Nepotism in Rugby League

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's everywhere in the world. However you only have to look at our recruitment strategy and our focus on development in the late 1990s to early 2000s to see that we the Bulldogs weren't always like that.

When we brought over players in those days (Maitua, SBW, Price, O'Meley, Mason, Thurston, El Masri and etc) it was with proper scouting and then also having the system in place to create a winning culture. The only other team that does it correctly at the moment is the Storm with the Panthers reaping their rewards as well . Our last true superstar that we developed was Ben Barba way back in 2012. We need to go back to how we used to do things, solid recruitment in combination with a focus on junior development, although given that Hasler absolutely destroyed this, i'm not sure how long it'll take for that to happen. Not sure if anyone here read Steve Price's autobiography, but damn the showed our clubs culture in a truly strong light

I feel like our recruitment team at the moment literally just goes for players with the most hype around them instead of evaluating them properly

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanno was 18 lol
And he’s still the same player today as he was back then even after 2+ more years of FG experience. If anything he’s regressed this season.

Malla

Reaction score
And he’s still the same player today as he was back then even after 2+ more years of FG experience. If anything he’s regressed this season.
You seriously had a go at an 18 year old who made a nsw cup grand final? Didn't Newtown win that game as well? Lol

Number13

Management
Reaction score
Yeah I coach for Wenty and you see it everywhere. Without going into too much details, my son got dropped a division because they needed me to coach the division under. Only took the job to protect my boy.

I'm thinking of moving him to Penrith district if the same shit happens.

PS he is the block of cheese mixed with Taumalolo. He can solve our dummy half problem lol
I am tilting my hat to you champion! How is your boy?

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh mate it stems all the way into the juniors.... Numerous times seen the gun ethnic kids or the kids without connections get looked over by the coaches son who sat on the bench for half the game.
Totally agree with this 100%, there is so much wasted talent just because they don't have the right connections

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah I coach for Wenty and you see it everywhere. Without going into too much details, my son got dropped a division because they needed me to coach the division under. Only took the job to protect my boy.

I'm thinking of moving him to Penrith district if the same shit happens.

PS he is the block of cheese mixed with Taumalolo. He can solve our dummy half problem lol
Bulldogs fan here: what happens when the cheese goes off. Then we are back to square one. Keep producing juniors and a gem will
Come along

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. Agree with most of the above comments, well put by all.!!

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I could tell plenty of stories about Nepotism not just in Rugby League but in other junior sports as well.

For many years the Bulldogs were accused of this with a few of Bullfrog's relatives in our system. The only one of them who I believed was not up to 1st Grade Standard was his son Kevin who played lots of good games in reserve grade but he struggled in 1st Grade.

The best story I have is about a lad my stepson and myself coached back in 2014. We were approached by a player in our side to see if his cousin of the same age could join our team. We had room so we said yes.

When he came to training he told us his story. He had sat on the bench all of 2013 at his previous club in an adjoining district after winning player of the season in 2012.

in 2013 a new coach took the team who had twin sons who played half and hooker the positions this boy played.

When he joined our team it became apparent very quickly that this lad was a very skilful player in both positions and to top it off was an accomplished left foot kicker both in general play and for goal.

We won the Grand Final that year when he kicked a goal from the right hand sideline to put us 8 points in front as the clock would down.

I have heard LOTS of stories in cricket where coaches have their son bowling from the end they are umpiring and LBW decisions flow left right and centre.

My views are clouded I know but the best coaches are those who have no family member in the team .

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Totally agree with this 100%, there is so much wasted talent just because they don't have the right connections
This is 100% true not just in Rugby League but in most junior sports. Usually when they graduate to Senior level and the connections are no longer involved they get found out.