My take

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First and foremost, a win is a win and i enjoyed every second of it. I am still on a high from it.
But if we were to look at it objectively, it doesnt give me much hope.

We scored 1 try that should never have been awarded. There was clear obstruction.
Another off an intercept
Another where the ball bounced off 2 sets of legs where Hoppa picked it up and scored.

We looked awful with the ball IMO in the opposition 20. Players still not engaging the line.

On the flip side, the D picked up and the scramble was great.
Hopefully this gives everyone a little bit of confidence.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We are a work in progress. Rugby League has an element of luck in it.

You conveniently forget we had a few tries disallowed / held up too.

First try wasn't an obstruction as the same player paused and then attempted to make that tackle again (i.e they had ample time to defend, and did so poorly).
Second try was Cleary throwing a ball, that, if it met it's intended target was a Panthers try.
Third try, if it didn't hit legs, Hoppa picks it up and scores regardless.

Lets not forget too that Mansour scored a try when he SHOULD have been binned for a professional foul.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We also had a try from DH disallowed as an obstruction (rarely happens IMO) and missed more goals than I ever like to see our team miss. Like you I'm glad we won though. But to me it does add to my hope. We're still a long way from what I think will be our best and we snared the win by capitalizing on some luck. It was a little worrying that we let them back into the game but I'll happily take the two points. A win is a win and it's easier to stay in contention if we don't let any team jump out six points on the ladder.

We'll hopefully improve as the year goes on, but for now any win makes me happy.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I cant work out if we have the best or the worst fans in the NRL??????!!!!!! On one hand we are extremely passionate, expect the best, and support our team loud and proud. But on the other hand we are incredibly critical, love a player one day and hate them the next, fail to support our team when the chips are down, show our players and coach very little respect at times, and more often then not carry on like spoilt entitled pricks when we lose.
Today was a solid win. Sure it wasnt perfect, but at least we didnt win a game by kicking 4 goals and a field goal. Enjoy the win and stop being so critical. Support the team and be patient while knowing we can be much better.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our lack of creativity in the second half when they were missing their halfback was a worry

Good to win

We still have alot to work on

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are a work in progress. Rugby League has an element of luck in it.

You conveniently forget we had a few tries disallowed / held up too.

First try wasn't an obstruction as the same player paused and then attempted to make that tackle again (i.e they had ample time to defend, and did so poorly).
Second try was Cleary throwing a ball, that, if it met it's intended target was a Panthers try.
Third try, if it didn't hit legs, Hoppa picks it up and scores regardless.

Lets not forget too that Mansour scored a try when he SHOULD have been binned for a professional foul.
I watched the endless replays of that try, and the obstructed player did not have his eyes on the ball carrier when he committed. As you say, there was a hold down when we made a break that should have seen a Penrith player binned; and Maloney constantly ran the ball behind a forward when setting up their sideline attack.

We've been owed a large amount of refereeing decisions, penalties in our favour, and good luck for some time - and I'll happily take it when it comes our way.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My take is that the morning after a win is indescribable

To the game

First half we fired our bullets

Second half gun back in holster

We played NOT to lose in the second half which is not a good trait to have but we got away with it

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
First and foremost, a win is a win and i enjoyed every second of it. I am still on a high from it.
But if we were to look at it objectively, it doesnt give me much hope.

We scored 1 try that should never have been awarded. There was clear obstruction.
Another off an intercept
Another where the ball bounced off 2 sets of legs where Hoppa picked it up and scored.

We looked awful with the ball IMO in the opposition 20. Players still not engaging the line.

On the flip side, the D picked up and the scramble was great.
Hopefully this gives everyone a little bit of confidence.
Well obstruction is a lottery we had 2 disallowed in the first 2 rounds.

Melbourne scores a intercept try Which changed the game for us, plus they had a couple try bounce there way .

If your going to say that we fluked a win then Melbourne and the roosters fluked there wins against us.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point is, we only scored 1 try that was well constructed.
Something you would train for.
Panthers scored 3 well constructed tries.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we are going to apply this 'we scored lucky tries' theory then think about a few of those tries Melbourne scored first round. The simple fact is that we won and thats all there is to it.

Also, players not enaging the line? Please watch Foran more closely next game.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe the boys won because Frawley wasn't their to deliver a few try assists to the opponents!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The first try was a terrible ruling, it's a clear obstruction. If an attacker obstructs the defender then it's an obstruction, shouldn't matter if it was inside or outside shoulder. The NRL just loves making things much harder than they should have been. Moses still probably scores as it's only Maloney.

The intercept was great defensive play from Josh and he was rewarded with a try for it. The Hoppa try was scrappy and Moses' final try waa just a well run try.

In the end we came up with 4 tries without being overly efficient with the ball and executing plays. It needs plenty of improvement, but it's also good to be able to scrap a few tries here and there.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The first try was a terrible ruling, it's a clear obstruction. If an attacker obstructs the defender then it's an obstruction, shouldn't matter if it was inside or outside shoulder. The NRL just loves making things much harder than they should have been. Moses still probably scores as it's only Maloney.

The intercept was great defensive play from Josh and he was rewarded with a try for it. The Hoppa try was scrappy and Moses' final try waa just a well run try.

In the end we came up with 4 tries without being overly efficient with the ball and executing plays. It needs plenty of improvement, but it's also good to be able to scrap a few tries here and there.

That Josh Morris try was an absolute fluke, watch it again, he let the Penrith forward get on the outside of him, and if pass was good it would have been a possible Penrith try, but lucky for Bmoz who had outstretched arms after missing tackle and eyes closed, found the ball in his hands... It was pure fluke but i will take it. It was our day to finally get the rub of the green when it came to calls by refs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just watched it again J Moz anticipates the intercept

Watch it again and again and again if you don’t believe me

The ‘fluke’ was probably how he caught it but his intentions were definitely for the interception

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That Josh Morris try was an absolute fluke, watch it again, he let the Penrith forward get on the outside of him, and if pass was good it would have been a possible Penrith try, but lucky for Bmoz who had outstretched arms after missing tackle and eyes closed, found the ball in his hands... It was pure fluke but i will take it. It was our day to finally get the rub of the green when it came to calls by refs
The intercept was fluke but i would say it was more of a reward for good defensive play. Penrith should have scored there but Josh got himself into a position that put pressure on Cleary and as a result he messed up the pass. Put it this way, if that was on our other edge Penrith are without a doubt scoring there lol.

Here's a link to it.
There's still plenty of pace in those https://t.co/Q6XqUXIAuC

Status
Not open for further replies.