Movie Discussion

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I may hold off watching Tomb Raider. I watched the IGN review and they pretty much pointed out everything wrong with the movie and it's pretty much what I feared including:

- In the 2013 game it's based on Lara Croft is a young archaeologist who is following her deceased father's research to find this mysterious island. She crashes on the island. She only has minimal hunting and survival training that she received from her father. She has to learn how to survive. It creates this amazing story about a woman learning to survive against all odds. But....

- In the movie her father isn't dead but is missing. She's searching for him. Before she starts the journey she has no interest in archaeology and she also happens to be a professional MMA fighter with archery skills. So instead of having an archaeologist learning to survive, we have a survivalist learning to like archaeology. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it

- The villain is rubbish. The review points out that he isn't remotely threatening and just seems out of place

- The story is pushed to the back and the movie focuses on average action sequences
It seems what I complaint about is the major downfall of the movie? I saw the ign review as well and was shocked it was done by a female. Usually it’s a blind 9/10 with a strong kick ass female lead, but it’s like even some leftists understand what rebooted Lara was all about. Like I said I think this decision to make her a kick ass hero from the start takes sooooo much away from character building and emotional investment into the character and movie. But hey Hollywood says timesup every female must be born with mma genetics haha

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How is it fucken sexism I actually heard it was released in the cinema for a couple weeks but did hopeless then Netflix bought it something and released it on their streaming channel. Can you confirm?
Yep. Was originally released in cinemas in America and China. The worst part is that the international Netflix release had nothing to do with sexism or poor reception. There was a conflict between the Paramount Pictures executives and the Producer. The executives wanted the movie changed as they didn't like the ending and they wanted to make Natalie Portman's character more likeable. The producer refused to change it. This lead to a huge conflict resulting in Paramount only having the rights to release it in America and China. The production company did a deal with Netflix to release it everywhere else.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep. Was originally released in cinemas in America and China. The worst part is that the international Netflix release had nothing to do with sexism or poor reception. There was a conflict between the Paramount Pictures executives and the Producer. The executives wanted the movie changed as they didn't like the ending and they wanted to make Natalie Portman's character more likeable. The producer refused to change it. This lead to a huge conflict resulting in Paramount only having the rights to release it in America and China. The production company did a deal with Netflix to release it everywhere else.
i hate how everything that isnt liked or doesnt go according to plan it is coz its either due to sexism or racism. you know apparently amy schumars netflic comedy act bombed so hard thats when they said they are going to change the rating format as to not hurt the feelings lol and amy's reason as to why her show did bad is coz........... have a guess lol, if you guessed coz her show was just shitand shes not funny and steals jokes, then no you are wrong and most likely a sexist, the reason it bombed is because men are sexist to comediennes because theyre threatened at how funny women are lol.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
i hate how everything that isnt liked or doesnt go according to plan it is coz its either due to sexism or racism. you know apparently amy schumars netflic comedy act bombed so hard thats when they said they are going to change the rating format as to not hurt the feelings lol and amy's reason as to why her show did bad is coz........... have a guess lol, if you guessed coz her show was just shitand shes not funny and steals jokes, then no you are wrong and most likely a sexist, the reason it bombed is because men are sexist to comediennes because theyre threatened at how funny women are lol.
I'm all for female comedians, it's just that actual funny ones are few and far between. Most are just awkward or try hards or just plain shit house and unfunny. Nothing to do with ur sex if ur material is shit.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. The females get pretty fucked up. There was also one scene that made me laugh a little. Without giving away any real spoilers, they find the site from the previous all male squad and the soldier chick picks up the M249 machine gun and says something like, "No way. Way too heavy". I instantly thought, "Well the men didn't have issues with it"

Funny thing though. The cast is almost entirely female and that was deliberate. The after testing they decided to release it to Netflix rather than the cinemas. Reviews have been generally favourable but I listened to Tripe J review it and they spent most of the review saying how sexist Hollywood is for not releasing the movie at the cinemas. The funny part being that this isn't the first blockbuster style movie that's been released straight to Netflix and it won't be the last. This is the trend that movies are taking and it has nothing to do with sexism.
Yeah i am quite happy to see more stuff go this way and straight to netflix or <insert other streaming service here>. Traditional cinema has become so fucking boring now, yipeee lets go watch fast & the furious 502 or some other boring franchise regurgitating the same shit over and over. At least these streaming services are putting out somewhat unique films, even if some of them are a bit hit and miss.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm all for female comedians, it's just that actual funny ones are few and far between. Most are just awkward or try hards or just plain shit house and unfunny. Nothing to do with ur sex if ur material is shit.
you telling me its not about sex? amy schumar and the leftists make it about the sex by crying sexism when they do shit lol, they need to just accpet men are genetically funnier :grinning:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The funniest I've ever seen wasn't even a real show. It was an animated part from GTA 4 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The funniest I've ever seen wasn't even a real show. It was an animated part from GTA 4 :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Katt Williams is a funny dude. This is the first stand up skit i seen of his back in the day.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's certain female comedians I like for example The Kates (Get Krack!n), some of the SNL ladies, Roseanne, Janeane Garofalo... but there's definitely many, many more male comedians I prefer. I think it comes down to the relate-ability of the comedian and the content. I find toilet humour and standard male humour funnier than, "Don't you hate it when you can smell your own vagina?"

