National Australia Day

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. Like Orange Chicken in America. That stuff is just weird
Panda Express is the most non-Chinese Chinese food I’ve ever tried. I’ve been there twice - the first time and the last time :-).

PF Changs is bearable but still very Americanised. Generally Asian food in America isn’t great.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I always ask the same question regarding Australia day "if Australia were invaded by another country who then imposed their day of celebration on us, would you conform and celebrate it or would you protest it?"

If the answer is protest it, then you have something in common with our indigenous brothers, you just need the circumstances to be different.
Nasheed here
It isn’t a white day
It’s australi day and they are part of Australia

either way it’s a glamorous topic and if you move it? So what?
Will these colonial issues go away? No
Will it stop aboriginal men in the NT raping babies? No
Would anything change? No
They will just start whinging on a new topic like ‘change the name’ from Blacktown to somethifn else.
What you are going to think aborigines are going to stop and say ‘yo thanks for amending them anthem, saying sorry in 2007 and now changing the date 2 days forward. We good now yo’
Won’t happen so draw a line in the sand. This Shit wouldn’t fly in Russia.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone does know aboriginals came down through Indonesia and invaded first right….

End of the day no matter what day you put it someone somewhere will be offended
I read also there was some race already here they are as well.
Like found legit bite marks in skulls that predates aboriginal existence here

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here
It isn’t a white day
It’s australi day and they are part of Australia

either way it’s a glamorous topic and if you move it? So what?
Will these colonial issues go away? No
Will it stop aboriginal men in the NT raping babies? No
Would anything change? No
They will just start whinging on a new topic like ‘change the name’ from Blacktown to somethifn else.
What you are going to think aborigines are going to stop and say ‘yo thanks for amending them anthem, saying sorry in 2007 and now changing the date 2 days forward. We good now yo’
Won’t happen so draw a line in the sand. This Shit wouldn’t fly in Russia.
Then fly to russia, I'll chip in for a one way ticket.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read also there was some race already here they are as well.
Like found legit bite marks in skulls that predates aboriginal existence here
lol dude you are so full of shit I can smell it through my screen.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s true. Of all the food I’ve eaten in a few visits to mainland China, almost nothing resembles what we consider ‘Chinese Food’. More westernised places with large Chinese populations like HK (when under British rule) or Singapore adapted Chinese cooking to appeal to Western tourism.

You won’t find any Lemon Chicken in China either, but the food differs quite a lot by region. I’ve had cold milk based meat in Shanghai, duck heart and snakes blood in Beijing, none of which I chose of course but was being polite to my host who paid the bill.
Yup. Most of the Chinese food you'll find in restaurants around the world is cantonese food. Mainland Chinese dishes are very different.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn, I dropped 1
Some engineers did that once when digging a mine under a lake. A calculation was off by 1 and it resulted in there being a new, much, much larger lake full of ships and billions of dollars of loss. Funny story.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there another country in the world that uses the day it was colonised as its national day ?
how many nations have another nation's flag in the top corner of their own? not many, I would think (especially non-British)... symbols are a difficult thing to understand and rarely satisfy all

just look at some of the more controversial symbols in the US... the Confederate battle flag --> an expression of Southern identity or a symbol of hate? Revolutionary and Confederate statues --> historical figures that helped shape the nation or enablers of or outright white supremacists? how about the cities and towns and educational institutions and holidays bearing Christopher Columbus' name and where his place and legacy in history truly belongs with what happened to the Americas post-1492?

I will give you another example... in 1992 and with Yugoslavia crumbling around it, the future for Bosnia was uncertain because you have three constituent nations within Bosnia being Bosniaks (ie. Bosnian Muslims), Serbs and Croats which led to a three and a half year war which ended with peace involving a two republic federal state comprising a Bosniak-Croat Federation and a Bosnian Serb Republic... and for their holidays, the federation celebrates their independence day on the day of the referendum when Bosniaks and Croats voted to breakaway from the remnants of Yugoslavia (boycotted by the Serbs) and the Bosnian Serbs celebrate the day the Bosnian Serb parliament proclaimed the Bosnian Serb Republic as "Republic Day"... and neither day is celebrated in the other republic

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares about aboriginals so much in this context? There’s literally more Lebs than aboriginals in Australia now.
why not just carve out a little more ofArnhem land andgive that to aboriginal Australia and make their own country?

I suspect they won’t go for it and I know why.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There’s a theory in 1421 that the Chinese discovered what is now known as Australia. Think about that for second if the Chinese had stayed and colonised this land I don’t think the aboriginals would have as much say or welfare payments as they get today. yes the British were ruthless and committed some horrible crimes but under communist rule this country would be less sympathetic to aboriginals today if the history was changed.
Not much we can do about the past but together we can build a future. If people want to change the day then change it who really gives a crap about it?

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bottom line is every land, country and island has been invaded or found by someone else.
Things are the way are until the next hungry power tripper wants more land.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Australia Day seems like a low hanging fruit to me. Not much work to get to and a somewhat symbolic victory if we change it. It's not going to significantly improve the lives of Aboriginals to change the date.

I've never been to a remote aboriginal community where they seem to still have connections to the land and their traditional culture. But I have a feeling that if those remote communities were given a choice between good healthcare and educational opportunities, they'd be happy to let Australia Day remain where it is. Meanwhile for many Aboriginals living in cities, far disconnected from their traditions and culture, the date is a seemingly significant thing because they have access to most essential services.

I attended University with a couple of Aboriginal students. Knew one of them fairly well and he was less than ecstatic about the fact that his culture was portrayed by the loud portion of Aboriginals that thought everything deserved to be given to them (specifically with those that were raised in suburbia).

So like the OP said, this is actually a pretty complex issue and I don't think that the polarising issue here should be about the date of Australia Day. But to finish where I started, it's a low hanging fruit.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
How about change the anthem.
Not for any other reason other than, it's rubbish compared to just about everyone else's anthem.