Naming Extended Benches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now this is starting to get out of hand.

Niel Henry has named an 8 man bench this week.

Interchange: Ray Thompson, Jason Taumalolo, Ashton Sims, Scott Bolton, Ethan Lowe, Michael Morgan, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Ricky Thorby (four to be omitted)

I mean honestly. What's the point? To boost some kids confidence? to keep opposition guessing?

How the hell are we supposed to pick a fantasy team when we don't know who is playing? Gosh

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1 extra player is fine but 4 is stupid. Maybe he has lost the plot!

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
I suspect its because they have some origin players looking to back up but they are playing at their home ground. Its not like they are playing in NZ and may need to rush players over last minute.

Coach must be shitting himself. Needs a win or two to get people off his back.

Big_Dawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's because he's unsure if the origin guys will play

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It's because he's unsure if the origin guys will play
Nail struck on the head.

Those additional four cover their origin players. Tate (Faifai Loa), Thurston (Morgan), Scott (Thorby), Tamou (Lowe).

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love how people take my threads so literally -_-

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's ok, he has 4 extra guys to replace his origin players while his bosses have 4 guys in line to replace him.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's ok, he has 4 extra guys to replace his origin players while his bosses have 4 guys in line to replace him.
I understand the reasoning behind it. Im sure every coach have players ready to cover the origin boys. Imagine if Brisbane did it back when they had 7 players in the SOO team, they would have named an 11 man bench!!!!!!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The reason they name them is, because they have players on SOO duty, the extended bench players will train in their potential replacements position for the week.

It's more about structure for training than anything else, so the team knows who they can expect if players pull out.

I think the most I have seen is about 9 on a bench

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The reason they name them is, because they have players on SOO duty, the extended bench players will train in their potential replacements position for the week.
So what you're saying is, if the coach doesn't name them on an extended bench then they cannot train in the squad?

What im getting at is it's purely novelty. There is no reason for them to be named on the bench. The coach will still speak to the players to let them know, they can still train their potential replacements position, and they can still be called into the squad if necessary. All without being named.

So to answer my own question, the only valid reason I can think for them to be named is to let the fans know who will potenitally replace their origin stars.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just think of the Big League publishers. This will throw out the whole magazine. They'll need ot add an extra page to accomodate. Then they'll need to fill that page with more content...WILL SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No

What I am saying is - players involved in SOO may not have anything to do with their club whilst they are in camp, and detached themselves to focus on their upcoming state match. So they name these particular players to TRAIN in those positions, and name them on the bench, so that players (not just the ones named) are familiar with roles around them.

I am not saying players OUTSIDE those named are going to play. Im simply saying that these are the players going to be used (generally first choice) in chase of injury, mishap or just fatigue of incumbents.

But in saying that, I think it does add some value to the players picked in those extended benches. To know your in the coaches mind may give you added benefit of competing for your spot.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No

What I am saying is - players involved in SOO may not have anything to do with their club whilst they are in camp, and detached themselves to focus on their upcoming state match. So they name these particular players to TRAIN in those positions, and name them on the bench, so that players (not just the ones named) are familiar with roles around them.

I am not saying players OUTSIDE those named are going to play. Im simply saying that these are the players going to be used (generally first choice) in chase of injury, mishap or just fatigue of incumbents.

But in saying that, I think it does add some value to the players picked in those extended benches. To know your in the coaches mind may give you added benefit of competing for your spot.
Lol yes I know what you're saying.

I was trying to use sarcasm.

I understand all that. All I am simply saying is, all that you have pointed out can still happen without the coach actually naming them on the bench.

To know your in the coaches mind may give you added benefit of competing for your spot
I think the coach telling them that they are a backup will have the same affect

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I love how people take my threads so literally -_-
We're just answering your question mate.

OP didn't exactly sound like it was a joke..

TheBarba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think its a ploy by any coach, they name the extended benches and see who they are coming up against in fantasy league.

If that side has JT in as captain (Real Coach) hooks him and throws Morgan into his team, whatever Morgan scores automatically puts him up with a distinct advantage. (Real Coach) Then has a chance at the $100 voucher at the chook shop this week!!! PEW PEW!

Status
Not open for further replies.