New Apple Iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

APPLE is hoping to bring its mystique to the mobile phone market with the confirmation that it will start selling a touchscreen-based mobile communication device under the iPhone moniker.

Details of the device, which combines a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod and a desktop-class internet browser, all accessible through touchscreen controls, were announced by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs today at Macworld in San Francisco.

The iPhone is scheduled to go on sale in the US in June 2007 and Europe later this year but is not scheduled to hit Australian shores until next year.

"The iPhone is like living your life in your pocket," Jobs said.

"iPhone is a revolutionary and magical product that is literally five years ahead of any other mobile phone."

Sporting a 3.5-inch LCD screen with 160 pixels per inch resolution, the device ditches many of the familiar controls of existing mobile phones, PDAs and music players in favour of a totally touchscreen-based interface, dubbed Multi-Touch, built around the OS X operating system.

"We will get rid of all the buttons and create a giant screen," Mr Jobs said.

"We are all born with the ultimate pointing device - our fingers - and iPhone uses them to create the most revolutionary user interface since the mouse."

The design also incorporates a 2 megapixel camera and three sensors to automatically detect the device's orientation, ambient light and proximity to the user's face.

The Multi-Touch interface means users can make calls simply by pointing at a name or number. A screen-based QWERTY keyboard can also be used to input new numbers or to compose SMS messages or emails, while the software also includes predictive features to prevent and correct mistakes.

All applications can be synched with data in phonebooks or calendars already existing on the user's PC or Mac.

The phone uses the quad-band GSM standard and also features Wi-Fi and EDGE technology for data networking.

In the US, the device will be offered through a partnership with the local mobile carrier Cingular. No announcement has yet been made on which Australian carrier is likely to partner with Apple when the iPhone ships next year in Australia.

In iPod mode, the screen can shift between portrait and widescreen modes and allows users to browse through playlists of album covers with a flick of their fingers.

Movies and TV shows can also be viewed in widescreen with touch controls for play-pause, chapter forwarding and volume, while photo images can be resized on-screen by a pinch of the fingers across the LCD.

As an internet device, the iPhone will offer desktop quality push email in full rich HTML. A Safari web browser will provide what Apple claims is the first fully useable HTML browser on a phone, capable of displaying full web pages and able to zoom in on page items of interest.

The device will also offer a Google Maps application, allowing users to view maps, satellite images, traffic information and directions.

The device will offer a five-hour battery life for phone and internet applications and 16 hours of audio play.

The company also announced that it will ship Apple TV, a media server allowing the user to wirelessly beam content from an iPod or through iTunes onto a big screen TV, in Australia next month.

With a 40GB hard drive, capable of storing 50 hours of video, the Apple TV will sell in the US for $449.

There were no announcements, however, on its Macintosh computers line. Indeed, the company's embrace of technologies beyond core computing was reflected in the announcement that it had changed its name from today from Apple Computer to Apple Inc.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Man that looks AWESOME! I think i might get me one of those. Perfect timing too I think, if it comes out next year.

I hope it won't be too much more than 1000 bux. But my ipod is in need of renewal and my phone will be too, so bring it on! Can't wait!!!!

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How crap is the battery 16hrs of playback music. SE battery last 30hrs of playback music. The iPhone uses the OSX core, not OSX, it's misleading from Apple to say it uses the full OSX system.
It's like saying that Windows Mobile is same as WinXP.
What in iPhones specs makes it sooooooooooooo good?
The 2mp camera?
The lack of flash?
The lack of led?
The 5h talk time?
The 16h "music only" time?
The lack of 3G?
The video recording?
The phone capabilities?

The iPhone lacks a lot of things many take for granted in phones today.

By the time this ships out it next year it will be ancient to what's gonna be available on the market.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
its an ipod video/phone/directory/web browser/email client. can your sony erricson do those things?

i think it looks amazing too, its tiny and really neat.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sony Ericsson P990 of last year can do all the things listed & video call. By the time this is out Sony Ericsson P990 will be 2yrs old.

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
that looks like a bitch to use!

M

MikeyP..

hmmmmm.......wouldnt it be funny if u broke the screenn and u couldnt accept any calls at all lol...

but smudges on the screen mayyyuuunnn.....that would be annoying

M

MikeyP..

but it would be a hastle tryna not to brake that fragile thing

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sony Ericsson P990 of last year can do all the things listed & video call. By the time this is out Sony Ericsson P990 will be 2yrs old.

P990 isn't an Australian Model yet

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hmmm, weird, i work for Telstra and we can't buy it.
Telstra, Brightpoint, Cellnet and Roadhound dont have it

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
The P990 is so ugly compared to the Apple iPhone! You have to admit that, that tiny keyboard, omg, i bet some people with fat fingers wouldn't even be able to use it.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
cljunior said:
The P990 is so ugly compared to the Apple iPhone! You have to admit that,
I agree looks aint groundbreaking but that was just the answer to these questions. As in can it do all these things not what looks better.

cljunior said:
omg, i bet some people with fat fingers wouldn't even be able to use it.
No need to worry just use the stylus for handwriting recognition on the touch screen. ;) Or flip the keypad & use it like a normal phone keypad simple.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Do you factor in looks when looking for a new phone? I know i do :D

what's the memory capacity for the 990?

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
cljunior said:
Do you factor in looks when looking for a new phone? I know i do :D

what's the memory capacity for the 990?
Yes i do factor in looks. But i was mearly stating that what iphone has to offer is not groundbreaking in tech wise. About the memory it comes with

Memory Stick Duo Pro, 64 MB card included,
- 128 MB Flash, 64 MB RAM
- 60 MB user memory
- Expandable up to 8gb

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
f me dead, how much does a 8gb stick cost????????????????????????????????

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
^^^ I don't know probably around $400 as the 4gb is around $180-$200

Status
Not open for further replies.