Rumour New Brisbane Team Put Off Till 2024

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe it's been officially announced and I missed it, but I heard last night that due to Covid the new Brisbane team's introduction to the NRL has been put off till 2024. Which may be the reason why Bellamy has been holding off on announcing that he is staying at Melbourne for another year. If he is the one to take over the GM of Football at the new Brisbane team then it's logical that he can stay in Melbourne for another year. The word around is that he has signed a heads of agreement with the Redlciffe Dolphins to take over as GM of football if/when they get the licence.

Always a Bulldog

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big part of me doesn't want dolphins to get in. I played my junior footy for dolphins and live in the area. Absolutely madly love the dogs but at the risk of sounding like a traitor it would potentially challenge my loyalty. I hate myself for even thinking it though :( nah screw that... I'm sticking with my doggies..

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There was no chance a new team starting in 2023. Not enough FG players.

Last edited:

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The longer the decision takes the more likely it will be dolphins. The others will run out of money while dolphins are one of the richest sporting clubs going around (worth 100million +). They would actually become NRL richest club if they get approved

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
The longer the decision takes the more likely it will be dolphins. The others will run out of money while dolphins are one of the richest sporting clubs going around (worth 100million +). They would actually become NRL richest club if they get approved
Really?

Edit: there is a Courier Mail article about this but it’s behind a paywall. Interesting.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Great news for us, better fucking nail our recruitment for 2023 now

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Smith could just extend with the Storm for another year and head over. He's contracted to the Storm for 22 anyway.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Makes sense with the current uncertainties tbh.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A big part of me doesn't want dolphins to get in. I played my junior footy for dolphins and live in the area. Absolutely madly love the dogs but at the risk of sounding like a traitor it would potentially challenge my loyalty. I hate myself for even thinking it though :( nah screw that... I'm sticking with my doggies..
Nothing wrong with having a 2nd team / soft spot.

Any tips for parking when we play there in 2 weeks?

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Great, this will limit Brandon Smiths opportunities to land a hefty contract with another Brisbane team also he cant use them to leverage more $ from us so just sign on the dotted line with the Bulldogs Cheese

P.s Many of you are probably wondering why I have changed my stance in regards to the cheese coming to the Dogs, well his performances of late have been exceptional for the Storm and he has changed my mind about him being a first grade standard dummy half. He has made me a believer with his great performances! All he needed was consistent amount of games as a starting hooker and watching him get those games under his belt I truly agree that he is of first grade standard as a hooker now. Bulldogs1966 you were right mate and I was wrong and I stand corrected.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great, this will limit Brandon Smiths opportunities to land a hefty contract with another Brisbane team also he cant use them to leverage more $ from us so just sign on the dotted line with the Bulldogs Cheese

P.s Many of you are probably wondering why I have changed my stance in regards to the cheese coming to the Dogs, well his performances of late have been exceptional for the Storm and he has changed my mind about him being a first grade standard dummy half. He has made me a believer with his great performances! All he needed was consistent amount of games as a starting hooker and watching him get those games under his belt I truly agree that he is of first grade standard as a hooker now. Bulldogs1966 you were right mate and I was wrong and I stand corrected.
all good champ, i've been wrong about many things myself lol.Welcome aboard the cheese train, let's hope we get him bud! think he would be outstanding for us

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They will definitely be my 2nd team it will good to have a team that you follow and go watch every weekend.
I cant wait!

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably for the best, Bringing in 1 new team only,does nothing to increase revenue from the broadcasting deal as there will still only 8 games per week. And they are just putting the new team in Rugby league heartland rather actually trying to forge new ground in a different state and growing the game nationally and truly being a "National" rugby league,rather than in name only. If you had to pick 30 players for the new team from the uncontracted players currently, The new team would just be competing in the wooden spoon cup with us and the Broncos

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably for the best, Bringing in 1 new team only,does nothing to increase revenue from the broadcasting deal as there will still only 8 games per week. And they are just putting the new team in Rugby league heartland rather actually trying to forge new ground in a different state and growing the game nationally and truly being a "National" rugby league,rather than in name only. If you had to pick 30 players for the new team from the uncontracted players currently, The new team would just be competing in the wooden spoon cup with us and the Broncos
Of course a new team in Brisbane brings in additional broadcasting revenue, they will get prime time twice a week with 2 teams instead of only once a week with the Donkeys.

Always a Bulldog

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of course a new team in Brisbane brings in additional broadcasting revenue, they will get prime time twice a week with 2 teams instead of only once a week with the Donkeys.

Always a Bulldog
Would it be extra revenue though? The reason the AFL always beats the NRL in terms of the broadcasting agreements is the fact it is actually a nationally played and supported game,rather than just popular of the Eastern seaboard. And wouldn't it basically be the same people watching the second team on TV, just supporting a different team. It doesn't actually expand the games territory or viewing audience

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Would it be extra revenue though? The reason the AFL always beats the NRL in terms of the broadcasting agreements is the fact it is actually a nationally played and supported game,rather than just popular of the Eastern seaboard. And wouldn't it basically be the same people watching the second team on TV, just supporting a different team. It doesn't actually expand the games territory or viewing audience
NSW & Qld have more than half of the population of Australia, then add in NZ which has a higher population than WA, SA, Tas and NT COMBINED. Logically the best gains for the NRL is Brisbane, where a lot of people (and sponsors/advertisers) would welcome someone other than the Broncos to support, and then South Island NZ. Even if the total viewers is the same (highly unlikely) there will be 2 games in prime time featuring Brisbane teams every week, so that's increased viewer stats. If the Redcliffe Dolphins get the licence they already have a full set of gear advertisers with 2 majors in waiting, that's revenue in waiting for the broadcasters.

FWIW the radio and TV broadcasters (in Oz and NZ) were asked whereabouts they wanted new teams and the overwhelming answer was a second team in SE Qld and then NZ.

Always a Bulldog

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NSW & Qld have more than half of the population of Australia, then add in NZ which has a higher population than WA, SA, Tas and NT COMBINED. Logically the best gains for the NRL is Brisbane, where a lot of people (and sponsors/advertisers) would welcome someone other than the Broncos to support, and then South Island NZ. Even if the total viewers is the same (highly unlikely) there will be 2 games in prime time featuring Brisbane teams every week, so that's increased viewer stats. If the Redcliffe Dolphins get the licence they already have a full set of gear advertisers with 2 majors in waiting, that's revenue in waiting for the broadcasters.

FWIW the radio and TV broadcasters (in Oz and NZ) were asked whereabouts they wanted new teams and the overwhelming answer was a second team in SE Qld and then NZ.

Always a Bulldog
Nice analysis

I think it is a given that those two are given a priority.

With COVID coming into play - WA is getting its taste of professional football again with the Western Force back into the fold. Whilst there may be an appetite for league out that way, evidenced by a couple of anecdotal games played over there in the past few years (we took a game to the Optus stadium, Origin II from 2019, South took a game a year there for a few years) - I do not believe it is enough for financial viability.

Perth Glory (different sport, obviously) only have around the 7k in members mark. So that tells me there is a taste, just not enough to warrant .

The one thing that I think that the broadcasters would love about Perth though is the flexibility of time slots. They are, for the most part, 2 hours behind during the NRL season. So they could put 6 pm Sunday games for the West coast, and it will be 4 pm Perth Time and 8 pm NZ time. But a 2nd NZ team would do something similar anyway. A second NZ team could potentially get the 6 pm Friday slot - when it is actually 8 pm in NZ. So in effect, get the best of both worlds... decent attendance to the game, but also a decent viewership given the time.