Movie Discussion

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No - I'm outraged that they are using someone who will not give a more accurate depiction of what the fictional character should look like.

I'd be equally as outraged if Pocahontas was played by someone who wasn't a Native American - and I'm talking an actual Native American, not some white trash idiot who claims to be Native American based on a distant relative they've never met or cared about, making them 1/64th Native American.
Should a mermaid be white? i haven't met any mermaids IRL, so no idea what colour they are supposed to be.

Pocahontas is a tad different, being an actual person and all (and even if she wasn't, being native American is kind of pivotal to the character)...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No - I'm outraged that they are using someone who will not give a more accurate depiction of what the fictional character should look like.

I'd be equally as outraged if Pocahontas was played by someone who wasn't a Native American - and I'm talking an actual Native American, not some white trash idiot who claims to be Native American based on a distant relative they've never met or cared about, making them 1/64th Native American.
I don't really see an issue with changing a mermaid. The original character was white, but it's a fictional creature. If it were a black Snow White or a black whatsherface from Brave, then I would see the issue with it.

I think the worst two wrong takes I've seen on this subject both come from Kotaku. They include:

1) praising Full Metal Alchemist for replacing all the white European characters with Japanese actors in blonde wigs

2) criticising Iron Fist for using a white actor to play a white character

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't really see an issue with changing a mermaid. The original character was white, but it's a fictional creature. If it were a black Snow White or a black whatsherface from Brave, then I would see the issue with it.

I think the worst two wrong takes I've seen on this subject both come from Kotaku. They include:

1) praising Full Metal Alchemist for replacing all the white European characters with Japanese actors in blonde wigs

I guess it depends on the features of the character and how important it is to the narrative. Take James Bond. I think his backstory is he is half Swiss, half Scottish? Chances of a guy with that background being black or Asian is slim, but plausible I guess.

A mermaid is completely fictional as as creature, and so, why the hell not?

i'm not one to really care too much for mild whitewashing etc, and well, why can't a CIS person play a trans character, a muslim play a jew, or a gay man play a straights etc?

I'd probably draw the line though where Gary Oldman played a dwarf... I mean, come on...

1663209495870.png

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the end of the day I couldn't give a shit about whether people think things are woke. If the actors do a good job and the storyline is strong/interesting I'll enjoy what I'm watching.

These days the sad thing for me is that the bulk of action movies follow the same formula. Typically the hero starts out getting their ass kicked, come close to quitting, have the lightbulb moment through self reflection/team building/personal training etc before returning to the fight and getting back into the winners circle.

So woke ideals don't bother me. It'd be nice if I didn't go into a movie knowing pretty much how every story will evolve.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
At the end of the day I couldn't give a shit about whether people think things are woke. If the actors do a good job and the storyline is strong/interesting I'll enjoy what I'm watching.

These days the sad thing for me is that the bulk of action movies follow the same formula. Typically the hero starts out getting their ass kicked, come close to quitting, have the lightbulb moment through self reflection/team building/personal training etc before returning to the fight and getting back into the winners circle.

So woke ideals don't bother me. It'd be nice if I didn't go into a movie knowing pretty much how every story will evolve.
Yeah, these days is all about sequel/prequels/franchise/marvel etc. Its just so formulaic, and boring. Just give me a good plot, characters, and i don't really care either way about the other stuff.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Should a mermaid be white? i haven't met any mermaids IRL, so no idea what colour they are supposed to be.

Pocahontas is a tad different, being an actual person and all (and even if she wasn't, being native American is kind of pivotal to the character)...
I don't care if it was an alien that didn't exist - the fact is that the individual playing Ariel does not look like her. It's got nothing to do with race or skin, it's purely based on what the character should look like.

Wahesh

Reaction score

Do you have a link to these? I wouldn't mind reading up on it.

Wahesh

Reaction score

This is a pretty good one, they tried to get the character looking somewhat like the cartoon.

Last edited:

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Merman CroydonDog merman
zoolander-ben-stiller.gif

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you have a link to these? I wouldn't mind reading up on it.