Official New Broadcast Deal

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 2022: ARLC, NRL, Nine Entertainment, Fox Sports, Sky NZ, Andrew Abdo, Explainer, what $2b broadcast deal means for game - NRL

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo has declared that the new broadcast deal with Nine Entertainment is “a partnership - not just a transaction”.

However, the five-year agreement is also a record television and media rights deal for the game, with Nine, Fox Sports and Sky NZ paying more than $2 billion to broadcast the Telstra Premiership, Telstra NRLW Premiership and Ampol State of Origin until 2027.

Their investment is a show of confidence in the way the game has been managed during the COVID-19 pandemic, which has threatened to bring the biggest sporting organisations to their knees at a time when the value of broadcast rights were already under pressure.

Negotiations by Abdo and ARLC chairman Peter V’landys with their Nine counterparts, Mike Sneesby and Peter Costello, were tough and long winded but resulted in the continuation of a 30-year relationship between the broadcaster and the game.
________

Looks like a pretty good deal considering the circumstances and current environment. We'll still have to mute during SOO and the GF, but overall, some good news for the game.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I wonder if Kayo will need to pay - or if streaming services that may come on board during the next 5 years will have any chance of picking up NRL games to stream.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

The last deal was $1.8b a year, the new deal is $2b a year that's an 11.1% increase, as a result I would expect the players, as per their EBA, to ask for an 11.1% increase in the Salary Cap for 2023. Which means we have $1m more to spend, let's get it done Gould.

Always a Bulldog
Except of course there is now another team sharing in the cash. Also, every other team will be on the same salary cap (if it's increased).

I don't think the article contemplates an 18th team?. Is this the NRL saying there won't be an 18th for another 5 years?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is also why i think the 18th NRL team will likely come from NZ - TV rights are probably worth more with 2 NZ teams than adding a WA one.
You have summed it up beautifully,the game inNZ is growing,and a local derby would create extra revenue,and there’s also a growing trend of rugby players going to league where in the past u would never hear of it,but the 2 billion deal is remarkable when u consider the circumstances and difficulties the we have had to endure over the past 2 years,well done to everyone involved.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Except of course there is now another team sharing in the cash. Also, every other team will be on the same salary cap (if it's increased).

I don't think the article contemplates an 18th team?. Is this the NRL saying there won't be an 18th for another 5 years?
Doesn’t matter, the RLPA and the NRL have an EBA that says the players share in any revenue increases. A increase in the revenue means an increase in the Cap and since the players have taken pay cuts due to Covid, the RLPA has an even stronger case. Particularly since it is evident that the NRL suffered little if any revenue decrease and actually made a near record profit in 2020 and 2021. There may even be back pay coming.

Always a Bulldog

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter, the RLPA and the NRL have an EBA that says the players share in any revenue increases. A increase in the revenue means an increase in the Cap and since the players have taken pay cuts due to Covid, the RLPA has an even stronger case. Particularly since it is evident that the NRL suffered little if any revenue decrease and actually made a near record profit in 2020 and 2021. There may even be back pay coming.

Always a Bulldog
If the cap increases an extra million, what would be the total cap per team? I'm not sure what it currently is

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Currently around 9.5
There currently is in place a Covid related reduction in the Cap of 6% for 2021 and 2022, hence it is in effect $9.3m for 2021, including the Senior & Developed Player allowance. I expect the 6% reduction to not be required for 2022 based on the NRL's financial results. On the same basis the 2021 reduction can not be justified either, hence the RLPA has a case for demanding back pay. Round numbers, the Cap should be $10m for 2022 and $11m for 2022 if the NRL Cap follows the EBA on the NRL Revenue increase.

Always a Bulldog

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There currently is in place a Covid related reduction in the Cap of 6% for 2021 and 2022, hence it is in effect $9.3m for 2021, including the Senior & Developed Player allowance. I expect the 6% reduction to not be required for 2022 based on the NRL's financial results. On the same basis the 2021 reduction can not be justified either, hence the RLPA has a case for demanding back pay. Round numbers, the Cap should be $10m for 2022 and $11m for 2022 if the NRL Cap follows the EBA on the NRL Revenue increase.

Always a Bulldog
I genuinely do not understand the hate you get sometimes, mate.

Always appreciate the insight you give.

Ta

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Wouldn't the club grant / salary cap increase be brought back a little bit by the 17th team, as this increase the number of teams/players sharing the (increased) pie by about 6%. But then again as you said, the players may have an argument for a stronger pay rise due to the cuts and constraints of the past 2 seasons, so i guess it might even out somewhere. Still good for the game/players overall.

(I will admit i'm an accountant so of course maths isn't my strong suit) :grinning:

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
If the 6% reduction is deemed not applicable for 2022, will we then have 6% more cap space available or will that go to an increase in current player wages? Is the club basing the cap for 2022 with the 6% included?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If the 6% reduction is deemed not applicable for 2022, will we then have 6% more cap space available or will that go to an increase in current player wages? Is the club basing the cap for 2022 with the 6% included?
My guess is existing contracts will go back to their original value. ie; what they were before the 6% reduction.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't the club grant / salary cap increase be brought back a little bit by the 17th team, as this increase the number of teams/players sharing the (increased) pie by about 6%. But then again as you said, the players may have an argument for a stronger pay rise due to the cuts and constraints of the past 2 seasons, so i guess it might even out somewhere. Still good for the game/players overall.

(I will admit i'm an accountant so of course maths isn't my strong suit) :grinning:
Not according to the EBA, NRL revenue goes up, and broadcast rights are specifically mentioned, then player salaries go up, which means the Cap goes up. Based on previous negotiations the RLPA will demand the same % increase, it will be difficult for the NRL to resist as the players gave up 6% for 2 years (ie; a 12% pay cut) which ended up not being necessary. So the RLPA has a few bargaining chips to play with.

Always a Bulldog

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Player managers and high profile players are the only real winners. Player price tags will go up accordingly negating any possible benefits for clubs. Although it may make the NRL a slightly more attractive option than the Super league I guess