Moving to Northern Territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickT

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bro stop at the Barkley Homestead.
Great feed (Bit expensive but great).
The cabins are ok but the campground out the back is great. We stayed there in summer a couple years back. Real chilled joint.

NickT

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Also another good spot is the Mary Kathleen. About 80k east of Mt Isa.
No one there but super quiet, peaceful and there are all the cleared concrete pads from the miners humpies on which you can set up a tent. Few heads of cattle will keep you company trough the night.
Remember it's summer and everywhere is hot until around 6:00 so you may not be impressed if you rock up at 3:00

NickT

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are moving to the territory bro. I live in Darwin. Adventure land for the boys. Pretty boring for the girls.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are moving to the territory bro. I live in Darwin. Adventure land for the boys. Pretty boring for the girls.
Lol i remember getting into darwin asking where the city center was apparently i was in it. I thought i might of been on an outer suburb or something. Fuck theres some hot long stretches of road thru the territory .you really get a good perspective how fucking big this country is when you go though the territory

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Brother your a machine, we will definitely be checking out this route. Movie world is my preferred stop as well and I have planned for for long driving days, young bloke keen to get some time in on the switch,guess he will be sicknod it before we leave N.s.w.
Movie World = Green Lantern and Supermans Revenge. Theres also the rehashed Lethal Weapon (which is now a 3D coaster), and the brand spanking new DC Rivals Hypercoaster (opened October 2017). Scooby Doo Spooky coaster despite being pulled patially apart for renos, is still a fantastic ride for all ages. Log ride is gone. Lots of kids rides there too.

I wouldn't bother with the Stunt Show (it's pretty shit and pretty much a V8 ute doing figure 8s), but kids will love the parade. 4D cinema is worth a look too.

Sea World there wasn't enough to keep us busy for that long. Only 2 rides for adults, and once you've done it once, it's not worth revisiting (although you can get a pass which covers both Move World and Sea World anyway).

Purling Brook Falls is quite steep getting down but you'll be rewarded at the base. Access it from the Goomoolahra Picnic Area (from memory). It's something surreal and special. Canyon Lookout you can access Twin Falls as well with a short walk (it wasnt running when we went there but Blackfellow Falls was). The Best of All Lookout has a 10-15 minute return walk to access the lookout. All these places are free (ditto Hinze Dam).

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Movie World = Green Lantern and Supermans Revenge. Theres also the rehashed Lethal Weapon (which is now a 3D coaster), and the brand spanking new DC Rivals Hypercoaster (opened October 2017). Scooby Doo Spooky coaster despite being pulled patially apart for renos, is still a fantastic ride for all ages. Log ride is gone. Lots of kids rides there too.

I wouldn't bother with the Stunt Show (it's pretty shit and pretty much a V8 ute doing figure 8s), but kids will love the parade. 4D cinema is worth a look too.

Sea World there wasn't enough to keep us busy for that long. Only 2 rides for adults, and once you've done it once, it's not worth revisiting (although you can get a pass which covers both Move World and Sea World anyway).

Purling Brook Falls is quite steep getting down but you'll be rewarded at the base. Access it from the Goomoolahra Picnic Area (from memory). It's something surreal and special. Canyon Lookout you can access Twin Falls as well with a short walk (it wasnt running when we went there but Blackfellow Falls was). The Best of All Lookout has a 10-15 minute return walk to access the lookout. All these places are free (ditto Hinze Dam).
The non racist, PC term is Dindu Nuffin Falls.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And camooweal on qld nt border lol fuck me just look at that **** of a town in your review mirror
Stayed at Camooweal in march on our way to king ash bay, great little pub! Great publican

Our shortest drive was 12 hrs I think, but punched it out in 2 and a half days! Bit over 3000kms
Orange to king ash

