National Australia Day

Proud Kiwi

New Pup
Reaction score
I saw the thread for this topic closed. So here's my opinion.

As a Kiwi who has spent at least a third of my life in Australia I have some thoughts on the hot topic of when to celebrate Australia day.

As non-indigenous Aussies have not been dispossessed of their land or culture, it isn’t something they think about. Whereas the Australian aboriginals have been condemned to have lost both home and culture through European settlement. Not just the land and culture that existed at the time of settlement but the potential of what it would have become if left to develop.

They have more reason to feel dispossessed and an incredible level of injustice from these events. Therefore, their opinion of Australia Day is vastly different from non-indigenous Australians. Going so far as to call it invasion day. The gap between that opinion and the unwoken Aussie who cannot grasp what would upset a person about celebrating the day it all kicked off is bigger than the ditch between here and New Zealand.

The attitude towards the indigenous population in New Zealand is vastly different. Firstly, there is a treaty signed 181 years ago which is the basis of European and Maori cooperation, which is regularly revisited, ensuring both parties are aware of any obligations that are needing to be fulfilled.

The language of both treaty partners is used in everyday instances such as place names, speeches, the national anthem and so forth, to achieve a more egalitarian society. Our parliamentarian system reserves a number of representative seats in parliament for Maori candidates.

Australia is always speaking about how they wish to improve the Aboriginal wellbeing with platitudes, such as ‘closing the gap’. However, in actual fact we don’t see any practical evidence of moving towards an equal and fair society for all members. From my viewpoint until this translates into any real actions that match the platitudes, we won’t see the change that’s needed in Australia.

Upon conclusion, I would suggest we give the first people the choice of which day they would prefer for Australia day to be celebrated. Respect their viewpoint and find another day that all can have pride in the country as one, today and forevermore.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Well written and thought through I couldn’t care as long as everyone is happy and we get a day off and try to pick the summer months but don’t care either way..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always ask the same question regarding Australia day "if Australia were invaded by another country who then imposed their day of celebration on us, would you conform and celebrate it or would you protest it?"

If the answer is protest it, then you have something in common with our indigenous brothers, you just need the circumstances to be different.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I always ask the same question regarding Australia day "if Australia were invaded by another country who then imposed their day of celebration on us, would you conform and celebrate it or would you protest it?"

If the answer is protest it, then you have something in common with our indigenous brothers, you just need the circumstances to be different.
Is there another country in the world that uses the day it was colonised as its national day ?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I’ve always said have Indigenous Day then a reflection and acknowledgment of European settlement day then a celebration of multiculturalism day the next - Dare anyone to oppose 3 days off.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there another country in the world that uses the day it was colonised as its national day ?
Dunno, but it wouldn't have to be the day they invaded us. When China take over in 2051, will you celebrate the 130 year anniversary of the CCP in 2052 or would you and your family protest it?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Depends if there be free Mongolian lamb on the day
That’s what my multicultural days idea is about. On that day you and the family book a table at the Chinese, Indian, Viet bloody whatever restaurant or get invited over by your Greek neighbours to have some lamb or your Vietnamese neighbour over the road brings you some Pho or whatever that sort of idea. Even down to the true blue Aussie having continental sausages on the bbq and drinking this Kingfisher beer from bloody India if they are still stuck in the dark ages.. That’s kind of the concept anyway

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s what my multicultural days idea is about. On that day you and the family book a table at the Chinese, Indian, Viet bloody whatever restaurant or get invited over by your Greek neighbours to have some lamb or your Vietnamese neighbour over the road brings you some Pho or whatever that sort of idea. Even down to the true blue Aussie having continental sausages on the bbq and drinking this Kingfisher beer from bloody India if they are still stuck in the dark ages.. That’s kind of the concept anyway
I like it ,but do we gots to invite the welsh ?their food doesn't look or smell good

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Like most important issues in Australia: it gets politicised primarily by the conservative right instead of having a sensible, mature national discussion.

Instead we get brain dead pollies like Barnaby Joyce calling the Uluru Statemennt from the Heart a threat and third seat of Parliament or Eric Abetz who said it was a lawyer's picnic...end of.

Whilst we have immature, bigotted pollies and greedy media barons backing them, running the show, Australia will remain a backwards nation as far as progress is concerned.

Nearly every issue, of any national importance, or nation building, has gone that way since the media starting determining Australia's future direction.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's not make an official date but rather the first Friday in February. That way we can all relax and not worry about working the next day, have an enjoyable day on the beers.
Surely everybody wins

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends if there be free Mongolian lamb on the day
Considering that Mongolian Lamb was invented by an American, probably not likely.

Worked with a Chinese chef a while back shortly after he moved to Australia. He said to me, "what the fuck is this Mongolian Lamb you people eat? I never heard of this shit before"

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Considering that Mongolian Lamb was invented by an American, probably not likely.

Worked with a Chinese chef a while back shortly after he moved to Australia. He said to me, "what the fuck is this Mongolian Lamb you people eat? I never heard of this shit before"
It’s true. Of all the food I’ve eaten in a few visits to mainland China, almost nothing resembles what we consider ‘Chinese Food’. More westernised places with large Chinese populations like HK (when under British rule) or Singapore adapted Chinese cooking to appeal to Western tourism.

You won’t find any Lemon Chicken in China either, but the food differs quite a lot by region. I’ve had cold milk based meat in Shanghai, duck heart and snakes blood in Beijing, none of which I chose of course but was being polite to my host who paid the bill.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Bizarre isn't it every Chinese in every country is different, you could eat Chinese in 30 countries go to China to have " Chinese " and not have had a single dish you previously tried in the other countries

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone does know aboriginals came down through Indonesia and invaded first right….

End of the day no matter what day you put it someone somewhere will be offended

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

You haven't had a kebab unless you've been to Turkey.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bizarre isn't it every Chinese in every country is different, you could eat Chinese in 30 countries go to China to have " Chinese " and not have had a single dish you previously tried in the other countries
Yep. Like Orange Chicken in America. That stuff is just weird