News My Dogs no longer sleeping

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly think Jacksons only position in the starting line up now is Lock. Not to play 80 mins either, its great courage, fitness and guts to play 80 mins but is it what's best for the team?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
100%.. the lack of support play the last few years was nothing short of disgusting.. it started towards the end of Haslers tenure and ended with Pay (hopefully).. for a team that struggled to score points, it was criminal how many half chances were wasted..
P.s I seen Flanno support well on a few occasions last year also..so fingers crossed that problem is eradicated .
with Averillo used as a running/link 5/8 he should also be pushing up and backing up the play. what i read from the interview is that we are looking at a very attacking structure which is exciting.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The problem is he is going to be in the starting side no matter what happens and if it's a choice between lock or second row I'd prefer him at lock.

I wasn't really fussed if we re-signed him the last time he came off contract but we really should have bit the bullet and moved on.
Yea he's our captain and signed until 2023 so i can't see them dropping him. I don't think he's particularly bad, just his age really showed last year and he's still only 30 so whats it gonna be like for the next 3 years. He's been a loyal servant so I'll never outright bag him
I'm hoping Baz doesn't use Jacko as an 80 minute workhorse at lock, but rather as someone who can stiffen the middle defence significantly for a couple of 25-30 minute stints - like in that SOO game where he played lock and won MoM despite only playing about 40 mins. Even when he plays on the edge his best runs come when he drifts infield and I'm confident he can still add something there.

It would be great as you say to have a Radley or Murray with more attacking variety, but I think Jacko will pleasantly surprise us at lock providing Baz looks for quality rather than quantity from him.
Potentially, but the downside to that idea is 1) He'd probably want his captain out there on the field for the full 80 and 2) that origin game was 4 years ago, since then there's been kms added on his body and it shows. Plus even in that game he made 64 metres from 9 runs , 24 tackles in a 49 minute stint. Decent numbers for origin but nothing special really. The only top level 'workman' type lock left in the game is Dale Finucane, and he's got the benefit of being in the Melbourne Storm.

It's interesting watching the lock position continuously evolve and go through cycles in rugby league. The late 1990s to early 2000s, the top level lock was the ball playing locks/ second five eight such as Dymock, Timmins, Croker before the late 2000s moved towards the tackling workhorses like Johnson, Stagg, Parker etc. Early 2010s moved towards having another front rower in lock like Gallen, Taumololo, Burgess. With the rule changes, I believe the lock position now is as versatile as ever, with different types of locks being effective depending on the team's style. All in all though I think Cameron Murray defines the ideal lock for the modern game: light footed, pacey, great support play and extremely quick play the balls. Plus he has the fitness and durability to play the full 80.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the line of question regarding Corey Allen that Baz attempted to side-step?

What are you expecting Corey Allan to bring at fullback?

It might be a simple question to some, but it is very loaded. The interviewer asks it in this particular manner, as he or she comes in with an assumption that Allan will be the fullback - which has never been stated by TBAZ or anyone else as true. So, this question has 2 purposes, with the phraseology of the question (the expectation of Corey) being truly the secondary motivation for the question, with the primary motivator being to confirm they he will be the fullback. A little sneaky...

TBaz replied smartly - brought in Meaney as an option, but then dropped Allan as an out and out fullback. He did not even mention Hopoate, so I think it all but confirms that Hoppa will be playing centre for us, and that Allan is the fullback.

Conversely, it could be all smoke and mirrors for Averillo to take the number 1.
In regards to the last part I think the days of smoke and mirrors by coaches died along with coaching styles of people like Des Hasler and Brian Smith. If you fool a team in round 1 they know what you're doing by round 2.

I'd be pretty comfortable in Allen starting at fullback and Averillo being the front runner for the 5/8 from what he said (and I hope that's what happens).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Round 1 team, check back in 40 odd days and see how right I was ;)

1. Allan
2. Cotric
3. Averillo
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Waddell
9. JMK
10. Hetherington
11. Elliott
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. Wakeham
15. Napa
16. Atoni
17. Stimson

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100%.. the lack of support play the last few years was nothing short of disgusting.. it started towards the end of Haslers tenure and ended with Pay (hopefully).. for a team that struggled to score points, it was criminal how many half chances were wasted..
P.s I seen Flanno support well on a few occasions last year also..so fingers crossed that problem is eradicated .
Flanno follows the ball well as a good halfback should.
Has scored a few tries off the back of good support play and being in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: GDR

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

1. Allan
2. Cotric
3. Averillo
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Waddell
9. JMK
10. Hetherington
11. Elliott
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. Wakeham
15. Napa
16. Atoni
17. Stimson
I’d be pretty happy if that’s the team. It’s probably the best we can hope for with what we have. I dunno about Waddell at prop though but we are skinny there without Thompson.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Allan
2. Cotric
3. Averillo
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Waddell
9. JMK
10. Hetherington
11. Elliott
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. Wakeham
15. Napa
16. Atoni
17. Stimson
I like this.
Would only change Cotric to Centre, Avo to 14 and Wakeham to reggies.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's interesting watching the lock position continuously evolve and go through cycles in rugby league. The late 1990s to early 2000s, the top level lock was the ball playing locks/ second five eight such as Dymock, Timmins, Croker before the late 2000s moved towards the tackling workhorses like Johnson, Stagg, Parker etc. Early 2010s moved towards having another front rower in lock like Gallen, Taumololo, Burgess. With the rule changes, I believe the lock position now is as versatile as ever, with different types of locks being effective depending on the team's style. All in all though I think Cameron Murray defines the ideal lock for the modern game: light footed, pacey, great support play and extremely quick play the balls. Plus he has the fitness and durability to play the full 80.
This is true, a lot of the recent adaptations to the Lock position though have come from rule changes (Ie. 6 again) which brings Cam Murray in to the game a lot more. Cowboys locked Taumalolo up for 10 years before these rule changes, so while he is still a freak, they don't suit him as much.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Waddell starting at prop lol. I’ll eat my hat and walk to belmore naked if that happens.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d be pretty happy if that’s the team. It’s probably the best we can hope for with what we have. I dunno about Waddell at prop though but we are skinny there without Thompson.
I feel like Baz will push him into the starting 13 because he brought him over...or Napa just starts.

Reactions: GDR

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd like to see Jacko transition to lock. Drop his minutes and he can help control the ruck in the middle. Then it gives the young recruits an opportunity on the edge/ in the middle when he gets a breather. He's won Blues player of the series playing 13 and it helps to keep things simple for him as his speed game has regressed.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

1. Allan
2. Cotric
3. Averillo
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Waddell
9. JMK
10. Hetherington
11. Elliott
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. Wakeham
15. Napa
16. Atoni
17. Stimson
waddell cant play prop

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That reads to me that our right edge will be Flanno, Elliot, Cotric, Meaney/Katoa. Pretty decent tbh

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Some interesting stuff there. For me JAC is coming to play wing, I think Allen is locked into fullback.

I’m worried where Avo will end up in 22 but the positive is he seems like the front runner this year with no mention of Lewis.

The hard part will be keeping the young group together under the salary cap if they improve alot.
We will lose him eventually imo... Kid said he wants to play in spine, it's fullback or nothing here and with Allan signing... He's gone once he's established

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Potential to push RFM up front and start Waddell on the left?
That's really what should happen while Thompson is suspended, no brainer imo