Nelson Asofa Solomona

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL integrity unit clears Storm forward Nelson Asofa-Solomona over Bali brawl

The NRL integrity unit has reportedly cleared Storm star Nelson Asofa-Solomona for the first round of the NRL season.
The NRL and the club will reportedly announce the sanctions and disciplinary action they will take against the star forward, but The Herald Sun reports Asofa-Solomona will be free to play in the opening game of the 2020 NRL season.

He could still be suspended for pre-season games and face a fine after dramatic vision showed the Kiwi prop throwing punches after teammate Suliasi Vunivalu was allegedly the victim of a coward punch attack in Bali.

It has emerged Vunivalu was allegedly hit by an unprovoked man before the altercation, triggering Asofa-Solomona’s reaction to try and defend his teammate.

The New Zealand Rugby League will also announce its own verdict and potential disciplinary action against Asofa-Solomona after he was earlier this month selected in the Kiwis’ squad for upcoming test matches, including a game against Australia.

“We’ll leave it with the integrity unit,” Kiwis coach Michael Maguire said.

“That’s what it’s there for. That’s all we can say at the moment. No doubt, we will have conversations and look after that in due time.

“I’m not going to assume anything. They’ll make sure they are thorough in what they go through. I’m sure the integrity unit will do that.”

Asofa-Solomona’s situation has split opinion across the league after footage appeared to show him throwing several punches outside a restaurant last weekend.

Asofa-Solomona landed back in Australia on Monday from Bali and met Storm officials hours later.

If the 23-year-old was suspended, it would come as a massive blow for the Kiwis, already without injured forwards Jesse Bromwich and James Fisher-Harris.

Asofa-Solomona, having played just five Tests, would have been a guaranteed starter, with Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Leeson Ah Mau, Braden Hamlin-Uele and Isaac Liu the other middles in their 19-man squad.

It comes after Vunivalu spoke for the first time about the incident in an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph.

Vunivalu said Asofa-Solomona was protecting him when he lashed out at men alleged to have been involved in the coward punch attack on Vunivalu.

“I blacked out but when I came to I looked up and I was like ‘holy heck what just happened’. I was so scared,” Vunivalu said.

“I didn’t see it coming. I was lucky I didn’t fall and hit my head because people would have been visiting in a coma from my hospital bed.

“The scariest bit was being punched and having no idea it happened. I would’ve defended myself and tried to dodge the punch but I didn’t have time. It was out of the blue that I got punched.”

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Hahahaha what a fucking joke. Nothing to see here whatsoever. Poor Suli was just minding his own business it seems.....
I would wager a decent amount of money that he was being a fuckwit, not just a sweet innocent precious angel who got whacked for no reason.
The Telegraph were really running hard with the "poor Suli" angle. Then again they are run by News Ltd IIRC and News Ltd just happen to co-incidently pretty much own the Melbourne Storm.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha what a fucking joke. Nothing to see here whatsoever. Poor Suli was just minding his own business it seems.....
I would wager a decent amount of money that he was being a fuckwit, not just a sweet innocent precious angel who got whacked for no reason.
The Telegraph were really running hard with the "poor Suli" angle. Then again they are run by News Ltd IIRC and News Ltd just happen to co-incidently pretty much own the Melbourne Storm.
of course he would have been... Just like all the other Aussies who go over there and think they are Gods among the local peasants.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Asofa-Solomona suspended for three matches over Bali incident

Storm prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona has been suspended for three matches and slapped with a suspended $15,000 fine following a late-night brawl outside a nightclub in Bali last weekend.

The NRL handed down its judgment on Friday afternoon following an investigation by the NRL Integrity Unit and consultation with his club. Asofa-Solomona will consequently miss New Zealand's three end-of-season Tests but will be available for Melbourne in round one next year.

The NRL said the sanctions take into account evidence which showed a degree of provocation contributed to the incident, Asofa-Solomona’s cooperation with the NRL investigation and the remorse he has shown.

In a club statement, Asofa-Solomona expressed his regret over the incident.

“At the time, I was worried about Suli, who had earlier been coward-punched in an unprovoked attack,” Asofa-Solomona said.

“Suli is one of my closest friends and obviously I would never have reacted that way had he not been assaulted earlier inside the bar.

“The last few days have been very tough obviously, but the support I have had from the Club, the RLPA, my family, friends and the fans has been incredible.

“Looking back on this incident, could this have been handled differently? Yes, I could have picked up Suli and got out of there. Unfortunately, that is not the way this played out.

“I understand that as a Storm and NRL player, I’m a role model for kids and I want them to know that meeting violence with violence is not the solution.”

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg addressed the incident earlier in the week.

"Make good decisions, and if you're in a situation like that where there is trouble brewing, walk away," Greenberg said.

"Take yourself out of that situation. And make very smart choices particularly late at night. That is my advice to players.

"I think every single player who puts on an NRL jersey is acutely aware of their responsibility. We can't have a repeat of what we saw last year.

"Players will know if they make poor errors of judgment or poor decisions there is going to be significant consequences for those. And I think every player is acutely aware of that."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/16/nrl-investigating-storm-players-alleged-role-in-bali-incident/

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Self defense. Defense of others.
Im sure they did nothing to provoke the attack.
Pfft.
Shitcunts will always need to defend themselves, because they’re shitcunts.
I’ve never been king hit. Probably because I don’t go around acting like a fucken hero.

Banned
Reaction score
Fuck Todd is a grub.
Someone is assaulting you/your mate and his solution is to just walk away from it.
Yeah because the other fuckwit is not going to follow you and continue assaulting you!
Feel like organising a flashmob to surround him and when he complains that he can't move, tell him to not make bad decisions, take himself out of the situation and just walk away!
Fucking hell, and the dick is the CEO of NRL as well!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The NRL is a complete joke. He should be given an award not suspended.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I couldn’t give a rats who trusts either, especially you. It was direct quotes from an interview from Vunivalu
The guy who let his team mate fly back to Australia to face the music alone, while he continued on with his holiday? And he was being attacked by 3 guys says DT that you pass on here yet stays on in Bali. Nice.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The guy who let his team mate fly back to Australia to face the music alone, while he continued on with his holiday? And he was being attacked by 3 guys says DT that you pass on here yet stays on in Bali. Nice.
I didn’t think you were replying to me anymore Wendy? It’s their business and who knows what the conversations were. I wasn’t there. You? Maybe he was advised not to fly?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
For once Todd has got it right... It's not about the events that occurred but the players putting themselves in a location where such events do occur, regularly, to people with or without a high profile. Night clubs=trouble... simple.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I didn’t think you were replying to me anymore Wendy? It’s their business and who knows what the conversations were. I wasn’t there. You? Maybe he was advised not to fly?
I did regret it.

Remember to ignore me too!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
fighting is for degenerates lol I always see these deros down the road having organised fights underneath the shopping centre while some loser films it

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
If you don't fire up and fly in when your mate is in trouble you're nothing but a cowardly dog with no loyalty. Fuck the consequences of defending your brother.

Malla

Reaction score
I need to understand why Anasta didn't take his own advise when Faalongo clocked him in the face

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I pay homeless people to let me beat them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.