Napa cleared for controversial hit on Sims

How many weeks would Napa hve been given if he played for the Bulldogs?

• None - it was a great hit

• 2-4

• 5-6

• 7+ (additional penalties for playing for the Bulldogs)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson labelled the decision to sin-bin Dylan Napa for using his head in a tackle on Korbin Sims as "a horrible call" and "a gross error".

Napa was sin-binned late with the scores locked 22-22 in Friday's game after his head made contact with Sims' head as he went in to make a tackle.

On Saturday the NRL Match Review Committee released a statement saying Napa would not be charged with any offence relating to the incident. There were no charges stemming from either of Friday's games.

Napa's collision with Sims forced the Broncos forward from the field.

Instead of a penalty to the Broncos, Robinson said the Roosters should have been awarded a scrum feed.

Minutes later Jamayne Isaako scored the winner for Brisbane with two minutes left on the clock.

"It was the wrong call, pretty simply,'' Robinson said.

''Obviously, it was a call from the bunker which was very disappointing.

"I've watched it quite a bit and Dylan was about to make the left shoulder tackle.

''Korbin sees he's about to make that left shoulder tackle, and is about to run into his left shoulder, so he steps off the right and rolls out ... and he contacts the back of Dylan Napa's head.

"It happens in our game and it is unfortunate for Korbin, but it's not a penalty or a sin-bin. It's a horrible call."

Robinson said officials had ruled Napa "intentionally went to knock him out with his head".

"It's just wrong," he said.

"It shouldn't have been a penalty. This happens all the time. It was accidental contact with the head and should have been a scrum to us with six minutes to go.

"It's no-one's fault. Dylan is going to be physical and you are allowed to be physical.

"There's other issues why we didn't win the game but that's a gross error and unacceptable at this level."

The match was a classic battle with none better than that between Roosters left centre Latrell Mitchell and Broncos right centre James Roberts.

Roberts got Brisbane back into the game with a 70m classic in the second half.

"Latrell had his measure in the first half and James had his measure in the second half. That's how it looked," Robinson said.

"It was a big play to get back to 22-all and well done to James. That was a high-quality play. He had to make everything of it and he did."

Leading 22-16, the Roosters appeared to have the momentum and be on their way to victory.

"We were in a good position there to finish off the game and we didn't finish it off," Robinson said.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
WAYNE Bennett has launched a savage attack on the NRL and Maroons enforcer Dylan Napa over the controversial tackle that has left Broncos prop Korbin Sims nursing a broken jaw.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Bennett has contacted the NRL to express his fury, slamming the league for failing to protect Sims, who underwent surgery on Saturday night in another crushing injury blow for the Broncos.

Bennett was supported by NRL legend and Maroons selector Darren Lockyer, who called for Queensland prop Napa to change his tackling style.

Sims will miss four to six weeks after his sickening collision with Napa which saw the Roosters hitman placed on report in Brisbane’s 28-22 victory last Friday night.

Napa was booked for leading with his head, but the NRL match-review committee did not charge him, clearing the prop to be named in the Queensland side next Monday for Origin I on June 6.

The decision has triggered outrage from Bennett, who lashed the NRL process and labelled Napa’s tackle “reckless” with no duty of care for Sims.

“Why hasn’t the game made Napa accountable,” Bennett fired.

“I know there will be a shitfight coming my way but I’m not backing away from it.

“I am not going to watch my players get broken jaws and remain silent.

“When you go before the judiciary, they will ask the player, ‘What was your duty of care?’

“Well ... where is Napa’s duty of care?

“Korbin has had to have surgery for a broken jaw because of Napa’s actions ... is this the look we want for our game?

“Napa could have been charged with a number of things. At its worst, it was reckless.

“This is the most ridiculous situation I have seen.”

Under a 22-page NRL laws-and-interpretations policy issued this season, there are eight ways in which a player can be found guilty of misconduct.

One such breach is “when affecting or attempting to affect a tackle (a player) makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly”.

This is what convinced NRL referee Gerard Sutton to place Napa on report. But the NRL match-review committee cleared Napa, alleging Sims’ change of direction was a factor in the collision.

“For the NRL to justify it by saying Sims changed direction is absolute nonsense,” Bennett said.

“Why are people blaming Korbin Sims?

“Korbin had every right under the rules to step and he probably saw Napa coming, so of course he is going to try and get out of the road.

“Tackle technique is about adjusting your tackle to the situation. If you don’t and you headhigh someone, you should pay a price.

“Napa was the solo-shooter coming out of the line. His arms were spread-eagled as wide as possible at time of contact. It’s an uncommon position.

“His head was intentionally pushed forward in front of his usual body position, so the only possible outcome was his head hitting Sims.

“He shot out of the line and planted his feet. The execution of the tackle was ordinary.

“Look at his attitude post-incident, Napa strutted around like a victor in a prized fight.

“There was no concern for his opponent.

Bennett claimed Napa’s tackle was much worse than Sam Thaiday’s finger-pull on Storm prop Jesse Bromwich last year which saw the Broncos veteran charged.

“There is a bias against the Broncos,” he said. “We won a game we weren’t supposed to win so that would have pissed off the Roosters even more.

“Last year, Sam pulled Jesse Bromwich’s finger. He was found guilty for contrary conduct.

“Are you telling me a finger pull is worse than Napa breaking Sims’ jaw with a reckless tackle?”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...w/news-story/e86b37d21c9336d4653cce46188c5504

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck off Wayne how much more of an advantage do you want from refs NRL is rigged towards news limited team Broncos & Storm.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck off Wayne how much more of an advantage do you want from refs NRL is rigged towards news limited team Broncos & Storm.
News Limited sold the Storm in 2013.

Great to see you are up to date with current events.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you feel this way then Wayne, then have Napa charged with assault. It's been done before (not for a long while though) refer Bugden tackle on Rogers as an example

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Two comments and your both criticising napa. Geez.
This was another broncos win at home under the refereeing of sutton. This is what you should be talking about. Yet again he found a way to make the broncos win. It was a fucking disgraceful call!!! There was nothing in it what so ever. Just a bloody good hit.
The refereeing in the NRL is diabolical at times. I wonder if trent will cop a $25k fine?? Given his comments are dar more difimative then Pays i expect the same punishment. I will be fucking livid if he gets away with it. Even if he is right.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Obvious he done that shit on purpose and was a dog act. Scummy ****

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It was a head clash. Sims saw Napa coming in for a big hit and tried to move out of the way but got his head instead. If anything the head clash was Sims fault, not Napas. I think Napa is a tool personally but he wasn't in the wrong on this occasion.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Two words Wayne.... MATT LODGE..

Old **** shouldn't throw stones in a glass house.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Guy is an absolute fool and certainly has form in relation to careless high tackles and shoulder charges amongst other things. Plays the big hitter but also pays the consequences...

I believe he had some carry over points after a Round 10 incident against the Warriors so any type of charge would have seen him rubbed out.

https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2018/05/13/judiciary-report--round-10/ ( two charges)

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/2548711/judiciary-lops-two-weeks-off-napa-ban/

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2016/03/14/roberts-charged-on-busy-day-for-judiciary/

Storm winger Marika Koroibete (dangerous throw), Cowboy Matt Scott (dangerous contact – head/neck) and Dylan Napa (high tackle) can all get off with early guilty pleas.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't put anything past that ugly twat Napa lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.