Music thread

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I wish I seen Buckley. Its a shame he didnt live long enough to release more material. I listen to grace every 6 months or so but I need to be in the mood for it.
We were spoiled with many good bands touring here during the 90's.
You didn’t get his ‘almost finished’ follow up album? It’s called ‘Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk’. Was going to be called ‘My Sweetheart The Drunk’ and his mum added the ‘Sketches’ bit when they released it after he died because it wasn’t finished, but it’s better than a demo. It’s likely online. Not the cracker Grace was and Jeff wanted chunks of it re-worked and that’s why the band relocated to Memphis - which is where he drowned. The highlight track is probably ‘Everybody Here Wants You’ but there’s other good ones like ‘You and I’ and ‘The Sky Is A Landfill’. I agree his music requires a certain mood but I’ll never forget at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney just him and his guitar and a spotlight doing Hallelujah, you could hear a pin drop. Bloody mesmerising. ‘Last Goodbye’ remains one of my favourite songs to this day.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You didn’t get his ‘almost finished’ follow up album? It’s called ‘Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk’. Was going to be called ‘My Sweetheart The Drunk’ and his mum added the ‘Sketches’ bit when they released it after he died because it wasn’t finished, but it’s better than a demo. It’s likely online. Not the cracker Grace was and Jeff wanted chunks of it re-worked and that’s why the band relocated to Memphis - which is where he drowned. The highlight track is probably ‘Everybody Here Wants You’ but there’s other good ones like ‘You and I’ and ‘The Sky Is A Landfill’. I agree his music requires a certain mood but I’ll never forget at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney just him and his guitar and a spotlight doing Hallelujah, you could hear a pin drop. Bloody mesmerising. ‘Last Goodbye’ remains one of my favourite songs to this day.
You lucky buggar, would have been special to see.
I have 'Sketches' somewhere in this bloody house. The production on ‘Everybody Here Wants You’ is unreal.

The drummer on Grace blows me away. Lover you should've come over, nails it.

Its certainly an acquired taste, my wife cant stand him but what would she know:tearsofjoy:.

Its rare that such a talent comes along, Chris Cornell, Amy Winehouse are two others that come to mind, (not that I listen to her).
Grace is just one of those albums. Who knows where or how he may have evolved musically. He certainly set the bar high, as you said he wasnt happy with Sketches. A true musical artist.
Anyways he's gone and thats life:grinning:.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nerd alert: I had the ad for Buckley’s return show at Selina’s (also saw him at the Enmore) on the back of Drum Media mounted along with the ticket. Note you had to call for tickets then, no interwebs. And $35!! :-).
View attachment 30610
Being from Brisbane, I only saw a handful of gigs at Selinas, but fmd, what a great venue. Shame it seems its days are numbered. Not surprising though. Live music is basically fucked in this country.

btw, Grace is a great album.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Being from Brisbane, I only saw a handful of gigs at Selinas, but fmd, what a great venue. Shame it seems its days are numbered. Not surprising though. Live music is basically fucked in this country.

btw, Grace is a great album.

I’ve seen some great gigs there over the years apart from Buckley. Hunters and Collectors and INXS spring to mind. But yeah, it’s a different world now - pub rock died long ago and young people don’t drink (as much) and those venues can no longer sustain. Multi-million dollar apartments seem an attractive exit strategy.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You lucky buggar, would have been special to see.
I have 'Sketches' somewhere in this bloody house. The production on ‘Everybody Here Wants You’ is unreal.

The drummer on Grace blows me away. Lover you should've come over, nails it.

Its certainly an acquired taste, my wife cant stand him but what would she know:tearsofjoy:.

Its rare that such a talent comes along, Chris Cornell, Amy Winehouse are two others that come to mind, (not that I listen to her).
Grace is just one of those albums. Who knows where or how he may have evolved musically. He certainly set the bar high, as you said he wasnt happy with Sketches. A true musical artist.
Anyways he's gone and thats life:grinning:.
Yeah I’ve heard people say he sounds like a whinger and it’s too soppy etc. Pfffft :-).

Yep, one of those rare talents gone too soon: Cobain, Cornell, Hendrix, Burton, Joplin, the list goes on…

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On this day in 1980, the mighty John Bonham passed away at just 32 years old. One of the all time greats.

rs-15636-20140619-bonzo-x1800-1403191984.jpg

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ministry of Sound 2022 album is not too bad.

Probably a step down from '21, but got some very decent tracks.

Would recommend