MY BLOODS BOILING! Why are blokes buying utes when they don't need em?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I've always thought that a twin cab ute is the perfect Aussie family car. Got room for the kids, with the comfort of a sedan. Enough room in the back for everything you need; and enough clearance to get to most places off the sealed road.
Only problem is they're a lot more expensive than a sedan, and more expensive to run. But they make more sense than the urban assault vehicles most people drive the kids to school in.
Urban assault vehicles... you mean SUV’s?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You cant rent a house and not have a ute. For example the first thing you do when you move into a new rental is rip out all the carpet to give to your mates for the garage floors. They can never afford to rent houses bigger than 3 bedroom and they always have at least 1 or 2 extended family member's living in the garage. Def need a ute for these tasks. You can only bury so many engines in the backyard so eventualy you'll need a ute to dump them down at the local park anyways.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cant rent a house and not have a ute. For example the first thing you do when you move into a new rental is rip out all the carpet to give to your mates for the garage floors. They can never afford to rent houses bigger than 3 bedroom and they always have at least 1 or 2 extended family member's living in the garage. Def need a ute for these tasks. You can only bury so many engines in the backyard so eventualy you'll need a ute to dump them down at the local park anyways.
I'd love to see a stat on that. How many renters have either a ute or a trailor to shift their belongings.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I used to own a ute. I mainly wanted a Ute when I was younger so all my friends didn’t use me as a taxi.
Also I did use it to move out a few renters from one property to another.

I did also use it to haul materials for jobs so it did get a bit of a workout.
I was going to get it converted with a tipper tray.
I had aspirations of being a chain smoking sand and soil tipper!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Utes are beaut.. the end.
Also have an SS can vouch for the mattress fitting in one.
And you don't get stuck carting ***** around because you only have a 2 seats!..so fuck the ute haters i don't use mine for work never will but I love mine to bits :tearsofjoy:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who's blood is boiling? When I see blokes buying utes that don't need em, don't it fire you up? I just want to walk over and give em an uppercut out of nowhere.

So many guys are doing it, buying ford/Holden falcon commodore utes or most recently Hilux or ranger.

But they never use em, not for work, not on the weekend, never. Just basically a 2 door car with a perception they are a tradie? I'd bet their employer is not listing their car as a commercial vehicle for fbt.

Most of em go to work in a van, or drive the ute to work and just park it in the parking lot.

The ute is the modern day suit case, people that carry one usually just have their lunch in it. But carry on like they are on the way to a big business meeting. I worked with a guy once who didn't have to take papers out of the office, carry his brief case in and out every day. Just had an apple in it I suspect.

What do they put on the back of the ute? Why do they buy em? Who are they trying to fool?

We should have a day in March when you are allowed to uppercut blokes who have utes but don't ever use them for work.
You obviously have too much time on your hands. If I want a Ute I’ll buy a Ute and don’t need to justify it to anybody but my wife on why I spent so much on a new car.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bury them? You just let the grass grow over them, and mark where they are with a shopping trolley.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh okay only tradies can have utes.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I should use a BMW to pull a boat from now on instead of a ute.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My daily is a 2010 Stx Nissan navara 4x4 6 speed manual, goes real nice , lots of power from the 2.5litre turbo.. and yet you got these guys who buy them an lower them etc.. they are a utility vehicle.. now that shit boils my blood lol.!!

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not against utes only when people buy em with no need or use for them.

Have a look at a ranger or Hilux, they are good at moving cargo but compared to a car, rate very poorly

They are way off the pace with comfort, built like a tin can interior, slow performance and wobbly handling. Plus they cost plenty.

What makes my blood boil is people buy them to use as a car rather than moving cargo or carry work equipment.

Even a new Camry would belt a ranger or Hilux in every measurable way except moving cargo. (Which noone ever does)

Last edited:

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those twin cab utes are a bigger scam than the normal utes. Basically a tin can inside, the rear is always tiny , no luxury features and they cost like a luxury car.. drive like a boat too, slow acceleration and Roly poly handling

Why do people do it?
If ya guna wind people up atleast ask questions decent questions lol

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
My 2004 Hilux Tipper is still going strong. Can’t kill the old girl. I don’t use it to haul stuff these days but boy did she put in the hard yards..
Ever see the top gear episode where they tried to kill a hilux? Did everything to it to try and kill it including demolishing a 20 story building with it on the roof. And it still started after they dug it out of the rubble. They even set fire to it and it lived. They decided you cannot kill a hilux.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
I'm not against utes only when people buy em with no need or use for them.

Have a look at a ranger or Hilux, they are good at moving cargo but compared to a car, rate very poorly

They are way off the pace with comfort, built like a tin can interior, slow performance and wobbly handling. Plus they cost plenty.

What makes my blood boil is people buy them to use as a car rather than moving cargo or carry work equipment.

Even a new Camry would belt a ranger or Hilux in every measurable way except moving cargo. (Which noone ever does)
Is it ok if I buy a Toyota Tundrazine then?

1609458055479.png

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
ive had an xr6 ute, and now have a xr6 sedan. The ute was faster (lighter) and the ass end was ridiculous when empty. Wagged like an excited dog. It was fun but scary at times. The sedan handles a lot better.

Not so fussed about people buying utes and not being a tradie, but what about all the people buying a 4wd who never leave the bitumen? Paying more money for a vehicle that is slower, a less comfortable ride, is a lot less fuel efficient, and rolls easier.

Wahesh

Reaction score
ive had an xr6 ute, and now have a xr6 sedan. The ute was faster (lighter) and the ass end was ridiculous when empty. Wagged like an excited dog. It was fun but scary at times. The sedan handles a lot better.

Not so fussed about people buying utes and not being a tradie, but what about all the people buying a 4wd who never leave the bitumen? Paying more money for a vehicle that is slower, a less comfortable ride, is a lot less fuel efficient, and rolls easier.
I'm a drive in a drive away guy. It'll take 2 parking spaces at Bunnings, but that's ok.