New air conditioner thread

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t trust the bastard.. I know about wetting but brother one fibre can cause an agonising death..
True back in the day ive sanded and grinded the shit right up been head to toe in the shit .half the countries houses were full of it at one stage

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
True back in the day ive sanded and grinded the shit right up been head to toe in the shit .half the countries houses were full of it at one stage
Bloody criminal..they knew back in 1930s it was dangerous but continued to use it.. Steve Macqueen died from it..he used to clear it from the pipes in navy ships..

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hi All,

After a few cool weeks, we have had a couple of scorchers here, so on Thursday, I finally decided to fire up my old Panasonic air conditioner for the first time this summer. It blew air, but not cold.

Thinking it was due for a service anyway, I luckily got a guy to come yesterday, who discovered I have no gas, now being an old unit, its basically not worth repairing (it's the "old" gas that is pretty much no longer around). Its 15 years old, so it had an ok life.

So he has given me a quote for a new unit and can even install it at the end oft he week, which is pretty lucky. He has given me the option of 4 models, all fairly close in price (all single unit split systems):

Kelvinator 7.1kw
LG 7kw
Panasonic 6kw
Fujitsu 6kw.

They are all fairly basic models (one day when I buld a new house I'll be ging for the smart ones I can turn on using my smartphone etc)..... Just wondering if anyone has these brands and what they think of them. I guess I want it to be fairly energy efficient, and quiet (both inside and out).

Any recommendations???
I recommend Fujitsu. Why? It's Australia's favorite air!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm going with the Fujitsu. :grinning:

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This was me today, how did you survive todays heat with out the aircon CD?

upload_2018-12-2_19-6-3.png

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Southy..not be an alarmist..but have you had your lungs looked at?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Southy..not be an alarmist..but have you had your lungs looked at?
The asbestos particle needs to be of a specific size to get stuck in the aveoli of your lungs to cause the asbestosis. Not all asbestos particles you inhale will cause the problem.

In India most roofs in the low socio economical areas are made of asbestos and not one reported incident of asbestosis is found.

It is only when you start drilling and making holes which creates dust causes the issue

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This was me today, how did you survive todays heat with out the aircon CD?

View attachment 8377
It was a struggle as the warms were actually warm to touch by mud afternoon.

I have had a portable air con going in the bedroom all day and so spent as much time in there as possible, including a solid afternoon nap.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The asbestos particle needs to be of a specific size to get stuck in the aveoli of your lungs to cause the asbestosis. Not all asbestos particles you inhale will cause the problem.

In India most roofs in the low socio economical areas are made of asbestos and not one reported incident of asbestosis is found.

It is only when you start drilling and making holes which creates dust causes the issue
Yep I know ID..my very good mate died from mesothelioma..a horrible painful death..after experiencing that..I wouldn’t take a chance with it..either in its ‘safe’ stable condition or its broken form.. And I ain’t gunna get a ruler and measure those fibres..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm doing that at the moment, but I also have a house with no insulation. This week I'm getting that reflective paint stuff put on my roof, which is supposed to cool the house a fair bit.

My 88 yo next door neighbour survives without air con. So do I normally, but today is a shocker.
Insulation makes a HUGE difference.

Our old place had LG ducted AC but zero insulation. AC struggled to keep the place cool.
New place has in wall and roof insulation, and often we don't even need the AC on it stays that cool. It has ducted Daikin AC.

We are with AGL and getting bent over and rogered for our bills... about to switch to Red Energy as they at least bill based on usage (after 20kwH you get a really low rate).

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Insulation makes a HUGE difference.

Our old place had LG ducted AC but zero insulation. AC struggled to keep the place cool.
New place has in wall and roof insulation, and often we don't even need the AC on it stays that cool. It has ducted Daikin AC.

We are with AGL and getting bent over and rogered for our bills... about to switch to Red Energy as they at least bill based on usage (after 20kwH you get a really low rate).
I remember back in 1999 when I was in high school, all the computer labs were the first rooms in the entire school to be fitting with air conditioners for obvious reasons - but they were those crappy box wall-mounted ones though. 1 year later, we moved into our new house and it had ducted a/c throughout - every bedroom upstairs has one vent, plus the living room, lounge room and dining room also have one. The good thing is that the bedrooms upstairs, on top of insulation, cool almost immediately in summer when the doors are closed as the cool air stays in the room (it even means after a while I'll end up covering with the doona), and downstairs in the other rooms, we have an open-plan living area which is generally cooler, and we have concrete slab between floors keeping it even more cooler. The a/c vents are just there in case there is a 40+ degree day and we struggle. Yesterday was very hot, yet downstairs you wouldn't have thought that.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes .
Re asbestos cut it yourself keep it wet it will be all good
@south of heaven , yep. It works. I now am starting to feel like I wasted money on buying a new air conditioner as I haven't used it since I got the roof done. It was in the 30s here in Brisbane today, and when I got home, the house was fine.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
@south of heaven , yep. It works. I now am starting to feel like I wasted money on buying a new air conditioner as I haven't used it since I got the roof done. It was in the 30s here in Brisbane today, and when I got home, the house was fine.
Man that's pretty impressive

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You'll be changing your opinion once we hit a heatwave.. And all those sticky no air afternoons in the later months of summer early autumn.

I just installed new air-con in part of my house near the kitchen (about 3 weeks ago) , have only used it a couple of times since but can see it's going to be a God send when it starts heating up..

Bought this unknown brand on catch.com 2 years warranty 5.1kw inverter split system works beautifully for $595. Installation was a bit pricey at $750 but worth every cent.

Just had another look and price gone up to $699 , think I got a discount because I bought on black Friday

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You'll be changing your opinion once we hit a heatwave.. And all those sticky no air afternoons in the later months of summer early autumn.

I just installed new air-con in part of my house near the kitchen (about 3 weeks ago) , have only used it a couple of times since but can see it's going to be a God send when it starts heating up..

Bought this unknown brand on catch.com 2 years warranty 5.1kw inverter split system works beautifully for $595. Installation was a bit pricey at $750 but worth every cent.

Just had another look and price gone up to $699 , think I got a discount because I bought on black Friday
Funny you say that. Today is my last day at home preparing for our road trip. It was 28 degrees and humid at 6am, and we are climbing onto about 38 or so.

As I'm running around lugging suitcases etc, I decided to get the air con happening.

Man is it so much better than my old one (and makes less than half the noise).

Hopefully your no name brand goes ok. Overall you got a good price at about $1350. My Fujitsu 6kw was about $2k installed. I probably could have shopped around but my priority was getting it installed as soon as possible.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why bother with an air conditioner?

Just buy a car door and carry it around your house. When it gets hot you can roll the window down.