NBN Plans / Modems

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone have advice? We have finally been connected via FTTB (which should mean our connection will be fast).

My Netgear D6000 modem which worked for ADSL will apparently not work for NBN FTTB. Anyone have advice on a modem that isn't too expensive but does the job for FTTB?

I've signed up with Aussie BB on a 50mbs/20 unlimited plan. But may upgrade this to 100/20 if the 50 isn't fast enough.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m interested in upgrading the shitbox Modem southern phone gave me with my FTTN connection.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Aussie BB are great. I switched to them from TPG and their customer service is so much better.

For modems you need a VDSL2 modem. Unfortunately not all are created equal and many VDSL2 modems have issues with NBN. An example is the next step up from yours (D7000) which technically works with the NBN but has many drop out issues. Although this is apparently fixed with the latest firmware.

My personal suggestion depending on the size of your house is to get a basic NBN VDSL2 modem, put it in bridge mode, then connect a mesh WiFi network like the Google WiFi units or the D-Link Covr. Keep in mind that this setup could be easy or difficult depending on the modem you choose. Any modem with a pure bridge mode will work fine. Any modem with a quasi-bride mode (like the Archer modems) are a bit more difficult to set up.

If you're looking for a pure modem/router combo without the mesh then whirlpool forums have a good thread on tested and supported modems

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
My NBN is shit, not much faster than when I had ADSL but it's more so to do with the area I live. At least it Unlimited.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Aussie BB are great. I switched to them from TPG and their customer service is so much better.

For modems you need a VDSL2 modem. Unfortunately not all are created equal and many VDSL2 modems have issues with NBN. An example is the next step up from yours (D7000) which technically works with the NBN but has many drop out issues. Although this is apparently fixed with the latest firmware.

My personal suggestion depending on the size of your house is to get a basic NBN VDSL2 modem, put it in bridge mode, then connect a mesh WiFi network like the Google WiFi units or the D-Link Covr. Keep in mind that this setup could be easy or difficult depending on the modem you choose. Any modem with a pure bridge mode will work fine. Any modem with a quasi-bride mode (like the Archer modems) are a bit more difficult to set up.

If you're looking for a pure modem/router combo without the mesh then whirlpool forums have a good thread on tested and supported modems

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router
Thanks for the info!

I need to research modems more (i've spent most of my time researching the physical NBN connection so far).

We are only in a smaller 1 bedroom apartment. Does this mean I can just buy a physical modem and connect it up with the ethernet cable in a 'plug-n-play' arrangement and avoid having to do anything more technical?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
My NBN is shit, not much faster than when I had ADSL but it's more so to do with the area I live. At least it Unlimited.
I bumped into the NBN tech when he was doing the final inspection last week. He said the fibre is all the way into the basement of our building, so our speeds should be some of the highest possible on the NBN.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I need to research modems more (i've spent most of my time researching the physical NBN connection so far).

We are only in a smaller 1 bedroom apartment. Does this mean I can just buy a physical modem and connect it up with the ethernet cable in a 'plug-n-play' arrangement and avoid having to do anything more technical?
Yep. Have a look at NBN compatible VDSL2 modems then check them against the Whirlpool link to make sure that they actually work. In a one bedroom apartment you don't have to worry too much about wifi range so a simple VDSL2 modem should work fine.

If you contact your ISP (Aussie BB) they can usually provide a modem that's guaranteed to work well with their service.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NBN to our house and I'm guessing the wider neighbourhood has been out for 6 hours and counting. No eta when it will be restored, no text messages giving updates etc. Fuckin hopeless.

Search result at 12 Jun 10:34pm

Result based on local time zone at address.

An unplanned incident is affecting the network

nbn is investigating a network outage in this area. As a result, users may experience a partial or total loss of connectivity. Restoration is underway.

For information on how this may impact your service, please contact your phone and internet provider.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bumped into the NBN tech when he was doing the final inspection last week. He said the fibre is all the way into the basement of our building, so our speeds should be some of the highest possible on the NBN.
What is highest possible on NBN?
I'm gigabit wired and ~500Mbps wireless .. unlimited $20/month
Heck my cell phone is $25/month for 25GB and that hit 70Mbps 4G

Singapore!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone Use the mesh systems? Going to start looking into getting one

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone Use the mesh systems? Going to start looking into getting one
What are you trying to achieve?
Better consistent Wi-Fi coverage?
More than one level in your house?
Outdoor coverage?
Netgear Orbi with Wi-Fi 6 is often a good place to start but it’s not the only game in town.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Outdoor coverage?
Netgear Orbi with Wi-Fi 6 is often a good place to start but it’s not the only game in town.
Isn't that shit like 2k? Bet my FIFA would still lag :rage:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't that shit like 2k? Bet my FIFA would still lag :rage:
Depends how many extenders you need/want.
Starts around $400 for two dual band nodes and goes up to $2k for 3 tri-band nodes, but very few people need tri-band. And yeah, whilst Wi-Fi 6 is definitely better than older standards, it’s not a panacea - there’s still several ways an interweb signal can get choked.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Outdoor coverage?
Looking for consistent speeds across a two storey house. Working from home upstairs and downstairs happens frequently.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Looking for consistent speeds across a two storey house. Working from home upstairs and downstairs happens frequently.
OK, so if work is your main driver and assuming you also do general streaming (Netflix, Kayo, YouTube etc) and have no specific latency requirements (eg: Gaming) then you could consider the Linksys Velop over the Netgear Orbi. Slightly lower spec but still does a good job. Place one of the nodes next to / connect to your NBN modem (either up or downstairs) and the other one on the other level. Make sure you set the NBN modem to Bridge Mode so it ONLY controls the incoming interwebs signal and let the mesh distribute the Wi-Fi exclusively. It should give you plenty of good coverage for ~$500.
If you want to add a third router for say backyard/BBQ area coverage (if that applies) it'll be an extra ~$150.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Depends how many extenders you need/want.
Starts around $400 for two dual band nodes and goes up to $2k for 3 tri-band nodes, but very few people need tri-band. And yeah, whilst Wi-Fi 6 is definitely better than older standards, it’s not a panacea - there’s still several ways an interweb signal can get choked.
I actually switched back to wifi, FIFA runs better on it even though the numbers are technically worse when compared to using a cable. Explain that to me :tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I actually switched back to wifi, FIFA runs better on it even though the numbers are technically worse when compared to using a cable. Explain that to me :tearsofjoy:
Same. I’ve found Wi-Fi 6 to be better than ethernet. Illogical in some ways but the proof is in the pudding so I’m sticking with what works :-).

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should check to see if you can get 5g it much cheaper then NBN telstra cost 85 per month I've gotten speeds of over 700 Mbps.

The only downside is the modem seems to have to be turn on or off every couple of days that a minute to do.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
OK, so if work is your main driver and assuming you also do general streaming (Netflix, Kayo, YouTube etc) and have no specific latency requirements (eg: Gaming) then you could consider the Linksys Velop over the Netgear Orbi. Slightly lower spec but still does a good job. Place one of the nodes next to / connect to your NBN modem (either up or downstairs) and the other one on the other level. Make sure you set the NBN modem to Bridge Mode so it ONLY controls the incoming interwebs signal and let the mesh distribute the Wi-Fi exclusively. It should give you plenty of good coverage for ~$500.
If you want to add a third router for say backyard/BBQ area coverage (if that applies) it'll be an extra ~$150.
You reckon these ones go alright?

Only thing is, I have a Vodafone router, would I need to upgrade that being the weak link?