
Yeah, hearing the right noises about previous suspensions. Time will tell if it really comes down to a technique issue, but at least they seem to feel they've identified an issue and are addressing it. Also good to hear that the coaching staff are working on this kind of thing, heard of way too little of it in the last year or two.

Can't afford to have this guy suspended for more than a game or two this season, our pack is down on numbers enough as it is.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't fault his attitude, says the right things and from all accounts, seems to be leading the way in training.
Hard to get better inspiration in the modern NRL era than Shrek; what a legend he is.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone talks a big game in the off season, (cough Napa cough) I like Jack and his enthusiasm but besides cutting out the suspensions, I really want to see him consistently bend the line and eat up the meters for us like a barn storming Mark Ogre O'Meley :grinning:

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is Zelezniak waiting for the pass? or is he scared of the ball?

He looks like he is holding his hands up to say not to me :p Hopefully we can move him, guy just doesn't have "it". Good winger when on form, but out of form is borderline a park footballer. What a difference confidence makes......

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Best part of that footage when gibbs was knocked was big willie standing there and giving gibbs I gob full
U don't see passion like that anymore .a little bit a few years ago when jackson told parras nathan Brown he was a dog for his hit on DWZ.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hard not to like this young bloke, hope he gets his game in order and does well for us. Furner should be great for him
Agree, I think he’ll become a bit of a fan favourite the way he competes and never takes a backward step

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Needs to be more offseason training pics like they used to do in previous offseasons.

Not sure why were not getting these pics on the official Dogs website

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone talks a big game in the off season, (cough Napa cough) I like Jack and his enthusiasm but besides cutting out the suspensions, I really want to see him consistently bend the line and eat up the meters for us like a barn storming Mark Ogre O'Meley :grinning:

FMD that's good footage, that's the NRL I loved.
Ogre, what an absolute hero, what i'd give to have another prop or 2 like that in our side.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FMD that's good footage, that's the NRL I loved.
Ogre, what an absolute hero, what i'd give to have another prop or 2 like that in our side.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having another Willie Mason either :grinning: These old warhorses were doers, not posers aka like Napa big and built like a brick shit house but lacking in heart and intestinal fortitude. These old boys spoke with their actions and lead from the front....I love Hetherington's attitude he has a great mind set, I just hope he can back it up on the field when it counts. We all talk about Jack getting under Jared Waerea-Hargreaves' skin but JWH still ran for 180 meters to Jack's 46 meters that game. In that sense Jack still has a lot of work to do.