Opinion New Attacking Structures

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potter and Hartigan are looking after our attack somewhat.

I think what's happened is Round 1 they realised structured play was hurting the players, so they stripped it right back, gave players freedom to roam, and just told them to play eyes up footy.

That kinda also makes sense with what Ciraldo said in the presser after the Tigers game, about us being very hard to defend against.
Several of the players have said that this is the style that they have been training with the whole preseason.

I think they were underdone in the first round, and it was a false start. Also I do not believe CC would throw out the whole preseason preparation. He has said they will play to their strengths and that is what the current structure is doing.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several of the players have said that this is the style that they have been training with the whole preseason.

I think they were underdone in the first round, and it was a false start. Also I do not believe CC would throw out the whole preseason preparation. He has said they will play to their strengths and that is what the current structure is doing.
That's where I think Pay and Barrett went all wrong.

Failed to identify what specific players do best, how to get the best out of them, and how to best get them to perform on field.

Then as the losses piled up the culture at the club slipped and morale dropped. We got to the point we were used to losing games.

So the turnaround in such a short space of time (literally one off season), has been impressive to say the least.

As the wins increase, confidence increases with it, and players gain more valuable experience.

As a young side it's exciting to see what the future holds :grinning: Finally we are starting to show positive signs after seasons of promise.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What Ciraldo is doing with Kikau and Mahoney just shows he's on a different level to the idiots that have come before.

Mahoney is basically our Halfback disguised as a Hooker. He's so nifty and skilful that he becomes part of a backline. He's the key to our attack.

What Ciraldo is doing with Kikau is also exciting. Bringing him in one in on occasion allows his ball skills to come into play while unlocking Burton to show his running skills and turn him into a hybrid centre.

Just adds that little variation we never had before.
What? Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story?
Kikks and Reed came THIS YEAR along with Ciraldo to the club.
What could Des or Deano or Barrett achieve with Kikks or Reed? We will never know....but you want to call these coaches idiots? So they were idiots for not having Kikks or Reed?

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we also need to remember that Preston would not have been training with the right edge in the Pre-season. I think he was filling in for Kiks. Getting combinations working will take some time.

While we seem to have more bodies in motion than we have previous years we still seem to make breaks and have no support. JAC and Alamoti seemed to be working well, but that may be more JAC has the speed to get into position after the break.
Thank God for Alamonti, He seems to be working so well with JAC, if we still had Shoupe in that position competing with the Fox we would have blown two Trys and lost the game last week, It's great to see all the boys working as a team, nice work by CC & Gus

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What? Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story?
Kikks and Reed came THIS YEAR along with Ciraldo to the club.
What could Des or Deano or Barrett achieve with Kikks or Reed? We will never know....but you want to call these coaches idiots? So they were idiots for not having Kikks or Reed?
Chill...

Forget the players. Let's just focus on the small tactical changes like variations in attack then. I mentioned Kikau and Mahoney, but there's been clear changes to existing players like Averillo and even Waddell FFS.

We've still had great players in recent years, but they've been used so one out that every other team saw our attack as a joke and the easiest team to defend.

Make of that as you will.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's also Jake dropping the ball over the line, the ref calling Jake back after the Bateman knock on...we could've gone 40+ easily.
Yeah i thought it was a wierd one too. I dont understand why that knock on by Batemen was called back for a 20m tap when Averilo was on his way?! Is there a rule that it must be a 20m ptb and cant be play on??

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For the first time in a long time I'm not worried about the coaching situation at the club, still don't agree with some things like the Crichton signing but thinks look like they're happening and the players are buying in. Plenty on here wanted to throw half the team out after round 1 :tearsofjoy:
Id go as far as the majority mate.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Potter and Hartigan are looking after our attack somewhat.

I think what's happened is Round 1 they realised structured play was hurting the players, so they stripped it right back, gave players freedom to roam, and just told them to play eyes up footy.

That kinda also makes sense with what Ciraldo said in the presser after the Tigers game, about us being very hard to defend against.
Im not sure if we played differently in round 1, i think we just didnt hold the ball and defended poorly. Things just didnt click. I doubt Ciraldo completely changes up his game plan that we have been training for after a round 1 loss.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This. Absolutely.
Same on the left. Power from Alamoti, blistering speed from Fox.

There were a few commenting on "how slow" Alamoti was off the breaks on the weekend, but:
1. It was nearly 40 degrees - the big bods are going to suffer more (Lead feet :-)); and
2. He's not there primarily for his speed. He's there for his power and presence - and doesn't he have some.

