New laptop

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Damn - thought smashing my kid in the head with my laptop would be good for it. Was wrong. Think its going to die shortly. Have had a Toshiba Kira Ultrabook for years (think 1st or 2nd gen I7) and swear its been bulletproof. Fck, the alum case has corroded and is falling apart and was still running fab until dckhead forced me to go to desperate measures (no u little shit, you're not having my PHub premium login). Was going to go Toshiba again but apparently they're out of the laptop game. Cnts - they made good shit.

Thoughts? Mainly a daily driver. No gaming or photoshop but occasionally watch shit on it. Gone past what I knew back in the day (fck windows 3.1 was good).

Any suggestions? Budget maybe $3k ish....

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Afraid I can’t help with anything Windoze.
I left that nightmare behind with Vista circa 2007.
Still wake up with an occasional cold sweat :-).
I went Mac and have never gone back.
I would but Bill got me with the CVD vax. Cannot even ask the missus for head Jobs without breaking into a cold sweat.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I would but Bill got me with the CVD vax. Cannot even ask the missus for head Jobs without breaking into a cold sweat.
You must’ve had a more concentrated dose.
My 5G signal definitely improved post vax but I’m still on MacOS and iOS so ‘Evil Bill’ failed in his mission. Don’t tell @Rodzilla though :-).

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn - thought smashing my kid in the head with my laptop would be good for it. Was wrong. Think its going to die shortly. Have had a Toshiba Kira Ultrabook for years (think 1st or 2nd gen I7) and swear its been bulletproof. Fck, the alum case has corroded and is falling apart and was still running fab until dckhead forced me to go to desperate measures (no u little shit, you're not having my PHub premium login). Was going to go Toshiba again but apparently they're out of the laptop game. Cnts - they made good shit.

Thoughts? Mainly a daily driver. No gaming or photoshop but occasionally watch shit on it. Gone past what I knew back in the day (fck windows 3.1 was good).

$3,000? i'd want a built in fleshlight for that sort of money.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
$3,000? i'd want a built in fleshlight for that sort of money.
Look, just need a great screen, great audio and be sperm resistant. The third one is where the $$$'s are spent.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Afraid I can’t help with anything Windoze.
I left that nightmare behind with Vista circa 2007.
Still wake up with an occasional cold sweat :-).
I went Mac and have never gone back.
Same. Work is Mac so is my personal laptop. MacBook Pro hands down the best for me and my lifestyle anyway.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Same. Work is Mac so is my personal laptop. MacBook Pro hands down the best for me and my lifestyle anyway.
Not sure I could do it. Have a work iphone and it shites me up the wall compared to my personal. Plus I'd have to learn new shit (like incognito browsing). Work is windows (gave me one but ain't doin my rec stuff on that) and not sure I'm mentally stable enough to go the front door and the back door at the same time.

C'mon - surely a dogs forum isn't a Mac appreciation society :(

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dell XPS is an excellent unit. The new Macbooks are excellent but if you have no intention of using Mac OS, then you're better off with a Dell XPS. Great battery life, fast, light.

They can be pretty expensive but you can get the refurbished/2nds units directly from Dell for fairly cheap.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's the refurbished ones.

I would recommend going 16gb of ram. 8gb just isn't enough any more.

Everything else just comes down to screensize and whether you want a 2 in 1, or a traditional laptop.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$3K for a daily shitter?
$600-800 whatevers best bang for buck ram/processor at the time. Expectation 2 years.
I use to buy Toshibas too but last time I bought Acer. I didnt really want Acer but it was best value.
Ive had it 3 years now, been fine. Watch netflix, youtube on it, gets used in the garage if I need it etc.
I have dedicated PC's for other tasks so laptop is just a tool not worth spending big $$$.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Dell XPS is an excellent unit. The new Macbooks are excellent but if you have no intention of using Mac OS, then you're better off with a Dell XPS. Great battery life, fast, light.

They can be pretty expensive but you can get the refurbished/2nds units directly from Dell for fairly cheap.
Was looking at an XPS level solution but hate Dell. Years ago discovered the Dell business model was to take stock hardware from other suppliers and reroute connectors so for service you had to go back to Dell. For me its an ethics thing. Thanks for the feedback though.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
$3K for a daily shitter?
$600-800 whatevers best bang for buck ram/processor at the time. Expectation 2 years.
I use to buy Toshibas too but last time I bought Acer. I didnt really want Acer but it was best value.
Ive had it 3 years now, been fine. Watch netflix, youtube on it, gets used in the garage if I need it etc.
I have dedicated PC's for other tasks so laptop is just a tool not worth spending big $$$.
$800 for 2 years vs $3k for 5 years? With tax deductions its fairly close. Plus with the $3k I get no hardware lag and if I get an itch to run some work datasets without having to cloud it - can do so. Acer is ok - bought the kid an Acer and its a bit brickish but does a job. Sort of agree though it can be a wankfest.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was looking at an XPS level solution but hate Dell. Years ago discovered the Dell business model was to take stock hardware from other suppliers and reroute connectors so for service you had to go back to Dell. For me its an ethics thing. Thanks for the feedback though.
Yeah, I remember those days. I remember testing 10 new Dell laptops, all the same model and specs, and each one had a slightly different hard drive size. Showing that they're all refurbed.

Their quality has increased fortunately.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

You don't need $3000 for a daily computer you're just going to use for watching movies on - even if you're streaming them. If you're just going to use it for the basics, you only need the basics. No gaming of special programs - just rock up to JB HI FI and get whatever they got on sale, or go to a small Asian computer shop and they can give you one for <$1000.

Don't waste your money on a high-end computer for the very basic things - and yes, watching videos online is a very basic thing.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
You don't need $3000 for a daily computer you're just going to use for watching movies on - even if you're streaming them. If you're just going to use it for the basics, you only need the basics. No gaming of special programs - just rock up to JB HI FI and get whatever they got on sale, or go to a small Asian computer shop and they can give you one for <$1000.

Don't waste your money on a high-end computer for the very basic things - and yes, watching videos online is a very basic thing.
If I didn't need to occasionally do pointy head work, yep fair enough. Every so often have to run millions of lines of data for work - the work option is to use a cloud service but by the time I get approvals etc., takes too long. Can do that on my home laptop, its better than my works Lenovo (mainly due to specs after 5 years and no overheads with all the garbage work apps). Is slower than the cloud but I can at least keep it running overnight and get where I need to be.

Agree if it was just personal but with this requirement, need a decent cpu/ram and SSD. Gunna spend the $'s on that anyway so may as well add in the extra bells and whistles.

Thanks for the feedback.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If I didn't need to occasionally do pointy head work, yep fair enough. Every so often have to run millions of lines of data for work - the work option is to use a cloud service but by the time I get approvals etc., takes too long. Can do that on my home laptop, its better than my works Lenovo (mainly due to specs after 5 years and no overheads with all the garbage work apps). Is slower than the cloud but I can at least keep it running overnight and get where I need to be.

Agree if it was just personal but with this requirement, need a decent cpu/ram and SSD. Gunna spend the $'s on that anyway so may as well add in the extra bells and whistles.

Thanks for the feedback.
Buy a PS5 instead