NBN Modem advice

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ask a builder, most houses are single network for the power points. Some really large houses might not be, but ive lived in a normal sized 2 storey which worked fine upstairs to downstairs.

It shouldnt affect the equipment like the router, power doesnt travel from the point through the lan cable to the router or pc. I was sceptical about them for years, thinking they would blow up my equipment. Then i lived in a house that hated wifi, and the cost of putting points everywhere was high. Also the missus wouldnt want cables running everywhere outside the walls. So i tried them. They are cheap to impliment. Never looked back. Never had any equipment blow up, or problems with connection. Maybe once every few months on average i have to turn them off and back on when they lock up. I guess things that could change that are shitty cheap powerline adapters or poor house wiring (if thats the case internet isnt you biggestr concern). Compatibility issues i havent heard of. The signal is filtered by the adapter and only a normal lan signal goes from the adapter to the equipment. Id say the equipment was the issue for people who had that.

Just a cheap option that works well for a lot of people. About $50 per point (and you need one at the router too). Ive even tried them in a house that was 40 years old and 2 storey, no issue.
More of a question for sparkies. Most new houses have more than one (they do this so if there is a problem in the house, only one area is affected rather than the entire house. It's easy to tell, simply look inside the fuse box and see how many fuses there are. My house has 4 of them. Older houses however are likely to have 1 or 2 based on their size.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It basically acts as a router. You manage it using the Google WiFi app for Android or iOS. Then to get more coverage you add extra Google WiFi routers that act as wireless repeaters.

If you have FTTP then you just plug it into the NBN box with a network/Ethernet cable and set it up via the app.

If you have FTTB/FTTN then you need another modem and you need to plug the Google WiFi into the modem. It's preferable that you put the modem in bridge mode before plugging the Google WiFi into it. But in bridge mode you lose some aspects of the NBN modem like the landline. You can plug it into the modem without bridge mode but then you get a double NAT which causes problems for online gaming.

Go to this page and enter your address. That will tell you if you have FTTN, FTTP or FTTB

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address
I'm having deja vu

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
More of a question for sparkies. Most new houses have more than one (they do this so if there is a problem in the house, only one area is affected rather than the entire house. It's easy to tell, simply look inside the fuse box and see how many fuses there are. My house has 4 of them. Older houses however are likely to have 1 or 2 based on their size.
I meant i asked a builder and he told me that, but yeh sparkies even better.

Ive had them working in a brand new house not long ago. That house only had 1 circuit for power points, the other circuits were lights, stove, hot water etc.

Anyway just an option to look into. Some houses are just shit for wifi whatever router you get (steel framed houses for example) and its an option. I dont use the wifi powerline adapters, just know they exist, i plug my PC and the girl's via lan cables. No matter how great your wifi is, it will never be as fast or stable as a good cabled connection. Important to me coz i do online games where ping matters

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can’t help I haven’t even got Facebook, instagram and still haven’t sorted out Snapchat. Might be an age thing but more likely lack of intelligence.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they split up per utility. Powerpoints on one network, lights on another. But some houses split up the circuits. Easy to check though. Have a look in your fuse box and if you have more than one fuse for power then you probably have more than one power network.

In my old house there were two power networks but that was a large 2 story house. A mate's house was one step further. Half the house was on one power station while the other house was on another. Something to do with restrictions while they were extending the house.

It's funny. They have a power outage and only lose power to half the house.