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bro stop at the Barkley Homestead.
Great feed (Bit expensive but great).
The cabins are ok but the campground out the back is great. We stayed there in summer a couple years back. Real chilled joint.
Hey brother stopped at the barkley homestead for lunch today, gotta say food was awesome and yeah pricey but the thing that got me was this old fart starring at me for about 20 minutes, I asked him what was the matter? He replied whats that shirt your wearing? I told him it's the bulldogs training shirt, he replied we don't get many of your type out here.... So before I lost my shit my wife asked him what's this type your talking about? This redneck leather handbag looking mother fucker said wogs...... Long story shortish staying in Tennant Creek tonight and can i say FUCK ME WHAT A **** OF A PLACE

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
One last thing going to need a new name I was thinking Lebanese Dundee, thoughts.
Crocodile was his nickname, Dundee was his name.

So if you are looking at that theme it makes more sense to be crocodile Lebanese

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Crocodile was his nickname, Dundee was his name.

So if you are looking at that theme it makes more sense to be crocodile Lebanese
Also you sure you want to make this move?

NT is too hot to wear adidas tracksuits.

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Okay so you are talking 8 days in total. Some LONG drives required.

I'd say 6-8 hrs in a car max a day. Without STOPS.

So you'll need to be quite selective on what / where you visit as you really only have 2-3 days.

Example:
Day 1 - Syd to Grafton (7 hrs drive). Fill up with fuel at Grafton. Places to stay on highway.
Day 2 - Grafton to Springbrook / Advancetown (3hrs 30 minutes via Highway then inland and over border at Murwillumbah). That will give you time to check out Natural Bridge on the way (takes about an hour), Hinze Dam, and possibly Purling Brook Falls (it's worth seeing). You could possibly cram in The Best of All Lookout and Canyon Lookout as well (as they are a short walk from car parks). Canyon is right on the carpark. Stay overnight either in Advancetown (Cedar Lakes Resort worth a look). Fill up at Murwillumbah as nearest fuel is otherwise at Nerang.
Day 3 - Check out Sea World, and either Movie World or Dreamworld (I prefer Movie World). Staying overnight at Advancetown is only 20-30 minutes drive away from theme parks.
Day 4 - Advancetown QLD to Roma QLD (6 hours 14 mins drive). Overnight in Roma.
Day 5 - Roma QLD to Longreach QLD (7 hours 39 mins drive). Overnight in Longreach.
Day 6 - Longreach QLD to Mount Isa QLD (7 hours 3 mins drive). Overnight in Mount Isa.
Day 7 - Mount Isa QLD to Tennant Creek NT (7 hours 51 mins drive). Overnight at Tennant Creek.
Day 8 - Tennant Creek NT to Tindall NT (7 hours 40 mins drive).

You could always vary the above with 9 hrs 45 drive to Advancetown from Sydney. Day 2 entire day at Springbrook/Nat Bridge/Hinze/Purling Brook. Day 3 entire day at Sea World / Movie World (I'd go Movie World over the other 2).

Whatever theme park you do check their site for what rides are open/under maintenance for that period.

That will give you an idea anyway, but Nat Bridge/Purling/Hinze are definitely worth a look when up in that area. Advancetown is in Gold Coast hinterland and should be cheaper than staying on Gold Coast / Surfers.
So far we have gone, due to the kids having opinions and my wife threatening me with the usual, day 1 Sydney to Gold Coast 11 hours, spent 2 nights there did movie world and seaworld.
Day 3 Gold Coast to roma 6 hours.
Day 4 roma to Longreach 7 hours,
Day 5 Longreach to Mt Isa,
Day 6 Mt Isa to Tennant Creek.
Tomorrow is day 7 and we are staying at Daly Waters and then on day 8 short drive to Katherine. Only thing I got to see was the devils marbles today cause we got here so early, so far seen alot of sites, it's been amazing, couldn't say what the best thing was but still got 2 days to go, best is yet to come.

Attachments

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Is the Daly Waters pub the one where women pin their undies to the wall? Something to suggest to the missus...

Status
Not open for further replies.