Napa Consolidated Discussion Thread

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Paul Dunn exposed Klemmer for the myth David is, when he questioned his commitment to club footy compared to his rep footy. Napa is a madman the only question I have will Napa be able to lead our young forwards by example??? Will he be able to fire them up and instill the same aggression and determination into our young pups that he displayed in origin and at the Roosters E.g 2014 vs Souths. The day he destroyed the Burges Brothers :grinning: The only problem with Napa is his consistency and tackling technique, here's hoping that Pay being an ex forward maybe able to guide and succeed with Napa where Trent Robinson failed.
The only problem In regards to consistency is he wears a dogs jersey now so what he would of got way with in a rooster Jersey he probaly will be treated alot harsher by the refs now

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only problem In regards to consistency is he wears a dogs jersey now so what he would of got way with in a rooster Jersey he probaly will be treated alot harsher by the refs now
With a player like Napa wearing our jersey there is always that chance that the refs will target him. Hopefully the refs will allow the game to flow and only intervene when they must and not when they think they should as per Graham Annesley directions. I think with Napa in the side we may have a true enforcer to lead our pack, not just a castrated one dimensional battering ram who squats when he takes a piss in you know who. All I want to see out of Napa is controlled aggression!!! As long as he plays within the leagues guide lines he should stay on the park.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With a player like Napa wearing our jersey there is always that chance that the refs will target him. Hopefully the refs will allow the game to flow and only intervene when they must and not when they think they should as per Graham Annesley directions. I think with Napa in the side we may have a true enforcer to lead our pack, not just a castrated one dimensional battering ram who squats when he takes a piss in you know who. All I want to see out of Napa is controlled aggression!!! As long as he plays within the leagues guide lines he should stay on the park.
Mate I think you will find with Annesley will be good for us indirectly. Not saying we will get any favors, but just remember Lynn and Graham are very good friends.
I think they were also on the same board together at the Titans. But I do know they have a great relationship.

Who knows this could be a relationship like the Ken Arthurson and Peter Moore one. Lynn is really a chip off the old block. Go the dogs!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the backline isn't a huge concern for me. If the forwards and halves can fire, all we need in the backs is players who can finish off tries. But everything needs to start with good service from your #9 and Lichaa hasn't seemed to think he's got to improve that aspect of his game so far which I take as a sign of arrogance. I think that maybe 5-6 games have been improved by his dummy half running since he arrived, but our forwards and halves have been under pressure since he took over from Ennis. I'd be happy for him to chase some glory with scoots from dummy half if it wasn't his only attribute, but he's a solid defender who occasionally exposes lazy marker defense. The rest of the time he's a liability.
I think the backline should be a concern for you, and the rest of us also.
The only players who have demonstrated any speed are Smith and Holland. The rest couldnt compete against a one toed sloth.
Hopefully, Meaney gets the number 1 jersey. That solves one problem. Crichton is an unknown for me, he may be OK.
But apparently he uses his bulk and not any speed. I just hope we sign a robust speedy centre.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the backline isn't a huge concern for me. If the forwards and halves can fire, all we need in the backs is players who can finish off tries. But everything needs to start with good service from your #9 and Lichaa hasn't seemed to think he's got to improve that aspect of his game so far which I take as a sign of arrogance. I think that maybe 5-6 games have been improved by his dummy half running since he arrived, but our forwards and halves have been under pressure since he took over from Ennis. I'd be happy for him to chase some glory with scoots from dummy half if it wasn't his only attribute, but he's a solid defender who occasionally exposes lazy marker defense. The rest of the time he's a liability.

Whatever

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only players who have demonstrated any speed are Smith and Holland. The rest couldnt compete against a one toed sloth.
Hopefully, Meaney gets the number 1 jersey. That solves one problem. Crichton is an unknown for me, he may be OK.
But apparently he uses his bulk and not any speed. I just hope we sign a robust speedy centre.

Jeez saying holland has speed shows how shit and slow our backline is!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I did say it's not a huge concern as opposed to no concern at all. The engine room and creativity need to be there before the backline becomes highly effective anyway. So given we're rebuilding, I think the foundations are more important than to spend up massively on backs. I can't recall us having any top tier speedsters aside from the Morris boys, Vagana and Brett Dallas for a long time. You can either succeed with genuine speed, but that requires great halves to put them in space mostly, other teams succeed with robust backs that have more ability to bulldoze the speedsters. Another genuinely quick guy we had who did jack all was Brett Howland. So speed isn't everything.

