CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From the Guardian/AAP:

NRL finally announce sale of Gold Coast Titans to Kelly-Frizelle team
  • Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle pip Stuart McAuliffe to take on Titans
  • Dennis Watt named as club’s new executive chairman

The NRL put the Titans up for sale in late August after the club’s collapse three years ago. Photograph: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images

Australian Associated Press
Published:09:43 AEST Fri 15 December 2017

Newly appointed Gold Coast co-owner Rebecca Frizelle has started with a bang, announcing former Brisbane chairman Dennis Watt as the NRL club’s new executive chairman.

The Gold Coast businesswoman announced Watt’s posting at the same press conference that she, Darryl Kelly and their partners Joanne Kelly and Brett Frizelle were officially named as the club’s new owners.

Gold Coast 'blindsided' by reports of Jarryd Hayne exit request

Watt stepped away from the Broncos in October after fours years in the hot seat and 14 on the club’s board. He will take over from Frizelle, who stood down during the ownership changeover process and joined Kelly’s bid team.

AdvertisementHide

The Frizelle-Kelly team put a five-year plan to the NRL, with Kelly estimating the Titans to be a profitable and successful outfit within three years.

Frizelle said Watt, who helped establish the Broncos as one of the country’s leading commercial sporting brands, would be a coup for the club.

“[It’s] one of the most significant recruitment victories in the history of this club,” she said. “We know that Dennis was in understandably high demand after deciding to leave the Broncos, so for him to join the Titans is a tremendous show of faith in the plans that we have for this club to reach its true potential.”

The Frizelle-Kelly partnership was officially handed the keys to the club by NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg on Friday, ending a draw-out sale process that officially began in late August.

The pair were in a two-way battle with Stuart McAuliffe to buy the NRL-owned club after the league took over the troubled franchise in 2014 amid financial difficulties. Kelly lost $5m after the club’s collapse three years ago, but wanted to remain involved and, along with Frizelle, has worked overtime to keep the ship afloat.

Several prospective owners, including the North Sydney Bears and Brisbane Bombers’ NRL bid team, also expressed an interest in taking over the club.

Greenberg said the consortium was the right one to ensure long-term stability for the code on the Gold Coast. “We said all the way through this process that our primary aim was to ensure the Titans become a well-run, profitable and successful club for their fans and the local community,” Greenberg said.

Kelly said he would relish the return to his former post. “I’ve been involved in this game throughout my life at a regional and grassroots level, and while my time with the Titans has been challenging, I genuinely believe we can make a difference now that the ownership has been resolved,” he said.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
We saw how poorly a woman in power will run an NRL club. Now we get to see it unfold again, except it's not our club, so this time, we can point at them and laugh!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Frizelle is a smart operator... been at the Titans a while already as chairman (longer than Castle lasted).

Her husband owns James Frizelles Automotive Group with 6 locations. Plus they already sponsor the Titans since their inception.

Kelly used to own a sand and gravel business in Wagga, which got passed onto his son. Dude lost like $4 million trying to save the Titans previously.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We saw how poorly a woman in power will run an NRL club. Now we get to see it unfold again, except it's not our club, so this time, we can point at them and laugh!

So, did you read the article, or just spend that time instead trying to find a funny photo?

Rebecca Frizelle has actually stepped down from running the Club, and will be a PART owner.

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No noise about being the first joint female owner of an NRL club??

Surely there should be noise about that.
This is like people trying to create outrage that isn't there....

BTW, they have two female owners.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This is like people trying to create outrage that isn't there....

BTW, they have two female owners.
Well heaven forbid any woman would try and play the game......oh. Well at least there aren't refs are thre....jesus. Thank goodness they have never been CEO's....damn. Next someone will tell me they gave birth to the immortals.....Guess we are just going to have to accept the fact that women are part of the game. Oh well at least I can go to the canteen and get a beer at the ground without some pesky woman annoying me. :tearsofjoy:

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Maybe that has less to do with the fact she has a vagina and more to do that the fact she was Raelene

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
So, did you read the article, or just spend that time instead trying to find a funny photo?

Rebecca Frizelle has actually stepped down from running the Club, and will be a PART owner.
Executive oversight my friend, executive oversight :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.