He was good in defence, good in the air, and good under pressure.
He had Fox for speed when he needed it, and used him to perfection - twice.
Not bad for a 3rd up performance.

Between Alamoti & Kikau on that edge, there should be plenty of opportunities for Fox & Perham to hit gaps (Burton too for that matter).

Back on the right edge. Preston, Averillo & Kiraz look like they'll be doing something similar.

We potentially have a lethal left, but I am just as keen to see what our right side can become, particularly if oppositions become obsessed with our left.
We look very good on both sides of the ruck now, and edge players having lisence to roam and mix things up makes for entertaining football.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Most nrl teams seem to favour one side to attack.Well said guys, that we are developing both edges of opportunity. There is also improvement in the middle to penetrate with Reed Mahoney pulling the strings.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
what the fuck is this lol
It's fact. Playing with freedom, higher risk offloads and moving the ball constantly is what Potter introduced to the Dogs last year. Ciraldo has implemented this again and no surprise Mick Potter is our attacking coach.

I like Cam but Potter is the one who should take main responsibility for this.

Reminds me of the short passing between the forwards Dymock introduced in 2011; Hasler continued this in 2012 and got all the credit when everyone knew that was all Jimmy Dymock.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Im not sure if we played differently in round 1, i think we just didnt hold the ball and defended poorly. Things just didnt click. I doubt Ciraldo completely changes up his game plan that we have been training for after a round 1 loss.
I've re-watched the manly game a couple of times now, and I just think losing becomes a habit and we fell into old habits round one. I highly doubt that they where coached to play that style of football. I also think that it took Reed a game to realize he couldn't rely on flange to control any aspect of the game and he would have to take full control of the side. Things clicked against Melbourne because Reed took complete control of the side, and they all bought into that. Reed is the only player in our spine that can execute a coaches game plan.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For the first time in a long time I'm not worried about the coaching situation at the club, still don't agree with some things like the Crichton signing but thinks look like they're happening and the players are buying in. Plenty on here wanted to throw half the team out after round 1 :tearsofjoy:
But that's the kennel way.....our fans are that passionate that we tend to over react :grinning: Besides that first game was a real let down....losing to Manly made it feel even worse.

Last edited:

transom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I did notice that a bit. Probably could blame flanno. He does not straighten the attack like he should, but there has been times where Preston makes half breaks and the support isn't there.

We had 3 half chances on Sunday that could have easily resulted in tries on the right edge - they'll get better, just need to stick with this combo. Really like what Averillo is doing in the centres.
Flanagan could have scored himself and Preston

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've re-watched the manly game a couple of times now, and I just think losing becomes a habit and we fell into old habits round one. I highly doubt that they where coached to play that style of football. I also think that it took Reed a game to realize he couldn't rely on flange to control any aspect of the game and he would have to take full control of the side. Things clicked against Melbourne because Reed took complete control of the side, and they all bought into that. Reed is the only player in our spine that can execute a coaches game plan.
Reed has been such a difference taken pressure from the others Burton and Flanno and Perham all playing Ad lib… but it’s working because our strike outside them is pretty good.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree
After round 1 I was ready to drive kiraz back to the knight lol

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
So after the last 2 games something has become pretty clear to me, the Dogs coaching staff appear to have thrown out the old definitions of players on the edges. Yes it is not new that sometimes a winger and a centre may swap and you may also find an edge backrower on the wing, but it seems more planned than that. Not only have we seen Avo and Kiraz swapping positions we have also seen Kiks playing 5/8 and Burton outside him. Got to also mention that JAC seems to pop up anywhere including in the middle.

Have seen lots of people talking about Burton and his running game and how to get him running more. CC also spoke about how to get the players to utilise their skills and talents better. I think this is all part of the grand plan from CC. We have also spoken about how Kiraz would be a great centre but is playing on the Wing because of his kick returns and because we don't have anyone good enough to play wing. What if just getting Avo and Kiraz to swap regularly will give the opposing edge defence something different to look at, and having to defend differently as one player uses strength and the other speed.

the other thing is that Reed appears to be more than an occasional kicker, but that kicking duties will be split between him and Burton and Flanno only as a backup.

What do we think? Or is this just my imagination?
CC definitely knows how to utilise thd strengths of certain players and limit usage of their weaknesses. This is something Barrett could not seem to do.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
CC definitely knows how to utilise thd strengths of certain players and limit usage of their weaknesses. This is something Barrett could not seem to do.
Ciraldo has nailed it so far. Key focus on defence, fitness, communication, etc...all things that aren't reliant on talent but go a long way to winning football games.