Opinion Never been as despondent over the last 45 years

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you are saying the Dib led board cheated the cap. What is the basis of that slanderous accusation
He was referring to the board in power in 2004 .. Dib and his board were far too incompetent to systematically cheat and get away with it..

superman75

Waterboy
Reaction score
At the years end it will be 15 years since last premiership, the second worst drought in the clubs long history.

3 years since making the finals series, the longest drought since 1961 to 1966.

In 2019 no players for NSW and only one for Queensland who is lucky to be there on form.

In all likelihood no Australian player in 2019.

Worst attack I've seen over 45 years, same as the last 2 years.

A coach who for some reason was resigned for 2020 earlier tihis year despite the team showing no improvement.

Problems with Salary cap but I'm left scratching my head when I look at other teams rosters.

Hated by all other supporters and the Daily Telegraph.

What can be done?

This year Crichton to replace Montoya in Centre once Okunbor is back.
Lewis to replace Marshall King at hooker.

Apart from that I don't know any other options than to try out some of the other players in our top 30 squad.

Moving forward approach Kevin Walters as coach or take a gamble and approach the Walker Brothers, at least they will hopefully coach us to play exciting unorthodox attacking football once again. Dean Pay reminds me of the feeling I had when Kevin Moore was coach, we will never win with him in charge.

As soon as possible offload the following players who I suspect are on big coin at least for us. If we cant offload don't resign.
Foran
Hopoate
Tolman
Jackson (as much as it hurts he seems to have lost it).

At seasons end try to offload or don't resign when contracts are up for renewal:
Lichaa
Marshall King
Holland
Montoya
Elliott
Fualalo

Then buy the best hooker, halfback, prop and centre on the market once money is available in cap.

Also the players and coaches I've listed above are tough, talented and want to succeed as you need to be to play o rcoach in the NRL, but the game is now all about results and we need some fast!

If not I fear the possibility of being considered for relocation.
I'm afraid no matter what they do to the team or coach, the dogs are gone for a long time. I can see a lot of supporters slowly but surely backing off the dogs. I'm not happy. I've been a supporter for more than 37 years. It's just disgraceful.

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Walker bros will surely spark our attack
Doesnt matter who the coach is when you have a bunch of purely, honest players such as Hoppa, Jackson,Tolman,Elliott,Marshall, Lewis and Cogger.They are incapable of any attacking flair. They may improve the situation but nothing major can happen without a change of cattle unfortunately.
Start by putting Remis in the centres so he gets more ball.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you are saying the Dib led board cheated the cap. What is the basis of that slanderous accusation
Maybe, but it could be read that way
I thought it was pretty clear that I was talking about the board that was caught cheating originally to keep the last premiership winning roster together. The cap cheating wound up leaving us in a position where our roster got torn apart over the next three years. But as it stands the old board (dib and his duds) left the new board in a position where they had to cut players to get under the cap. So technically they were in a position where they either had to also cut players or cheat the cap had they remained in place. If we didn't have to pay wages to players like Kasiano, woods and Mbye to play for different clubs we might have a better team assembled this year. And prior to that we supposedly had to pay the dragons to take Graham's contract over too.

I've got no idea how you read my response to an accusation against the old board of cap cheating. But clearly the old board had no idea how to build a sustainable roster. This board might be responsible for delivering our worst finishing position on the ladder for a long time. But even after moving players on while paying some of their wages we still needed to let the Morris twins go as well. This year looks pretty poor results wise, but for the current board it's like being put in charge of the Titanic an hour before it sunk and being blamed for not getting the ship back to shore.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty clear that I was talking about the board that was caught cheating originally to keep the last premiership winning roster together. The cap cheating wound up leaving us in a position where our roster got torn apart over the next three years. But as it stands the old board (dib and his duds) left the new board in a position where they had to cut players to get under the cap. So technically they were in a position where they either had to also cut players or cheat the cap had they remained in place. If we didn't have to pay wages to players like Kasiano, woods and Mbye to play for different clubs we might have a better team assembled this year. And prior to that we supposedly had to pay the dragons to take Graham's contract over too.

I've got no idea how you read my response to an accusation against the old board of cap cheating. But clearly the old board had no idea how to build a sustainable roster. This board might be responsible for delivering our worst finishing position on the ladder for a long time. But even after moving players on while paying some of their wages we still needed to let the Morris twins go as well. This year looks pretty poor results wise, but for the current board it's like being put in charge of the Titanic an hour before it sunk and being blamed for not getting the ship back to shore.
I

I don’t agree with what you have said mainly due to you contradicting yourself and also it make no sense but that is your opinion

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I

I don’t agree with what you have said mainly due to you contradicting yourself and also it make no sense but that is your opinion
Ok. I'll explain it simply.

Dib and co gambled that the salary cap was going to be higher than it was when signing players. They paid marquee wages for players that weren't marquee players. So the old board left us in a position where our roster wasn't under the salary cap. If they'd remained in power they were going to need to shed players or cheat the cap. The new board inherited the problem when they took over that stemmed from bad management of the cap.

Back in 03 when we were caught cheating the cap. It wasn't to bring in players, it was to keep a squad together that was largely juniors who had become rep players and guys we picked up before they were rep players who cracked into the rep scene at the club.

My main point is that I would prefer that we allow this board the chance to establish a system where we have good juniors coming through rather than pay overs for average players like we have been since 03-04.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At the years end it will be 15 years since last premiership, the second worst drought in the clubs long history.

3 years since making the finals series, the longest drought since 1961 to 1966.

In 2019 no players for NSW and only one for Queensland who is lucky to be there on form.

In all likelihood no Australian player in 2019.

Worst attack I've seen over 45 years, same as the last 2 years.

A coach who for some reason was resigned for 2020 earlier tihis year despite the team showing no improvement.

Problems with Salary cap but I'm left scratching my head when I look at other teams rosters.

Hated by all other supporters and the Daily Telegraph.

What can be done?

This year Crichton to replace Montoya in Centre once Okunbor is back.
Lewis to replace Marshall King at hooker.

Apart from that I don't know any other options than to try out some of the other players in our top 30 squad.

Moving forward approach Kevin Walters as coach or take a gamble and approach the Walker Brothers, at least they will hopefully coach us to play exciting unorthodox attacking football once again. Dean Pay reminds me of the feeling I had when Kevin Moore was coach, we will never win with him in charge.

As soon as possible offload the following players who I suspect are on big coin at least for us. If we cant offload don't resign.
Foran
Hopoate
Tolman
Jackson (as much as it hurts he seems to have lost it).

At seasons end try to offload or don't resign when contracts are up for renewal:
Lichaa
Marshall King
Holland
Montoya
Elliott
Fualalo

Then buy the best hooker, halfback, prop and centre on the market once money is available in cap.

Also the players and coaches I've listed above are tough, talented and want to succeed as you need to be to play o rcoach in the NRL, but the game is now all about results and we need some fast!

If not I fear the possibility of being considered for relocation.
Very intelligent post... Well said with a good balance of criticism and positivity.
You sir are a true blue and white supporter... It's killing us all as supporters. The dogs are on life support at the moment.
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!!
A KICK IN THE PANTS IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION... and my direction is forward to the bar for another drink
CHEERS!!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have supported the dogs fanatically since 79/80 I’ll never stop supporting my club but the last four or five seasons have left me pretty jaded and disgusted with the players the administration and the coaches and just when I think things can’t get worse they inevitably do. I guess at some point things will improve but FMD the wait is killing me