The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The Gold Coast University Hospital.

Thanks for all the other info.

Also thanks for all the thoughts from other members here.

Got a call from the cardiologist's receptionist this afternoon, saying the referral letter has been sent & I should get a letter from the hospital soon to let me know what category I am. (I sound like a cyclone)
Ahh the Uni Hospital, I have to inform them when I'm up at GC.

Try not to over think things sis, we can be our worst enemy sometimes.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're unwell Kaz but I don't think you are being put at risk because you don't have private insurance, you'll be assessed on medical needs. Private insurance tends to give you leverage only for non life threatening surgery.

Im not too sure but I don't think mitral valve surgery is considered risky surgery in the scheme of things, but in any case I can understand your concern. Try to come on the kennel more often to get your mind off it till the day.. All the best

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Heart problems either minor or severe or very nerve rattling coz once the heart is fkd that is it. I Wish it was like the liver where it can self regenerate.
Are you overweight or something? Or is this purely a genetic thing or just bad luck/life choices?

Last edited:

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@Realist90

I was born with heart problems.

Though they weren't picked up until I was older.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
That must have been a real shock and I sm sure you are feeling pretty scared, but I think you’ll be fine. It’s amazing how resilient people can be when they get their head around a problem. Fight the good fight and you’ll be ok. Keep us posted and let us know what you learn during your April appointment.

You’ll find plenty of support here if you need it.

Hugs and very best wishes.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Just got a call from the hospital.

Have an appointment, with the surgeon on Thursday 14th March.

So I will find out all the details then.
Keep us updated sis

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How you travelling sis?
Not bad.

If I have a gut ache etc, I am googling to see if it's connected to my heart etc. haha

Dr Google & me are now firm friends.

I am trying not to worry.

My appointment is at 9am on the 14th, so that means heaps of people will have the same appointment time, so I have to get there early & hopefully I am one of the first to be seen.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not bad.

If I have a gut ache etc, I am googling to see if it's connected to my heart etc. haha

My appointment is at 9am on the 14th, so that means heaps of people will have the same appointment time, so I have to get there early & hopefully I am one of the first to be seen.
Hang tough and remember we are here if you need us.

PS Dr Google is a wanker lol

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not bad.

Never dr Google on a very rare occasion it can help but more than likely not,according to dr Google ive had brain cancer,testicular cancer, ass cancer , heart disease heart attack, stroke , seizures but surprisingly not aids , turns out its all anxiety for me till a real heart attacks comes and i ignore it ,and the **** kills me .
So say no to dr Google

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Never dr Google on a very rare occasion it can help but more than likely not,according to dr Google ive had brain cancer,testicular cancer, ass cancer , heart disease heart attack, stroke , seizures
That's me on a good Dr Google day. hehe

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Never dr Google on a very rare occasion it can help but more than likely not,according to dr Google ive had brain cancer,testicular cancer, ass cancer , heart disease heart attack, stroke , seizures but surprisingly not aids , turns out its all anxiety for me till a real heart attacks comes and i ignore it ,and the **** kills me .
So say no to dr Google
Yarr. It's called "first year med student syndrome"

You learn about it in psychology. First year med students start learning about different conditions and diseases and start diagnosing themselves with those conditions and diseases.

"this says that a symptom of cancer is being lethargic. I'm always tired. I must have cancer"

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No date given for when the op will be. Have to have an angiogram.

I have to think which value to use if needed. Either a biological or metal.

He said he will try to repair the value, if not it's a replacement. He said it was open heart either way.

Op would take 4 hours.

If a biological valve is used, it should last 15 years, if metal one is used, it will last until I die.

Also with the metal one, I will hear it when the heart is beating, but will get used to it.

The biological one is from a cow. People have called me a cow before, so it seems the right type for me. hehe.

Lucky I'm not a vegan, or I wouldn't have a choice in which one to pick. haha

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck Kaz.

I woke up with chest pains last week and eventually ended up in emergency last Friday. Turns out I have a condition called Pericarditis. Theoretically it's towards the lower end of heart conditions and should actually disappear after this course of anti-inflammatory tablets. Although it can be dangerous if fluid gets into my heart.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
No date given for when the op will be. Have to have an angiogram.

I have to think which value to use if needed. Either a biological or metal.

He said he will try to repair the value, if not it's a replacement. He said it was open heart either way.

Op would take 4 hours.

If a biological valve is used, it should last 15 years, if metal one is used, it will last until I die.

Also with the metal one, I will hear it when the heart is beating, but will get used to it.

The biological one is from a cow. People have called me a cow before, so it seems the right type for me. hehe.

Lucky I'm not a vegan, or I wouldn't have a choice in which one to pick. haha
Good luck sis, I have no doubt you will cruise through it.

PS you may even end up with human valves if your lucky.

PPS hopefully they do your angio through your wrist rather than your groin.