Wahesh

Reaction score

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
7/11 sells them for $1, but it's from a machine and tastes like shit.

I go to the Duo in Pitt St. It's actually $3 but they have happy hour (that goes for 5 hours) from 7am-12noon.

It costs about 37 cents (if that) for a business to make a cup of coffee, so I aim to pay as little as possible.

https://www.zomato.com/sydney/the-duo-cbd
https://www.zomato.com/sydney/the-duo-cbd/reviews
What about all the money they spend putting a pimple covered teenager through a barista course only for them to serve you a cold coffee with burnt milk.

Wahesh

Reaction score
What about all the money they spend putting a pimple covered teenager through a barista course only for them to serve you a cold coffee with burnt milk.
There have only been 2 places I've gone to where the coffee has been made perfectly.

1. Harris Street Cafe. The Japanese Barista there makes every coffee with pride. Even if there's a long queue, he will make every coffee perfectly. He mastered it.

2. Donut King, Castle Towers. Seriously, I asked a teenage employee, must've been 16, for a skim mocha. She nailed it. Exactly the same as the Japanese guy in Harris Cafe. Some people are naturally just born with it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There have only been 2 places I've gone to where the coffee has been made perfectly.

1. Harris Street Cafe. The Japanese Barista there makes every coffee with pride. Even if there's a long queue, he will make every coffee perfectly. He mastered it.

2. Donut King, Castle Towers. Seriously, I asked a teenage employee, must've been 16, for a skim mocha. She nailed it. Exactly the same as the Japanese guy in Harris Cafe. Some people are naturally just born with it.
Very true. I've had great coffees from random places in the middle of nowhere. Even had a random McCafe serve a great coffee and I always complain about how terrible the McCafe coffee is. But I've also had some really high quality cafes make terrible coffee so it happens

Wahesh

Reaction score
I saw The Assignment last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5034474/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ok... I have a mixed bag about this one.

So picture this... Michelle Rodriguez plays the lead in a fairly decent cast also starring Tony Shalhoub, Signourney Weaver and Australia's own Anthony LaPaglia.

Michelle Rodriguez plays Frank Kitchen, yep. FRANK. A rugged, cold blooded, long haired, thick bearded assassin. This was a letdown for me because as a Michelle Rodriguez fan, I immediately knew it was her as soon as we saw Frank make his first appearance. Anyway... Frank has an Assignment in Vegas and takes out a strip club owner. Little does Frank know that he just took out the brother of a highly sophisticated and talented plastic surgeon, Dr. Rachel Jane, play by Sigourney Weaver. Rather than kill Frank, Dr. Rachel uses her talents as a plastic surgeon to give him a sex change and turn him into a woman. It is at this point we see the real Michelle Rodriguez come out. It be honest, it was quit weird seeing Frank Kitchen with a hairy chest, and a beard. The voice was also very obviously put on, so I was counting down to seeing Michelle Appear. It was also a little revealing when we see Frank/Michelle touch herself in various parts discovering her new found feminism.

Her reasoning for changing Frank's sex were as follows...

- She didn't kill him because she believes everyone deserves a second chance
- She wanted him to become a woman as they are the more elegant sex
- She wanted him to suffer for what he did
- She wanted to put her talents into practice

So the Doctor hires some thugs to knock Frank out, one of those thugs being Anthony LaPaglia, and they go into business with Frank before betraying him and knocking him out, handing him on a silver platter to the Doctor.

The Doctor is then deemed mentally unwell, and throughout the movie is assessed by another Doctor played by Tony Shalhoub.

The rest of the movie has a lot of assassinations anf Frank discovering himself as a woman.

Now this movie started off very poorly and looked like a poor man's Quinton Tarantino film, but it kept you hanging. The twists that come as the movie progresses are also nicely done - there is one very big twist towards the end.

Overall, an extra cheesy film that left me wanting more. I didn't want it to end when it did, truth be told.

7/10.

Michelle Rodrigues as Frank Kitchen.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
So far on IMDb 6.8/10 for 32,448 votes. That's not too bad for that website.