It's going to be interesting to see how we shape up next season, but like I've mentioned here and in other threads. If our dummy half service restricts our forwards ability to wind up on their runs, and reduces the decision making time of our halves, we could have clones of Usain Bolt from #1 through 5 and they're still going to get nullified pretty easily. It's all academic for now anyway. We as fans have no ability to change the squad, just support or deride them and I'll support them until they frustrate me in a big way.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres a lot written about Dylan Napa that is not necessarily true. As far as I can see, hes only been suspended the one time.
He offers a lot more than Klemmer, in that he has a step, he can break tackles, and has an offload. Surely that's a good sign.
And at his young age, he will only get better with coaching from another good forward in Dean Pay.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Speed kills and we got fk all speed

Speed and creativity is and has been our issue at least since 2015 yet we go buy props

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed kills and we got fk all speed

Speed and creativity is and has been our issue at least since 2015 yet we go buy props
Meanay and Smith are both very quick. Crichton is quiet quick as well i believe. Its just centres that are slow in our back 5. If you can recruit at least one quick centre then that will make 4 out of our back 5 as quick which isnt too bad.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meanay and Smith are both very quick. Crichton is quiet quick as well i believe. Its just centres that are slow in our back 5. If you can recruit at least one quick centre then that will make 4 out of our back 5 as quick which isnt too bad.
Smith is quick you are right

I just think we need an out and out speedster

Remember 2011/12 Barba and J Moz especially then Des went for the likes of Perrett, Brown, Thompson, Wright, Goodwin, et al

Solid but slow

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All three have slow acceleration and evasiveness. Chrichton is slow as hell

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree, don't know why they went out of their way to buy him.......Doesn't have the Bulldog DNA and lets not forget he has done exactly the same thing as Klemmer by getting out of his contract a year earlier......more about the money than the Club the way I read it......I do however have a lot of time for Renouf Tomaga and believe he'll be a star for us in the years to come.....some on here weren't to praiseworthy of his first grades stints thus far but they all have to start somewhere and the improvement he showed when dropped back to ISP was amazing......He was a standout for us in so many of those ISP matches last season and will only get better next year and there after......alongside RFM, who we sorely missed this season, Corey Harawira-Naera, Josh Jackson, Adam Elliott and Rhyse Martin we're looking fairly strong in the forwards but I'm of the opinion they'll need to keep these younger guys long term and let a player like Napa go before his contract is up......He's a solid player but has carry over points and is one infringement away from a long stint on the sidelines.......Poor signing for mine and hope he doesn't see out his contract.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Totally agree, don't know why they went out of their way to buy him.......Doesn't have the Bulldog DNA and lets not forget he has done exactly the same thing as Klemmer by getting out of his contract a year earlier......more about the money than the Club the way I read it......I do however have a lot of time for Renouf Tomaga and believe he'll be a star for us in the years to come.....some on here weren't to praiseworthy of his first grades stints thus far but they all have to start somewhere and the improvement he showed when dropped back to ISP was amazing......He was a standout for us in so many of those ISP matches last season and will only get better next year and there after......alongside RFM, who we sorely missed this season, Corey Harawira-Naera, Josh Jackson, Adam Elliott and Rhyse Martin we're looking fairly strong in the forwards but I'm of the opinion they'll need to keep these younger guys long term and let a player like Napa go before his contract is up......He's a solid player but has carry over points and is one infringement away from a long stint on the sidelines.......Poor signing for mine and hope he doesn't see out his contract.
I actually don’t think he’s bad signing considering who else was on the market at the time he is only 26 so as they would say he is going into his peak years as a front rower , I just think they will be harsher on him in Dogs jersey , look at graham or Ennis how they were treated when they were no longer playing for the dogs and when they played for us they were hammered all the time

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are some real snowflakes in here... Napa is one of few players of recent who would have looked right at home in our Dogs of War teams of the past... oh his going to get penalised, oh he's not going to turn up because he's not playing for the Roosters, oh he's going to be out for half the season, oh he's going to be treated differently because he's in the Dogs jersey and the whole NRL is conspiring against us... Give me a break! We've been to two grand finals in recent times and were dominated in both.... We NEED proper aggression to fire the team up... not sooks like Klemmer!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope what your saying is wrong, if Napa doesn't fire we will have salary cap $2m less than other teams, $1M wasted on Foran, paying for woods and Mbye around $200,000 each to play for other clubs, plus $600,000 for Napa if he doesn't fire up. If we keep doing that we will end up with more spoons than Parra and Newcastle combined.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually don’t think he’s bad signing considering who else was on the market at the time he is only 26 so as they would say he is going into his peak years as a front rower , I just think they will be harsher on him in Dogs jersey , look at graham or Ennis how they were treated when they were no longer playing for the dogs and when they played for us they were hammered all the time
Actually Ennis was a bit more contained at the Sharks as per coaches instructions. Graham was pretty calm this year at the Dragons for his standard also