Moving Players On

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whenever a new coach takes over, a few players under contract end up getting moved on in the offseason..

I can't see Barrett wanting Napa or Lewis and probably not DWZ either. Do you think there's any chance another club would be interested in any of these players or are we stuck with them?

We might have to pay some freight on all three, but it would be worth it to free up more cap space and get rid of some dead wood.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely we will be stuck with them. Napa can play off the bench, its his final year anyway. Same with Lewis, will probably be a back up half, if they can move him on it would be nice but I don't see too many teams chasing our duds. Looks like Barrett is going to have to instill some confidence and ball control into DWZ because we'll need him to play wing for the next 2yrs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we don't want them I doubt anyone else would either. I think we will find it difficult to move them on.

The fact we have over a million tied up in Napa and DWZ is mind blowing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Most likely we will be stuck with them. Napa can play off the bench, its his final year anyway. Same with Lewis, will probably be a back up half, if they can move him on it would be nice but I don't see too many teams chasing our duds. Looks like Barrett is going to have to instill some confidence and ball control into DWZ because we'll need him to play wing for the next 2yrs
You're probably right but some clubs might be interested at the right price and think that they can get the best out of them. We see all the time other teams rejects getting signed by another club.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Whenever a new coach takes over, a few players under contract end up getting moved on in the offseason..

I can't see Barrett wanting Napa or Lewis and probably not DWZ either. Do you think there's any chance another club would be interested in any of these players or are we stuck with them?

We might have to pay some freight on all three, but it would be worth it to free up more cap space and get rid of some dead wood.
Barrett may get more out of them especially Lewis.
If Foran doesn't re-sign then we have Lewis & Wakeham as our halves so Barrett will have a lot of work to do.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Barrett may get more out of them especially Lewis.
If Foran doesn't re-sign then we have Lewis & Wakeham as our halves so Barrett will have a lot of work to do.
I have faith in Barrett's coaching ability, especially with halves but you can't coach someone to throw a ball five metres on target. If he can't do that as a six year old, let alone in his third season of FG then there's nothing that can be done to help him.

The only hope is that another club values his willingness in defence and big boot and takes a chance on him on the cheap. Which isn't likely I know.

Either way the club will recruit a half. There's no way we can start next season with a combo of Lewis and Wakeham.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hopefully Barrett will seek out inner talent from each player and play to their full potential

if not #eggonfaces

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Tigers may buy DWZ since they were interested in him initially.
If the Storm are still interested in Lewis that would be a miracle
Napa....no fucking chance anybody would want him

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The only moving would be players that are currently off contract.

I highly doubt the current board will allow the same scenario as previously, with paying for our players to play at other clubs.

It will come down to who Barrett will keep and let go, out of the current crop off contract now.

1. Foran
2. Tolman
3. Elliott
4. Cogger
5. Lafai
6. Montoya
7. Sue
8. Holland
9. Katoa
10. Tass
11. Doorey
12. Harding
13. SWC

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lewis maybe (not on a lot, we have Averillo, Wakeham and BBO already). No other clubs will pay the full freight of the other twos contracts. We'd have to weigh up if it's worth having more dead cap space paying Napa (almost all of his contract) and DWZ to play elsewhere. I think DWZ is fine for now regardless.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lewis maybe (not on a lot, we have Averillo, Wakeham and BBO already). No other clubs will pay the full freight of the other twos contracts. We'd have to weigh up if it's worth having more dead cap space paying Napa (almost all of his contract) and DWZ to play elsewhere. I think DWZ is fine for now regardless.
You wouldn't have to pay all of Napa's deal. If he's on 550k, pay 250k of it and a club will take him for 300k for one year.

Promote a minimum salary junior into the 30 man squad and we have an extra 200k to spend.

If not, surely a club in England would take him and give him extra money and years..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The only moving would be players that are currently off contract.

I highly doubt the current board will allow the same scenario as previously, with paying for our players to play at other clubs.

It will come down to who Barrett will keep and let go, out of the current crop off contract now.

1. Foran
2. Tolman
3. Elliott
4. Cogger
5. Lafai
6. Montoya
7. Sue
8. Holland
9. Katoa
10. Tass
11. Doorey
12. Harding
13. SWC
Panthers are paying players to play at other clubs, e.g. RCG and Blake. Clubs make mistakes and sometimes it's more beneficial at the time to move players on even if you have dead salary cap space because you're paying them to play elsewhere. It also isn't the same scenario as when we did.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You wouldn't have to pay all of Napa's deal. If he's on 550k, pay 250k of it and a club will take him for 300k for one year.

Promote a minimum salary junior into the 30 man squad and we have an extra 200k to spend.

If not, surely a club in England would take him and give him extra money and years..
Reportedly on 650k. I can see another NRL club taking him for 300k. Can we buy (and promote) someone for 150-250k to do a better job than Napa, probably. Penrith were able to push Merrin to the Super League. We should be trying everything we can to do the same with Napa. If Napa can do well in the Super League, it has the be pretty trash. I don't even know if he'd be valuable there (for the full amount of his contract).

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we will look to move on Elliot (if he wants too much money) Montoya, Cogger, Holland and possibly Tols unless he signs for shitty money as an experienced bench forward. Personally I hope we shop Napa and replace him with someone like Alex Walmsley.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we will look to move on Elliot (if he wants too much money) Montoya, Cogger, Holland and possibly Tols unless he signs for shitty money as an experienced bench forward. Personally I hope we shop Napa and replace him with someone like Alex Walmsley.
Tolman off the bench is almost as worse as Tolman playing 60-70 minutes. He doesn't offer any impact whatsoever.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tolman off the bench is almost as worse as Tolman playing 60-70 minutes. He doesn't offer any impact whatsoever.
More for experience is what I am suggesting. Brisbane is a great example of not getting rid of all your experienced players not matter how good your young prospects are...