NBN Plans / Modems

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve got a FTTP connection, the box looks like the one in the link below. That box is connected to the WAN port on the Vodafone modem. There’s no other cables going into the Vodafone modem (no DSL or LAN) other than power
Ah, so you have a home phone?
Yes, didn’t consider that, sorry, as I don’t.
If you do and want to keep it, you may need to ask Voda how to get incorporate the Orbi’s. At a guess I’d say the modem is already is bridge mode and the Wi-Fi box also needs to be placed in bridge mode with the phone plugged into the main Orbi, but not knowing how Voda configure their kit I can’t say for sure.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So do I have to connect one of the orbis to the Vodafone modem via a cable? So they main orbi and my current Vodafone modem will be pretty much sitting next to each other?
Yes. The modem and main router need to be connected physically so the internet signal (modem) can be passed to the main Orbi to distribute the Wi-Fi.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve got a FTTP connection, the box looks like the one in the link below. That box is connected to the WAN port on the Vodafone modem. There’s no other cables going into the Vodafone modem (no DSL or LAN) other than power
In that case, the white box is your modem. If you take the cable that's plugged into the WAN port and plug it into the Orbi, that should work. As long as Vodafone doesn't require a user name and password. They usually don't need it now days.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ah, so you have a home phone?
Yes, didn’t consider that, sorry, as I don’t.
If you do and want to keep it, you may need to ask Voda how to get incorporate the Orbi’s. At a guess I’d say the modem is already is bridge mode and the Wi-Fi box also needs to be placed in bridge mode with the phone plugged into the main Orbi, but not knowing how Voda configure their kit I can’t say for sure.
Nah I don’t have a home phone, and don’t anticipate needing one, haven’t had one for years

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
In that case, the white box is your modem. If you take the cable that's plugged into the WAN port and plug it into the Orbi, that should work. As long as Vodafone doesn't require a user name and password. They usually don't need it now days.
Nah I don’t have a home phone, and don’t anticipate needing one, haven’t had one for years
So it sounds like for FTTP or at least Voda that white box they give you is your modem. You should be able to connect the main Orbi directly to it via Ethernet and just bridge it as described above. Physically it looks a bit different to mine but I’m also on HFC so that could be the difference. The rest, in theory, is the same.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes. The modem and main router need to be connected physically so the internet signal (modem) can be passed to the main Orbi to distribute the Wi-Fi.
Would I be able to leave the current set up and add those two orbi devices as satellites? So that I can place both of them a decent distance from the Vodafone modem? Or doesn’t work like that.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So it sounds like for FTTP or at least Voda that white box they give you is your modem. You should be able to connect the main Orbi directly to it via Ethernet and just bridge it as described above. Physically it looks a bit different to mine but I’m also on HFC so that could be the difference. The rest, in theory, is the same.
Okay cool I think I got it, with that link I sent earlier, the orbi modem replaces the Vodafone modem, and the satellite goes elsewhere in the house wirelessly

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Would I be able to leave the current set up and add those two orbi devices as satellites? So that I can place both of them a decent distance from the Vodafone modem? Or doesn’t work like that.
Nah. Orbi's only walk to Orbi's. Do one Orbi needs to be connected.

Your 2 options are:

1) connect the Orbi to the white NBN box, and put the other Orbi in another room. The downside is that you may need to configure a few settings on the Orbi but it's usually easy to find these details online

2) connect the Orbi to the Vodafone Wifi Hub (physically connected) then put the other Orbi in another room. The upside is thag you will still be able to use a phone if you have one connected to that, but your devices will be double NATed. This basically means that certain things may struggle to connect and it may slow down your connection a bit. For example, online gaming with a double NAT is pretty bad

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Based on this it looks like there shouldn't be any real config needed. Just connect one Orbi to the white NBN box. It could take up to 1 hour for it to connect.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Okay cool I think I got it, with that link I sent earlier, the orbi modem replaces the Vodafone modem, and the satellite goes elsewhere in the house wirelessly
No the main Orbi connects to the Voda modem, it doesn’t replace it. Orbi isn’t a modem, it’s a router. And you still need to put the Voda modem into Bridge Mode to stop it broadcasting Wi-Fi. The rest, yes.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No the main Orbi connects to the Voda modem, it doesn’t replace it. Orbi isn’t a modem, it’s a router. And you still need to put the Voda modem into Bridge Mode to stop it broadcasting Wi-Fi. The rest, yes.
Okay cool, got it. Thanks for your all your help mate, I think this orbi that I posted before is best for now vs the cheaper one that is dual band etc. I reckon just one satellite will get me going well enough, it’s just the living room/outdoor area mainly that I need to reach.

Based on this it looks like there shouldn't be any real config needed. Just connect one Orbi to the white NBN box. It could take up to 1 hour for it to connect.

Yeah true, I don’t mind getting into the back end stuff to be honest. It kinda makes sense if you know what you are looking for

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Okay cool, got it. Thanks for your all your help mate, I think this orbi that I posted before is best for now vs the cheaper one that is dual band etc. I reckon just one satellite will get me going well enough, it’s just the living room/outdoor area mainly that I need to reach.
All good. Agree re: your Orbi choice. Wi-Fi 6 / Tri-band will serve you better into the future with more devices hanging off the network and you can always add extra satellites later if you need to. Let us know how it goes when you set it up. Cheers.