Moving to a new place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I’ve just moved from interstate back to Sydney and have been offered by my real estate agent assistance connecting utilities through a company called Connectnow. Has anybody else used them?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
There are a few out there bro, from memory, some charge you for the service and some get commission from the companies.

Of course the agents get a cut if you use them.

I just suggest to do them yourself, time permitting. You will always find the better deals.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Easy as to do it yourself. Just call up supplier and supply your rental docs proving it’s your new address and they connect it in a few days

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Most suppliers give you a 27% discount if you combine electricity and gas. Plus further discount if you set up direct debit.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Always do it yourself. You'll always get it cheaper.

The way these companies work is they bargain for themselves. If a company is offering you electricity at market price then they'll talk the company down and pay 25% off market price but still charge you market price so they make a personal commission. Other companies just make a direct commission on the sale.

Just call the utilities yourself and say that you want a better deal. You can usually get them down to at least 20% off.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! Will do it myself. Hopefully I can get internet connected on the day I move in too

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Few things:
1. I've used DirectConnect before and found them great for our first rental. After that though (second rental) we just transferred the existing plans. They actually put us on the best (cheapest) plans, and did not appear to see a cut of it.
2. Internet - if it's NBN and an existing premises with the NTD already installed, normally they can get you on within 24-48 hours (Telstra).

Re utilities, I'm with AGL, and whilst I've been happy I'm considering changing. Why? Well because my bills are more expensive now, but mainly because I HATE the idea that they charge you 20% more if you do not pay by Direct Debt. That just pisses me off, because I like to know how much I'm paying before I pay the bill.

Then theres the 27% discount if you pay on time.

Our bills from changing homes to a more energy efficient one have somehow skyrocketed by over $100 a quarter with the same setup and devices, even with no AC running. I think they are fucking around with the figures in all honesty.... That or the smart meter is using more electricity than we actually are because we are on a fixed rate plan, not time of billing or controlled load.

Status
Not open for further replies.