News Moylan re-signs with Sharks for 2022

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Cronulla five-eighth Matt Moylan will stay at the Sharks for the 2022 NRL season after signing a one-year contract extension.

Moylan, who joined the Sharks in 2018 from Penrith, said playing under new coach Craig Fitzgibbon next year was a key part of extending his time with the club.

"I've had a few chats to Fitzy and I look forward to working with him, Josh (Hannay) and the coaching staff next year," Moylan said.

"I'm confident they can make me a better player on the field and help with my development off it as well."

The 30-year-old who played three State of Origins for NSW while at the Panthers as well as one Test for Australia before moving to the Sharks, has largely erased two injury-plagued years to feature in 12 of 14 games in 2021.

Nonetheless his one-year deal reportedly includes a massive pay cut from his current $850,000 a year salary.

Interim Sharks coach Josh Hannay said despite a calf problem currently sidelining Moylan, overcoming his previous reliability issues had played a big role in him being offered a new deal.

"Matt has been one of our better performers this season and although injured at the moment, he's shown a greater durability than in previous years," Hannay said.

"I put this down to Matt having a stronger focus and dedication to his preparation and if he continues to focus on these parts of his game, coupled with his undoubted talent, I believe his best is still to come."

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont get why they keep Moylan ahead of Johnson..
A choice between a never really was versus a perpetually overrated. Hynes is there marquee for next year, Fitzy will give Moylan 1 season to produce something or it's the ESL for him.