New air conditioner thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi All,

After a few cool weeks, we have had a couple of scorchers here, so on Thursday, I finally decided to fire up my old Panasonic air conditioner for the first time this summer. It blew air, but not cold.

Thinking it was due for a service anyway, I luckily got a guy to come yesterday, who discovered I have no gas, now being an old unit, its basically not worth repairing (it's the "old" gas that is pretty much no longer around). Its 15 years old, so it had an ok life.

So he has given me a quote for a new unit and can even install it at the end oft he week, which is pretty lucky. He has given me the option of 4 models, all fairly close in price (all single unit split systems):

Kelvinator 7.1kw
LG 7kw
Panasonic 6kw
Fujitsu 6kw.

They are all fairly basic models (one day when I buld a new house I'll be ging for the smart ones I can turn on using my smartphone etc)..... Just wondering if anyone has these brands and what they think of them. I guess I want it to be fairly energy efficient, and quiet (both inside and out).

Any recommendations???

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi All,

After a few cool weeks, we have had a couple of scorchers here, so on Thursday, I finally decided to fire up my old Panasonic air conditioner for the first time this summer. It blew air, but not cold.

Thinking it was due for a service anyway, I luckily got a guy to come yesterday, who discovered I have no gas, now being an old unit, its basically not worth repairing (it's the "old" gas that is pretty much no longer around). Its 15 years old, so it had an ok life.

So he has given me a quote for a new unit and can even install it at the end oft he week, which is pretty lucky. He has given me the option of 4 models, all fairly close in price (all single unit split systems):

Kelvinator 7.1kw
LG 7kw
Panasonic 6kw
Fujitsu 6kw.

They are all fairly basic models (one day when I buld a new house I'll be ging for the smart ones I can turn on using my smartphone etc)..... Just wondering if anyone has these brands and what they think of them. I guess I want it to be fairly energy efficient, and quiet (both inside and out).

Any recommendations???
Daikon
Or Fujitsu

Would be my recommendation

Our main lounge room unit died also
Was a Mitsubishi
Got it when they were our sponsor
It lasted ok and worked well

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@CroydonDog as a person who needs Air-Con to survive..Excellent reliable brand..
I put one in my bedroom
It’s great

All my aircon mates swear by daikon though over Fujitsu

When I can afford to get a new one in lounge room I’ll get a daikon

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I put one in my bedroom
It’s great

All my aircon mates swear by daikon though over Fujitsu

When I can afford to get a new one in lounge room I’ll get a daikon
I’ll keep Daikon in mind next time when this one packs it in.. I gotta say..regardless of brand..I love air con! Lol!

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My air conditioner is called open windows/doors. lol

No need to thank me.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My air conditioner is called open windows/doors. lol

No need to thank me.
I'm doing that at the moment, but I also have a house with no insulation. This week I'm getting that reflective paint stuff put on my roof, which is supposed to cool the house a fair bit.

My 88 yo next door neighbour survives without air con. So do I normally, but today is a shocker.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Daikon
Or Fujitsu

Would be my recommendation

Our main lounge room unit died also
Was a Mitsubishi
Got it when they were our sponsor
It lasted ok and worked well
Daikon seems to have a really good name. I was thinking either Panasonic or Fujitsu (prices were almost identical) Lucky the guy can install it this week.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@CroydonDog

Try & find out how much the air con costs to run.

You could be in for a shock, when the electricity bill arrives.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@CroydonDog

Try & find out how much the air con costs to run.

You could be in for a shock, when the electricity bill arrives.
I've had one before. My electricity bills are actually ok. I dont use my aircon much, but we did last summer when Mrs CD was heavily pregnant.

I have a small portable from Aldi that can cool one room, but that's about it.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll keep Daikon in mind next time when this one packs it in.. I gotta say..regardless of brand..I love air con! Lol!
My electricity bill loves air con also lol

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Daikon seems to have a really good name. I was thinking either Panasonic or Fujitsu (prices were almost identical) Lucky the guy can install it this week.
Go Fujitsu then
Better than Panasonic according to the air con guys I know

But I have always been a Panasonic fan
Back in the early 90s when everyone loved Sony, I was a Panasonic guy with all my audio

Not so sure about them anymore though

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm doing that at the moment, but I also have a house with no insulation. This week I'm getting that reflective paint stuff put on my roof, which is supposed to cool the house a fair bit.

My 88 yo next door neighbour survives without air con. So do I normally, but today is a shocker.
Reflective paint how much is that ?
Smash a few whirly birds on your roof and drop some inso in

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Go Fujitsu then
Better than Panasonic according to the air con guys I know

But I have always been a Panasonic fan
Back in the early 90s when everyone loved Sony, I was a Panasonic guy with all my audio

Not so sure about them anymore though
Yep an excellent audio brand..remember
the Panasonic Cup..? Gees I enjoyed mid-week 4 quarter footy.. I know too much of a strain on footy players now..but I liked it!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Reflective paint how much is that ?
Smash a few whirly birds on your roof and drop some inso in
It's this stuff: http://www.thermoshield.com.au/ . I've had a few people, including a sparky mate, who spends a lot of time on and in roofs, tell me that it really works. Cost is about $4.5k, and I will be able to tell you later this week as to whether it works or not.

The busted aircon aside, original plan to try and cool the place down was whirly birds with some batts. Two problems:

1. Asbestos roof meant I can't just cut a hole in it (not simply or cheaply anyway), and
2. The pitch of my ceiling is that shallow that getting with batts (properly) is not really possible.

Other option might have been to wait for a really severe hail storm to wreck my roof and get a new once with insurance, but I figure this one had spent 50 years getting pounded with few signs of damage.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep an excellent audio brand..remember
the Panasonic Cup..? Gees I enjoyed mid-week 4 quarter footy.. I know too much of a strain on footy players now..but I liked it!
Current one I have is Panasonic, and, yeah, it makes me think of the mid week cup.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's this stuff: http://www.thermoshield.com.au/ . I've had a few people, including a sparky mate, who spends a lot of time on and in roofs, tell me that it really works. Cost is about $4.5k, and I will be able to tell you later this week as to whether it works or not.

The busted aircon aside, original plan to try and cool the place down was whirly birds with some batts. Two problems:

1. Asbestos roof meant I can't just cut a hole in it (not simply or cheaply anyway), and
2. The pitch of my ceiling is that shallow that getting with batts (properly) is not really possible.

Other option might have been to wait for a really severe hail storm to wreck my roof and get a new once with insurance, but I figure this one had spent 50 years getting pounded with few signs of damage.
Man Asbestos..nasty stuff..broken..when it is at it’s dangerous..or intact.. My outstanding wife mate died of Mesothelioma last year..he got it fom working at Quantas insulating the airplanes engines with the stuff.. I know it may not financially possible but with your new bub I’d be giving it a wide berth..

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Let us know how it goes .
Re asbestos cut it yourself keep it wet it will be all good

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn’t trust the bastard.. I know about wetting but brother one fibre can cause an agonising death..
Yeah, i'm going to steer clear of any of that asbestos malarkey.