Nepotism in Rugby League

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't help but question how players like Kyle Flanagan got to play first grade and blokes like Josh Cleeland who I believe is way more talented than Flanno couldn't at least get a crack.

I reckon Nepotism is one of the reasons why we have so many average players in FG.

I swear if Flanno didn't have his fathers last name he would at least wait till he was 26 like Cody Walker or Maloney before a coach thought he was first grade ready.

There's no other explanation why a halfback who hasn't nailed the fundamentals is playing FG. I'm sure there are a lot of players like him who had connections that got them a career in the NRL.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh mate it stems all the way into the juniors.... Numerous times seen the gun ethnic kids or the kids without connections get looked over by the coaches son who sat on the bench for half the game.

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Look at our junior base. Most of our gun juniors go to parra or st george to get a fair go.
Its no better at Parra. Nepotism and “ mates” in the right place is just as bad there. They cannot even manage a draw for a seven team comp.Two of the teams playing in the semis had not played each other before in the season.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Its no better at Parra. Nepotism and “ mates” in the right place is just as bad there. They cannot even manage a draw for a seven team comp.Two of the teams playing in the semis had not played each other before in the season.
Yeah I coach for Wenty and you see it everywhere. Without going into too much details, my son got dropped a division because they needed me to coach the division under. Only took the job to protect my boy.

I'm thinking of moving him to Penrith district if the same shit happens.

PS he is the block of cheese mixed with Taumalolo. He can solve our dummy half problem lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I can't help but question how players like Kyle Flanagan got to play first grade and blokes like Josh Cleeland who I believe is way more talented than Flanno couldn't at least get a crack.

I reckon Nepotism is one of the reasons why we have so many average players in FG.

I swear if Flanno didn't have his fathers last name he would at least wait till he was 26 like Cody Walker or Maloney before a coach thought he was first grade ready.

There's no other explanation why a halfback who hasn't nailed the fundamentals is playing FG. I'm sure there are a lot of players like him who had connections that got them a career in the NRL.
I will always be fucking dirty on our club for not giving Cleeland a debut he more than deserved. The way today's game is I think he would have thrived behind a good pack.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The nepotism and influence of the loud and aggressive has made rep footy at the junior levels increasingly irrelevant in terms of judging talent based on "resume" - im not involved in the game anymore but i sense that player managers have increasing influence on selections and opportunities.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nepotism aside, it was Barrett who signed him to the club, not his dad.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Absolutely why we got rid of him beats me
I always rated him and backed him, said on a few occasions Cogger and Burton would make a good halves pairing. Sadly Baz didn't see it this way.

Malla

Reaction score
You think Cleeland is better than Flanno? Jesus lol

I agree with the point you are trying to make tho. Given there's no real pathway to first grade in rugby league, a lot of the time its who you know. Flanno got his shot at the Sharks because of his dad. Actually, there's heaps more players in the league right now who are sons or relatives of former players. It's pretty fucking shit tbh.

Game needs a more structure pathway into first grade. Starts with school footy and builds from there ie. school footy into 20s into jersey flegg and so on.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always rated him and backed him, said on a few occasions Cogger and Burton would make a good halves pairing. Sadly Baz didn't see it this way.
Hindsights a wonderfull thing aint it i thought cogger under pay was pretty decent way better than what we got to endure now

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You think Cleeland is better than Flanno? Jesus lol
He outplayed him convincingly in the 2018 NSW Cup GF when he was playing for the Jets. He was really solid that entire season and should have been given a crack at FG.

Malla

Reaction score
He outplayed him convincingly in the 2018 NSW Cup GF when he was playing for the Jets. He was really solid that entire season and should have been given a crack at FG.
Flanno was 18 lol